Episode Miles: Chapter 4: Awakened

Episode Miles: Chapter 4: Awakened

A Chapter by Miles W.
"

Chapter 4 of Miles' story.

"

            Miles rushed towards his opponent, his blade in hand.  He swung down as hard as he could, but the stranger blocked it perfectly.  She then grabbed the sheath of her blade off her back and swung it at Miles, hitting him squarely in the chest, knocking him back.  Miles quickly recovered and started running towards his opponent, looking like he was going to swing downwards once again.  But as he approached her, he leapt up and let his Semblance change his gravity so that he was falling towards her.  She anticipated the attack however, and blocked the swing, brushing Miles to the side as if he were a tether ball.  But as he passed behind her, Miles contorted his body around, changed the pull of gravity once again, and fell back towards his opponent who was shocked as she saw him falling back towards her.  He managed to land a solid hit cracking her Grimm mask revealing her right yellow eye.  Miles then stumbled back as he restored his normal gravity as his opponent made sure her Grimm mask hadn’t fallen off while taking a few quick shots from her pistol to try and make sure he would not attack quickly once again.

            “You’re really stubborn” the stranger said with a wry smile.  “We’ve had reports on you for quite some time.  Following the fall of Aequo, you seem determined to track us down to the ends of the earth.”

            “Well,” Miles said slowly standing back up, “your group destroyed my home.  Pardon me for wanting you to face justice for that.”

            “What are you talking about?   It was a Grimm attack.  That’s what destroyed your home.”

            “That was the official report.  But I was there.  I remember it as clear as day.  I tried to save my family, but failed, and a man with red hair and bull horns killed my family just to teach me a lesson.”

            “Red hair?”  The girl stepped back a little ways.  “No…he…. Adam wouldn’t….”

            “So that’s his name” Miles said with a smile.  “I’ve only heard whispers of him during my travels.  Never heard his name until now though.”  He then tried another attack, and his opponent managed to block it again, but this time she was clearly shaken.

            “You’re lying” she said trying to reassure herself.  “Adam would never go that far.  Whenever somebody died, it was an accident.  He just wants the Faunus to have equal rights!  Is that so wrong?”

            “Only when getting those rights involves mass genocide” Miles said trying to push through his opponent’s guard.  But she managed to guide his sword into the ground then dodge out of the way, and prepared for an attack of her own.

            “He would never do that!  You’re just trying to confuse me!  Trying to get me to let my guard down!  Make a mistake!”  As she prepared to launch herself forward for an attack, Miles then took his blade and stuck it into the ground.

            “I promise on my life.  I haven’t lied to you even for a moment.  So either stick with your delusions and your precious Adam and kill me, or look away and start digging for the truth.”  The stranger looked at Miles, and still attempted to charge forward and attack.  But just at the last second, she angled her swing away from Miles and into the ground.  Miles didn’t make any attempt to counter, but rather let her just stand there with her blade in the ground.  Even though she was still wearing her Grimm mask, Miles could see some tears falling out from behind the cracks.

            “I don’t want to believe it, but given everything that’s happened these past few years, everything he’s done, I’m beginning to.  I just…”
            “Great.  Fantastic.   You realize your friend is actually some crazed rage monster.  Any chance you could help me break the idiot your group captured out of lockup?”
            “I’m sorry” the stranger said taking off her Grimm mask.  “I still have questions I want answered.  And until they are, I can’t be seen with you.  You’ve been marked as a special target in our organization because of your actions.  So if I’m seen with you, they might kill me as well.”

            “If you aren’t going to help me, why leave me alive?”

            “I spared your life because I have questions about my loyalty and what the people I love have been doing behind my back.  Your dossier mentioned you were from Aequo.  Adam was near that area when your home was destroyed.  I had my fears afterwards, but let Adam talk be out of it.  No more.  I need my own answers.  I can’t let anybody else get hurt because of my inability to act.”

