~Preparations~ [chp6]

~Preparations~ [chp6]

A Chapter by lovely haerts

As the days wore on and there was nothing for the boys to do they started to worry about the upcoming event. There was no way they would be able to afford new clothing and the ones they had certainly would not due. The boys could honestly say they were dreading the event. They were both worried about seeing one girl specifically. One was worried about how his brother would react to seeing her there and the other was afraid he would see her with someone courting her. He knew that that was what she needed �" someone to take care of her �" but he also knew logic made the pain no less bearable. She had always seen him as a brother.

            Nonetheless they new they would attend the ball. Grandal had even invited them to see him ahead of time to make sure everything was on track for the ball. Today was that day. They planned on keeping their word and attending the ball so they were going to be honest with Grandal and maybe he had a friend who would be willing to hire them. They both awoke early that morning, no cold water needed. They were anxious, knowing Grandal owed them no favor and it might be considered rude of them to ask him for one. Was it not enough he had invited them to a ball that held the very important people of the ton? They walked towards the grand house in silence and were greeted by Douglas when they arrived.

            “Good day, lads!” He smiled warmly at the two similar but slightly distinguished faces. He thought Izac’s face was even more familiar that he had thought Jack’s was. He even had a sense of de ja vu when Izac smiled up at him. He shook off the feeling as he led them inside. As they walked into the foyer a maid scuttled past and Douglas noticed one of the boys follow her with his eyes and one look at his shoes. He turned around and let his smirk slip off his face as he nearly ran right into Lady Grandal. He could tell that she was not surprised to see the boys.

            “Douglas, dear! Be a lamb and call Pete down. He is currently in his study.” She told the guard, not taking her eyes off the boys. They were devilishly handsome. She smiled sadly at the boys and thought of how her children would be only a couple of years younger than these two had she had children after she married Pete. She had married him because he was always so kind to her and she had been there for him after he found out he had become a widower just like he had been there for her when her father died. Everyone thought she was too young for him but the heart wants what the heart wants. She had even been close friends with his daughter. She shook her head. Now was not the time to think of her husbands lost daughter.

            “So, which one of you boys is Jack and which is Izac?” she asked remembering what her husband had told her about them.

            “I am…” they both said at the same time, she laughed. “Jack” “Izac” the said giving each other to say their names.

            “And I assume you will both be attending my ball?” she asked, eyes flickering from one boy to the next and back. They both shrugged then nodded. She was caught between being amused at how in sync they were to being upset that they seemed not to want to attend.

            “You see,” Jack started. “That’s what we need to speak with your husband about.” Izac finished.

            “And what seems to be the problem?” she asked upset.

“We don’t have the means to buy new clothes for the ball. And we need jobs.” They said together. Cynthia was quiet as she thought of their predicament. She wanted to help them.

The boys stared back at the lovely women in front of them. She seemed to have good intentions and though the boys had not planned on telling her why they did not want to attend but had both spilled when they had seen the hurt look written on her face. They had noticed that the look she gave them and so proceeded to finish each other’s sentences and overlap their speech and judge her reaction. She had been delighted. They had even managed to make the sad gleam in her eyes disappear as she focused on them.

They tried to be honest lads even though they had long since mastered the art of pick pocketing.  They wanted to help the world become better not fill it with crooks. They all looked up at the sound of footsteps. Grandal looked first at his wife’s face witch was smiling up at him. He felt his heart swell with love. After his wife died and he was officially a widower, he thought he would never love again. Especially after his daughter went missing. The last thing that connected him with the late Lady Grandal gone. But he was wrong. His heart belonged to Cynthia even more than it had belonged to anyone before. Even if she could not bare him children. What a crying shame. He thought silently. Shaking his head to clear his thoughts he looked at his guests. He frowned when he thought of how he had been with these boys on two other occasions and saw now that they were still wearing the same clothes they had had on before. At least they are clean. He thought, shrugging away his worry.

