~invitaiton~ [chapter4]

~invitaiton~ [chapter4]

A Chapter by lovely haerts

It had taken so long for them to put out that fire nearly twice as much land was burned then they had originally planned. Half the forest was gone. That meant they would need to burn the rest in one go as well. Thankfully everything else went according to plan and no one and nothing was harmed. The animals had understood that the thunder was a warning once there was a faint whiff of smoke. The boys made sure to warn the authorities of another storm that would be just as dangerous.

“I have an injury, sir. It aches when there is an upcoming storm,” Izac lied smoothly explaining how they knew about the storm. “It has not steered me wrong yet!” he added firmly, nodding. Grandal gave the young man a hard look. He did not know if he could trust these boys. If he had not witnessed the storm with his own eyes he would have swore the boys had purposely started the fire.

“You two must come immediately to notify me if such a thing were to repeat itself. I’ll see to it that Douglas lets you in promptly.” He threw a glance in his guard’s direction " who nodded in response. “Oh, and boys?” Grandal said with amusement. “Do not doubt that you will be rewarded for your good deeds. You two young gentlemen are hereby invited to the upcoming ball in a few weeks. You will receive a formally written invitation as soon as possible. I will expect you both to be there.” He looked from one boy to the other and couldn’t tell which one was the one he had met now and which he had met before. “And I expect you to be on your best behavior. There will be many a young eligible ladies attending.” He chuckled as the boys threw each other bewildered glances. “If you should need anything to get for the ball do not hesitate to ask? I want you to look your best for those young ladies.” Grandal watched as one of the boys grinned at the mention of young ladies and another looked away with indifference. I wonder if he already has someone in mind. Maybe she too will attend. Grandal grinned. He was going to keep an eye on these boys.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            Brianna spent the day cooking and cleaning. She sighed as she looked down at her once beautiful clothes. The Maxwells had kept their promise of giving her fine clothes. Mostly to keep up their loving charade. Lady Margaret Maxwell made sure Brianna was always well dressed just in case of an unexpected guest. When ever they had a guest over they always treated her the way she had imagined they would treat her when she first moved in with her. Because it was still early she changed her dress and socked the first one. She would clean it tonight and it would be dry by morning.

            As she changed she heard a knocking at the door below and sped up, sucking in a breath when she pulled the corset too tight. When she was done she grabbed her skirts and ran down the stairs. She watched as Maggot greeted the strange women who came in. she was a beautiful women with long bronze hair tucked into a bonnet which she released when she got inside. Maggot led the women into the living room and Brianna watched as she held on to the most beautiful silky skirts she had ever seen. She stared at the strange lovely women who smiled back at her.

            “And who might this lovely young lady?” The women asked in a sweet voice, giving Brianna a caring look. Brianna curtsied as Maggot introduced her. She was surprised when she felt her face warm. She had blushed at the complement. “I know you must be wondering so I will tell you who I am.” Brianna paused wanting to know more than this women could imagine. She saw the kindness and sincerity in the woman’s eyes and wished she had been taken in by someone like "

            “I am Lady Cynthia Grandal. And I have come to pay this house a visit because my husband and I are inviting all the eligible young women of our little town of Weston to a ball in the upcoming weeks. I have a son that is looking for a bride. He turns eighteen this week. Of course we are also inviting eligible young men other than my son,” She winked. “I will expect you to be there. In the most stunning of clothes you own, miss Brianna.” Brianna’s ears were deceiving her. There was no way Maggot could stop her from attending now.

            “Oh thank you!” Brianna shouted, engulfing Lady Grandal in an embrace. Cynthia faltered, surprise etched across her face before hugging Brianna back. Cynthia felt Brianna stiffen once she realized what she had done lost in her glee. She watched as the fifteen year old girl slowly backed away and mumbled an apology. She noticed how Lady Maxwell was glaring fiercely at the girl. She felt a tug of sympathy for the girl. She knew from experience how harsh the old women could be. She had grown up with Katherine Maxwell and often stayed the night when Kate would beg her to. She had said that they were only nice when Cindy was around. She shook her head.

“I must be leaving now,” her suspicions confirmed when Brianna’s face fell. But alas she had to go invite the other young women. She took the written invitation on the table and tucked her long hair back into her bonnet getting ready to leave.

            “Come visit us again soon!” Brianna called after her. Cindy smiled. Oh I will, I will. Do not worry. I know what you can not speak of. And with that she left. 



© 2012 lovely haerts


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
Added on September 6, 2012
Last Updated on September 6, 2012


Author

lovely haerts
lovely haerts

New York, NY



About
I love purple. I love to read and listen to music. I love reading. I am an amateur writer. This is my first time experimenting with writing. I really appreciate feed back, no matter what it is. .. more..

Writing