            “I understand the feeling” Miles said with a small smile.  “Good luck stranger.  Maybe we’ll meet again.”

            “Maybe we will.”  With that, the stranger started making her way across rooftops of the city towards the outskirts.  Miles picked his sword back up and turned his attention back to the warehouse.  From there, he changed the pull of his gravitational field to allow him to fall towards the wall of the warehouse.  As soon as he landed on the wall, he started crawling up the side like a bug, and peaked in to see Rett tied up in a small chair while being tortured by a burly White Fang soldier.  He didn’t have any distinct Faunus traits, but his raw power made up for that fact and made it clear why he was employed by the White Fang.

            “Give us the information and this will all be over quicker” the White Fang soldier growled.

            “I don’t have anything to give” Rett said fighting through the pain.

            “We know that the Golden Cougars are hiding something.  What is it?”  

            “Could you maybe be a little more specific?”

            “Your group has had several reports filed about ancient ruins far out in the wastelands of our fair kingdom” a new voice cut in.  Stepping into the light was a black-haired dark skinned woman with tiger ears and tiger stripes across her body.  She wore a black outfit that didn’t leave too much to the imagination as well as a red cape.  She had a chain whip attached to her waist, and she pulled it out and let out a powerful crack in front of Rett.  Miles immediately recognized her as Sienna Kahn, the public leader of the White Fang.

            “The Great Graveyard is the only thing of real interest out in the wilderness.  But your group seems to be exploring even beyond that.  I want to know why.”

            “What makes you think I know anything?”

            “You’re the son of the founder of your organization, right?  That means you know everything that your organization is doing.  You’ve got a direct line to the top, so tell us why your group is exploring the wastelands beyond the graveyard?” 

            “I just do my job, and that’s mostly set around the city.  I don’t know what you expect to get out of me.”

            “Hate to say it but he’s telling the truth” Miles said from the ceiling.  Sienna Kahn and the other solider shot their eyes up to where his voice came from in shock and surprise.  Miles slowly floated down from the ceiling and drew his sword.  “That idiot is more focused on giving kids on the street food than actually dealing with his own groups inner-workings.”

            “Then you shall both die” Sienna said pulling out her Cerberus whip, a chain whip with dust-infused blades at the tip.  She cracked her whip and wrapped it around Miles’ sword, and pulled back to try and rip it out of his hands.  But just as the whip wrapped around his weapon, Miles changed the pull of his gravity so that the whip pulled him towards Sienna Kahn and the soldier, and before they could react, Miles landed a powerful kick on Sienna’s gut, and knocked her back.

            “Lieutenant!” Sienna yelled trying to catch her breath.  “Don’t just stand their gawking!  Attack!”  With that, the lieutenant pulled out a gigantic chainsaw blade and charged at Miles.  Miles tried to defend himself from the attack, but the moment that their blades met, Miles was sent flying across the room and into the wall of the warehouse.  The wall shook off some dust from the ceiling simply due to the force of the attack.  Miles slowly got back up, and grinned watching the Lieutenant slowly march towards him.

            “Did you know that somebody would be stupid enough to try and save you?” Miles yelled over at Rett ignoring the lieutenant right in front of him.

            “I figured somebody would eventually” Rett yelled back, “just surprised that it was you.”

            “Trust me, you aren’t the really surprised one here” Miles said dodging a big swing from the lieutenant.  “Is that why you didn’t immediately make a break for it?”

            “No, the guy you’re dealing with knocked out my aura after a few hits.  I just wanted to make sure I could protect myself when I made a break for it.”

            “Great.  Any chance you could give me a hand now?”

            “Luckily for you, I just managed to get back to full strength as you dropped in.”  With that, Rett phased through the ropes that held him and cracked his knuckles.  Looking around, he saw his weapons just sitting there.  A pair of golden claws with guns mounted on the back wrist.  Rett quickly took his weapons, and angled his blaster towards the open window that Miles used to get in through, and fired a flare through the opening.  The flare exploded creating a red puff of smoke in the air.

