~ surprised? ~ [chapter5]

~ surprised? ~ [chapter5]

A Chapter by lovely haerts

The boys were dreading the day to come. They had awoken early in order to start the storm. There was a lot of fire left to ignite. They had not slept well that night. After their usual ritual they had sat and had a long talk. They spoke about weather or not it would be a good idea to visit the orphanage. They had stopped working there after they had moved out. They also had to deal with the dilemma at hand. They needed to find jobs. And soon. But who would be willing to hire to inexperienced young lads? But they needed money if they were to survive on their own.

Jack woke with a jolt as ice cold water splashed across his lying silhouette. Gasping for breath he reached out blindly to grab Izac �" the culprit.

“Blimey! That was the last of the cold water stored! You can’t really be that much of an irresponsible bloody moran, can you?” Jack said furiously tightening his hold around his brother’s color with one hand and wiping his eyes with the other. Jack prepared to give his brother the most menacing look he could muster but stopped when he noticed the sight of his brother. His grip slackened and Izac gasped for breath. Jack quickly covered his nose as Izac breathed out right into his face, gasping and chuckling.

“You… deep… sleeping buffoon!” Izac clutched his stomach still out of breath. Laughing was just making matters worse. He took a deep breath and tried to stop laughing but it didn’t work. Izac suddenly turned serious as thunder rumbled and jack groaned. Izac gave Jack a concerned look. “Are you alright? You’ve been rumbling all night, not to mention you look like �"” he was cut of by another, more louder, groan from Jack.

Jack looked up at his brother surprised as his brother’s words sank in. His foul mood had affected his powers? He thought of what brought the foul mood upon him. He had spent the night thinking and worrying. He shook his head to clear his thoughts. He should not be worrying over such things. He ignored the way he had cringed just being reminded of what had plagued him the night before. Besides, he had a feeling that his worries would pass after attending the Grandals’ ball. That thought cheered him up quite a bit and the thunder stopped.    

Izac gave his brother curious look. He seemed to be having some sort of mood swing. He seemed… happy? All traces of what was troubling wiped clear. He even managed to crack a smile as he took off his sodden clothes and wiped his brow. Izac decided to leave his brother to his thoughts and let him change. As he entered the kitchen he noticed a gleam on the counter. He walked towards it and realized it was his mother’s locket where he had forgotten it the night before. As he studied it’s gleam from the morning light he wondered which of them would get to keep it once they grew apart. How would they share the only family heirloom?

“Is everything ready?” Jack called from inside the room. Izac nodded as Jack walked into the kitchen. Jack looked up from adjusting his scruffy cuff links to see his brother nodding continuously. Almost as if he was in a daze. He seemed to be scowling at Jack’s wrists. “Is everything all right?” He asked, confused.

“Jack?” Izac said ignoring his brother’s concern. “Do you know where we got those cuff links?” He tilted his head in concentration. He was trying to remember. Jack didn’t know weather or not he should be amused or annoyed.

“What on earth are you blathering on about?” he demanded, annoyance triumphing over amusement. “We have had these for forever. Remember when we used to add them to the ritual because of the matching ‘S’ that’s also carved into the locket?”

“Certainly I remember! And that is exactly my point!” Izac exclaimed wanting his brother to catch along. “Maybe the locket is NOT the only heirloom we have! You cannot stand there and tell me the ‘S’s are merely a coincidence.”

“What are you getting at?! Are you saying that the links belong to our parents? Next thing you’ll say is that the orphanage made up our last name based on the ‘S’s!” Jack scoffed. “We will speak of such nonsense no more,” Jack said firmly walking back into the room.

Izac watched his brother’s retreating form and thought about the sarcastic remark he had made. How did the orphanage know their last name? The only reason the orphanage knew their first names was because the doctor was able to get it from their mom before she had had them. The doctor could tell it was twins and had made sure she had picked names for all three scenarios. Two boys: Jack and Izac. Two girls: Jane and Irene. A boy and a girl: Jenna and James. Ms. Madison, the head of the orphanage, had told them the story multiple times. They even told them that Jack was born first, nearly 30 minutes. The doctor even made sure they could tell them apart by showing Ms. Madison the birthmark on Izac’s left shoulder, just under the collar bone. But even with all that information from Ms. Madison, there was nothing of their last name or title. She just told them that the ‘S’ stood for Smith. She did say the doctor did not know who their mother was but she had had only three things with her when she died: a locket, a letter and a pair of cuff links. “We could be rich, you know. We could come from a long line of dukes.” Izac told his brother quietly.

Jack snorted at his brother’s stupidity. How could he put his hope in such things? They were nothing but orphans. “I think finding two long lost dukes would be first priority. Do you not think so? And if so we would have been found by now!” And he thinks witches are ridiculous! Jack scoffed silently. “Lets just get to work.” And with that they started the blazing fire.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Brianna was having a good week. Not even Maggot could dampen her mood. The thought that she defiantly had something to look forward to, made the chores that much easier. If there was one thing that frustrated Brianna to no end, it was the fact that Maggot had the power to promise something and then have a ‘change of heart’ or mind or whatever she felt like changing. Brianna would have something to look forward to one minute and nothing the next. She might work extra hard for a whole week then find out it was all for nothing.

Brianna stood from the table quickly and curtsied, nearly knocking back her chair in the process. Margaret stopped walking into the room immediately. She looked at her new daughter silently as she clumsily curtsied. It was clumsy times like this where she felt like she could love Anna as much as Katy. That was why she had adopted her, when  she saw how much she had in common with her daughter. Oh, how much she missed her precious Katy. She had been just as stubborn as Anna. She wondered what Anna could possibly be doing in the dining room at this time of day. Margaret knew she could be harsh (and that was the way children needed to be raised: harshly) she thought knowing everything she did would eventually be appreciated. But, just like Kate, she made sure her kids were well fed. So why Anna would be eating at a time like this was beyond her? Margaret made sure Anna got proper nourishment. This meant proper meals at meal times. Why would Anna be hungry two hours before dinner?

Brianna held her breath instantly regretting going behind maggot’s back for soup. But she was so hungry. She had been interrupted of a proper lunch when she had been asked to leave the table so that Sir Maxwell could speak to Lady Maxwell privately. Maggot had been so intrigued to hear the news that she had not even realized that Brianna had barley even eaten anything. Brianna looked up quickly at hearing maggot produce three sharp, disapproving, clicking noises.

“You cannot be having extra meals, Anna dear. You will gain weight and you shan’t be able to fit into Ka- your gowns.” She said making another sharp noise. Brianna winced slightly at each click. “Explain yourself young lady.” Brianna looked down at her body. She was not fat! Was she? She felt the doubt seep through her. She was certainly not the skinny. She had thought she was the right size for a fifteen year old girl.

“I…I was interrupted during l-lunch and I am v-very hungry.” She tried to say firmly but failed and stuttered. She cringed when Maggot motioned for her to sit, aware of the woman’s every movement. She sat and watched as maggot sat across from her.

“Then eat.” Brianna could not for the life of her figure out what was going on. she had completely lost her appetite and could feel every fiber of the dress and how snug it felt around her waist. She would be turning of age soon and it would not due to be overweight. She was already an orphan. She did not need any more flaws. No. she needed a plan. And quick. She thought looking down at herself and sighing.



© 2012 lovely haerts


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on September 6, 2012
Last Updated on September 6, 2012


Author

lovely haerts
lovely haerts

New York, NY



About
I love purple. I love to read and listen to music. I love reading. I am an amateur writer. This is my first time experimenting with writing. I really appreciate feed back, no matter what it is. .. more..

Writing