Dog park

Dog park

A Chapter by Kayla Wilson
"

Adorable date with a small freak out from our tiny genius

"
It's our first date today.

Ok, technically it's our second cause it only happens after she hit me in the head. It doesn't count cause it wasn't a real date. But that's not the point. Today is the first official date. I made a plan. A perfect and cute date.

A picnic at the dog park.

I know, I know. This could either go really well or really REALLY bad. But I got this. I got flowers, a blanket, adorable food basket and dog treats to feed the puppies. I'm only 7 but I think I got this date handled.

My mom is walking to Kahlan's house cause,

“You may be smart, honey, but you ain't that big yet. I'll keep my distance and let you to be cute and have fun, but I'll be there to watch out just in case.”

As we walk toward her house, I get nervous, more and more as we get closer. I stop walking and look up at my mom.

“What if I mess up? What if she doesn't like dogs? *gasp WHAT IF SHE'S ALLERGIC?”

I continue to freak out.

“Oh no!! WHAT IF SHE DOESN'T LIKE MAC N CHEESE!?!?!? I AM AN INCLINED PLANE WRAPPED HELICALLY AROUND AN AXIS!!!”

“You are not screwed, honey. You know she likes dogs cause you met her at the dog park. (Not your finest moment by the way.) So you also know she's not allergic to dogs. You are an amazing person and I know you won't mess this up. And lastly I don't know a single kid on this planet that doesn't like mac n cheese. So you are gonna take a second and brea th cause my little Rae of sunshine can handle anything.”

“Oh, right.”

“Now, I want you to stand up straight, fix your bowtie and be ready to pet some dogs.”

I'm ready to go now.

“Yeah, I got this.”

We start walking again and in a short while, we arrive. I walk up to the front door and knock. You can hear Mrs. Williams yell something but I can't quit tell through the door. There's a few footsteps and a lock click, and then the door opens.

“We'll don't you look adorable. Kahlan is almost ready, she just needed shoes.”

She looks over at my mom and starts talking to her.

“I was planning on going with them just to make sure nothing happens.”

My mom agrees.

“Oh good, I was planning on doing the same thing.”

“Would you like to come inside for some coffee? We can put it in to-go cups so we can take it with us to the park.”

“Sure, that'd be great.”

The conversation they're having fades to nothing when Kahlan gets to the top of the stairs. My jaw drops immediately. She's in a flower dress with white leggings and vans. She also has her hair down in pretty waves. She descends the stairs and grabs my bowtie to straighten it.

“Hi cutie!”

I'm stuck. Once again, I am mesmerized and I don't know what to say, but I have to say something.

“PURPLE DINOSAUR!!”

I can hear my mom facepalm behind me as Kahlan giggles.

“Having another panic moment there honey?”

I can only nod my head. I pick up the food basket along with my jaw off of the floor and gesture to the front door.

“Uh….food….umm...outside……*squeak….um….Mac n cheese??? Uh….a picnic with puppies???”

Kahlan grabs my hand.

“Yeah cutie, let's have a picnic at the dog park.”

Mrs. Williams calls from the kitchen,

“You kids ready to go?”

I'm finally able to speak proper english.

“Yes ma'am, I think we are.”

Kahlan and I walk hand in hand down the street with our moms a few feet behind us. It's only a few minutes to the park and we walk in a comfortable silence. We round the corner and you can already hear dogs barking and having fun. I reach into the basket and pull out the bag of dog treats. Kahlan gets excited. I hand them over and she runs ahead and starts handing out treats. Mrs. Williams calls ahead,

“Don't leave your date behind Kahlan.”

“It's ok Mrs. Williams, she's excited to see the dogs.”

I take the time while she's playing with dogs to set our the blanket and sit down. I watch as Kahlan plays with a German Shepherd puppy. She chases it around for a while but eventually the puppy gets tired so it and it's owner leave. Our moms have sat down on a bench now far from the blanket. Kahlan is done playing with the puppy and comes over to set down on the blanket but she's tired so she crashes and rolls.

“That puppy might have more energy than you.”

She laughs.

“You think you're funny?”

I nod my head and laugh.

“Good, cause you are funny.”

I decide to open the basket of food for lunch.

“So, for lunch I give you, (drumroll please),............ I give you homemade Mac n cheese, sliced strawberries, juice boxes, and chocolate covered oreos. And if you don't like that I have pb and j’s.”

I grab each thing out as I list it off and set it on the blanket. I kept the drinks separate so they would be cold.

“That's a lot of food. Did you make the make the mac n cheese?”

With a proud smile on my face I say,

“Yes I did. But when I say homemade I really mean I made it on the stove from the box. So technically still homemade.”

“You cheated a little but,” She takes the first bite, “You did well.”

I smile and giggle, grabbing a juice box.

“Well, I'm glad you enjoy it.”

We eat quietly, and enjoy the nice weather. I steal glances at her cause she's so beautiful. We watch our moms in an intense conversation. They had set their coffee down so they can talk with their hands. We watch and laugh at their behavior. Kahlan finishes eating and lays down to watch the clouds. I finish up and lay down next to her. We sit there in the quiet watching the sky, listening to the sounds around us. A little beagle comes up to us and climbs me. It plops itself right on my chest and falls asleep.

“This little guy is so cute. I wanna keep him.”

Kahlan didn't see the puppy climb me so she leans up to take a look. She scoots closer so she can pet the beagle. When she sits up, her hair falls just right and the sunlight is just so perfect. She's just so,

“Beautiful.”

I said it out loud again.

“What is?”

“You, in the light, just like that. The smile on your face right now. It's just beautiful.”

“We'll you look pretty good there yourself there babe.”

Pretty soon, our moms come over and it's time for us to leave. We pack up real quick and pet a few dogs on the way home. When we get to her house I walk her to the front door. Her mom heads on in and waits.

“I had a really great time with you today. You will definitely be cooking mac n cheese for me again.”

I smile real big moving my bowtie.

“I had a great time too. Could we do it again sometime? Like a date? Maybe not the dog park. Mini golf or go karting or a movie. I mean I'm ok with anything as long as you are. Oh, maybe an arcade or roller skating or or or something. It's it's up to you. That is if you actually want to go out with me again. I hope you do cause I do but if you don't or something that's ok it's it's totally fine-”

Kahlan interrupts me by kissing me on the cheek. I stop talking and kiss her cheek too. We're both smiling like idiots. Kahlan turns to walk on the house. Before she closes the door she says,

“I'll see you soon Raelyn Carter.”

“And I you, Kahlan Williams.”

She shuts the door and I'm practically skipping all the way home. Mom asks,

“So how'd it go?”

All I can do is giggle.


© 2018 Kayla Wilson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
Added on April 25, 2018
Last Updated on April 25, 2018
Tags: bowtie, mac n cheese, Dogs, cute date


Author

Kayla Wilson
Kayla Wilson

Powder Springs, GA



About
I'm a non binary asexual bean. I've had alot of bad thing happen in my life. Writing is how I vent. Any criticism (in its kind form) will be appreciated. more..

Writing
Big sister?? Big sister??

A Chapter by Kayla Wilson


She's gone She's gone

A Chapter by Kayla Wilson