            “Now we just need to stay alive until help arrives” Rett said preparing his weapons as several grunt White Fang soldiers started pouring in to try and stop the pair of intruders.

            “Then let’s try to make it fun at least” with that, Miles spun away from the lieutenant and started attacking several different grunt soldiers.  The lieutenant initially made a turn to attack, but then started making his way towards Sienna, signaling they needed to leave.  She saw him and realized what was happening.  But as she attempted to make her way over towards one of their several trucks parked near the exits, Miles leapt in front of her and landed a powerful hit on her right arm.

            “I have questions for you” he said with a smirk as they continued to trade and parry blows.

            “I have nothing to say to a filthy human who has done nothing but be a thorn in my side.”

            “I’d hope I would be a thorn after one of your operatives killed my entire village.”      

            “The White Fang has never intentionally killed anybody unless they deserved it.”

            “So what did Aequo do to deserve your wrath?”

            “That wasn’t us.  Humans just chose to blame us because it’s easier to blame Faunus rather their own ignorance.”

            “Deflecting blame to try and get me to stop trying to bring you in to face justice?  How original.”

            “Your crusade is a hollow one.  We do not kill innocents unless they are in our way.”

            “So then we go back to my original question, what did Aequo do to deserve what they got?”

            “No answer I give you would ever satisfy you” Sienna said as she landed a powerful strike with her whip to knock Miles back a few feet.  “So I will just leave you to wallow in your world of self-absorption.”  With that, Sienna let several grunt soldiers run past her while she made a break for one of the vehicles that was making its escape.  Miles attempted to pursue, but noticed that Rett was starting to get overwhelmed by the sheer number of grunts.  He quickly cut through several grunt soldiers and made his way over to Rett and helped him regain his footing and push back against the overwhelming horde.

            “You do have a soft spot!” Rett joked punching another grunt soldier away.

            “Say one more thing and I’m picking you up and throwing you at them” Miles said with a groan.  But suddenly, windows started crashing and there was a lot more yelling.  The troops of the Golden Cougar had finally arrived.  As soon as they did so, the grunt soldiers who could ran for their freedom.  Those who couldn’t either tried to fight until knocked out or straight up surrendered.  As the enemies began to thin out, one of the leaders of the Golden Cougars walked over to Rett pinching his forehead in annoyance.

            “We told you to wait Rett” the soldier said with an annoyed voice.  “Sienna was an important target yes, but not worth risking everything for the sake of capturing her.”

            “My apologies sir” Rett said lowering his head.  “I just thought that….”

            “I told him that Sienna was potentially a key piece to gaining key information about the actions related to the White Fang” Miles said stepping forward.  “He acted based on my information.  So if that means my sentence needs to be increased, then so be it.”

            “Fine” the soldier said.  “We’ll add another few months to your sentence since you almost got one of our operatives killed.  And to make up for your mistake, you will be paired with Rett for the remainder of your sentence.”

            “Whatever you say” Miles said with a groan.  The solider left to help deal with the arrested White Fang soldiers, and Rett patted Miles on the shoulder.

            “You do have a kind side in there” he said with a chuckle.

            “I do not” Miles said a bit flustered yet jokingly.  “And anybody who says I do is a liar and a charlatan.”  They both laughed, and started to leave.

            “I guess you’ll have to get used to walking around the marketplace for months with me instead of pursing your quest” Rett said with a smile.

            “Eh, I’ve been going full tilt for these past three years.  Maybe slowing down for a short while will do me some good.”

 

 

 

2 Years Later

 

 

 

            Miles finished packing his bags and started walking towards the armory.  He held a small suitcase in his hands that was sealed up along with the rest of his equipment.  He entered the armory and the blacksmith waved him down.

            “They’re over here Miles!”  the blacksmith yelled guiding Miles over.  Miles then saw the two new swords he helped make.  A pure black and a pure white blade.  “They came out perfect.  You really did a great job with these bad boys.  I’m surprised though, giving up your current blade for these two is an interesting move, especially since it’s so important to you.”  Miles smiled, and opened the suitcase to reveal his old sword, shined and polished in its case.

