Let's go home

Let's go home

A Chapter by Kayla Wilson
"

Court case for Chyler

"
A few months ago Kahlan And I moved into a house of our own. Medium size, 2 floors, decent back yard for a dog and a treehouse. It looks really good and it will last us a long time. We’re in our bedroom currently. Kahlan is doing her makeup while i get dressed. After the concert where my dad decided to show up and wave a gun around and threaten an entire theater full of people, he was arrested so Kahlan and I filed for custody of Chyler. Today is the court date for testimony and paperwork. If it all works out, Chyler comes home with us today. Mrs. Williams said she would meet us at the courthouse so she could testify against my father since she can give a first-hand account of some of what happened. The lawyer has the photos and hospital records for all the trips to the emergency room over the years. It's only a few nails in his coffin but he’s definitely turning over custody after I testify. There is no way we don’t win today.

We leave the house, locking up and hop in the car. Kahlan’s driving her baby and we hold hands across the middle console. We get through traffic and eventually make it to the courthouse parking outfront. Mrs. Williams is already there and discussing things with the lawyer.

“We have all the evidence and we have a strong case. All we need is your testimony and description and this will all be over. You can take Chyler home and you can all live in peace. Your father, however, will be in prison for a long time.”

The lawyer keeps telling us more about the proceedings as we walk toward and into the courtroom. Social Services arrives with Chyler and she immediately runs to me and Kahlan for hugs.

“I missed you both so much.”

Chyler says.

“We missed you too babygirl. All we have to do is talk, show the pictures, and sign a few papers and you should be good to go home with us today.”

Chyler does a small happy dance after hearing that. We all get seated soon after and they bring my father in the room in the special orange jumpsuit. Finally, the clerk says,

“All rise.”

He continues the speech about who the judge is, case number, the defendant's name and what-not, but i just want to leave here with Chyler and never have to worry about my father again. For some weird reason he gets a public defender cause I know he can’t afford one. I know the law says so, but my father doesn’t deserve defending.

The court proceeding begin with both lawyers making opening statements. They lay out the evidence and state what they want the court to hear. My dad’s lawyer is attempting to make my dad into a hero standing up for his family after my mom’s death, but it doesn’t matter. It’s time for me to take the stand.

“Your Honor, I would like to call my first witness to the stand. Will Raelyn Carter please come up to the stand?”

I walk up after a hand squeeze from my wife and swear on the bible that I’ll tell the truth.

“Why do you wish to have custody of your sister?”

My response is immediate.

“When she was born, I promised my mother that i would always care for her and protect Chyler from anything that can harm her. After all that my father has done to us, the best way to protect her is to keep her away from him. My sister will be able to live with me and my wife in a nice house, go to school in a great neighborhood, and be able to walk around a house without stepping on glass.”

My lawyer continues,

“Do tell Mrs. Carter, What has your father done to you?”

I take a deep breath and begin.

“Its Carter-Williams now, and what my father did was cause pain. Ever since mom died in the car accident, he blamed me for her death. He hit the bottle hard which then caused him to hit Chyler and hard as well.”

As I’m talking my lawyer is showing the judge the hospital records, X-rays, and photographs. I can see the judge grimace as he looks at the photos. I keep talking as my father’s lawyer views the same evidence.

“There were so many bottles on the floor. Solid ones, broken ones, glass embedded into the fibers of the carpet. I have scars on my feet from glass that cut through my shoes. He would get so drunk he would sleep and never go to work. I couldn’t legally work so we starved. We didn’t have heat cause he couldn’t pay the electric bill or the plumbing. When he did wake up, he thought it was my fault and he would beat me. I had broken ribs, bruises for days. It was so bad, Chyler had to stay at Kahlan’s house to eat, sleep, and get to school.”

The judge asks,

“Who is Kahlan?”

“She’s my wife, sir. At the time we were only dating, her mom took us in and made sure we were cared for. When Kahlan and I moved to colleges three years ago, It seemed to get better. He drank a little less and not seeing my face made him less angry. Now a few months ago, Kahlan and I get a phone call. My father got mad cause she asked for homework advice and he ended up breaking her arm. She needed a cast for her arm and stitches for the glass in her feet. That day i vowed that I would apply for custody so i can protect her. I graduate from college next week. I have a job lined up after that so she’ll be cared for and supported. Kahlan just got signed to the US Women's soccer team. We’re ready to love her forever, we just need custody.”

My lawyer finally speaks.

“That will be all your Honor.”

The judge brings his head out of the photos and says,

“Opposition, your witness.”

My dad’s lawyer stands up with a grimm look on his face.

“I can’t, your Honor. I cannot within my morals defend this man. I move to have Chyler placed into the Carter-Williams custody today and have this man tried for multiple counts of child abuse, child neglect, and attempted murder and kidnapping. Not to mention the DUI’s for drinking and driving.”

“I agree,Councilor. The child will be placed in the custody of the Carter-Williams family and the defendant will be tried for all of his accumulated crimes.”

The gavel falls and my shoulders sag in relief. My father hangs his head defeated. I exit the stand and run to my sister lifting her into the air. She giggles like a goof, smiling happy.

“You’re safe babygirl. You’re gonna grow up strong and he’ll never hurt us again.’

I place Chyler on my shoulders as we sign paperwork and head for the car. Kahlan opens the door for us and says.

“Lets go home.”


© 2018 Kayla Wilson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

95 Views
Added on April 25, 2018
Last Updated on April 25, 2018
Tags: Court case, description of violence


Author

Kayla Wilson
Kayla Wilson

Powder Springs, GA



About
I'm a non binary asexual bean. I've had alot of bad thing happen in my life. Writing is how I vent. Any criticism (in its kind form) will be appreciated. more..

Writing
Dog park Dog park

A Chapter by Kayla Wilson


Big sister?? Big sister??

A Chapter by Kayla Wilson