“Greetings everyone,” he smiled. “I am glad to see you here, gentleman.” He shook each of their hands. “How is everything?” he asked genuinely concerned.

“Fine.” They both answered in unison. All three gentlemen turned to stare at a tinkling Lady Grandal as she laughed at the boys’ response.

“That was a bit rushed, do you not agree, Pete?” she covered her smile with a gloved hand, stifling her giggles. The boys looked back and forth between the couple whom they could admit were a great match, despite the age difference. They looked up at Grandal. Who was leaning aginst the side of Lady Grandal’s chair but still managed to smile down at her than looked back at her. Who was still trying not to smile, her posture as perfect as ever.

Cynthia looked at the boys’ blank faces and could not help but laugh once again. They looked so much like Pete when she would surprise him. Come to think of it, now that they were all in the same room, the boys looked a lot like her husband. She suddenly turned serious. They had some similarities. Like the way they would make the same polite smile and look to the left when something made them shy. It was the look they had both given her when she had asked about their names. Pete gave her the same look sometimes. Or the way there faces turned blank when surprised. That’s always been the way Pete would look when she surprised him. There was also the curve of their jaw. If Pete were younger he could be mistaken as their father. There was also something a bout their eyes she could not place.

“Now boys,” Grandal said as he stood up straight and put his hands behind his back. “I expect you both to be attending the ball.” Cindy noticed how he paused when he noticed the boys cringe. “I will be sending tailors to you home tomorrow to receive your measurements and start on the clothes you will need to attend. I, of course, will have the pleasure of paying for them myself.” He added getting an approving nod from his wife. As the boys tried to decline the offer, Cindy gave them a sharp look making them make their shy face and nod.

“Do you know the saying ‘give a man a fish, he is fed for a day. Teach a man to fish, he is fed for a life time’?” she asked, looking around. They all nodded. “Well, I think it wonderful to help you boys attend the ball in fine clothes but I do not believe you are too happy about it.” She smiled when they nodded and looked to the left. “As I thought. Pete, dear. Do not just expect them to take from you willingly. And I believe Douglas would be happy for the help.” She could see that the boys were lost but not her husband.

“Yes and they could live here too just like Douglas.” Cindy liked the idea of having the boys close. Maybe she could treat them like the sons she could never have. “Its better than the shabby place they call home.” Cindy gave Pete a warning look. The boys grinned at each other and had to admit that their cozy by the forest home, was not very cozy now that the forest was gone. Especially since it had been badly charred after the second fire. “So boys? What do you say? Want to become my new guards and get paid as much as Douglas? I will be responsible for you and anything you shall need. I will give you time to think it threw. I expect another visit soon.” The boys could see that Grandal was fairly pleased with the offer and could agree it was a sweet deal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brianna was having the best week. She had not had a week so good since she left the orphanage and all her friends. All maggot could speak of was how the whole ton would be present at the ball.

“You will need your own dresses for these balls. Kate’s hand-me-downs will not do. The styles are much too old. If you are to find a good match you need to look your best.” Brianna was happy to see that she had gotten thinner. And in only a week! Things could not get better. If she kept it up maggot might even get her a whole new wardrobe. She was ecstatic. When maggot was this busy she was kinder to Brianna. They also got to speak more, almost bond. Brianna knew that the ball season would start soon and maggot would always be this busy. She could not wait for the day of the ball. She would look stunning and might even make new friends. Not to mention she felt hopeful when she thought of Lady Grandal. She was not sure why, but hope was hope and it made her happy.



© 2012 lovely haerts


Author's Note

lovely haerts
please comment!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on September 6, 2012
Last Updated on September 6, 2012


Author

lovely haerts
lovely haerts

New York, NY



About
I love purple. I love to read and listen to music. I love reading. I am an amateur writer. This is my first time experimenting with writing. I really appreciate feed back, no matter what it is. .. more..

Writing