            “It is, but I need to forge ahead and create my own name.  Without holding myself to the past.  So I will leave this here until I feel I have truly earned it.”

            “And I will make sure the Golden Cougar watches over it until you return.  Even if I do end up leaving.” Miles turned to see Rett enter the armory with a big smile on his face.

            “Did you manage to get the translation for the character on the blade?” Miles asked.

            “I did actually” Rett said with a smile.  “According to the ancient texts, it is an old letter, that means, ‘ahead’.”  Miles smiled, and a tear formed in his eye.

            “Where I must look in my life.”

            “What’s that?”

            “Something my father once told me.  And something I forgot up until today.”

            “Do you really have to go?”

            “I stuck around for a bit longer just because I felt I was needed here.  But I need to keep moving forward on my own journey.  I’ll come back someday, and reclaim it for my family.  Not for myself.”

            “Well, given your track record, it might be years before you find your family.”

            “Perhaps.  But I couldn’t think of a safer place to keep this blade.”

            “So where will you go from here?”

            “The reports of the Demon Slayers Alliance reference Adam directly.  That’s the best lead I’ve got related to Aequo, so hopefully I can find some answers.  And maybe somebody who can help me put an end to his tyranny.  Most of those reports talk about a woman plotting something near the kingdom of Vale, but I’m not sure how much control over this operation Adam might have.  So we shall soon see.”

            “Well, good luck.  Maybe I’ll see you again someday.”

            “I suppose we shall see.” Miles said as he shook Rett’s hand.  Rett then smiled and brought Miles in for a hug.  At first he tried to resist but then he gave in and accepted.

 

 

 

7 Years Later

 

 

            Miles knocked on the door and the attendant walked over to open the door.

            “Nice to see you again sir” the attendant said.

            “Surprised you remember me” Miles said with a slight chuckle.  “It’s been a hot minute.”

            “You underestimate how many people actually remember your face” Blake said punching him in the shoulder.  “Just because you forgot them doesn’t mean they forgot you.”

            “I’m well aware, thanks for reminding me.” Miles said with a groan.  The two of them then smiled and stepped inside.  They made a beeline for the armory, and the blacksmith almost instantly dropped everything as soon as Miles walked in.

            “How’ve you been doom-n-gloom?” he said with a laugh.

            “Doom-n-gloom?” Blake said with a laugh.  “You were so far up your own head you got the nickname doom-n-gloom?”

            “I got better” Miles said blushing a bit.  “Is Rett here?  I’d love to say hi.”

            “He’s out on mission” the blacksmith said as he was rummaging through his collection of stuff.  “Not sure when he’ll be back.”

            “That’s a bummer” Miles said.  “I’d have liked to thank him.”

            “Thank him?” Blake questioned.

            “Yeah.  You may have really helped me come out of my shell, but he started pushing me in the right direction.”

            “Sounds like a good friend” Blake said with a smile.

            “He was.  I just wish I was a better one” Miles said with a sigh.  As he said this, the blacksmith placed the case in front of him.  Miles opened it up, and smiled when he saw his old sword.

            “Kept it polished and clean for you while you were gone” the blacksmith said.  “Glad to see you’ve found somebody you can consider your family.”

            “I hope to make it official one day” Miles said smiling looking back at Blake, to which she blushed.  Then she looked over Miles’ shoulder as he pulled his old sword out of the case, and she tilted her head in confusion.

            “Wait, that was your sword when you served time here?” she asked in surprise.

            “Yeah.  It belonged to my family and….”

            “Did you by any chance fight a White Fang member with a black sword who decided not to kill you because you mentioned Adam killed your home village?”

            “Wait, how do you know about that?”

            “Nice to see you again?”  Blake said sheepishly stretching out her hand.

            “That was you?!” Miles said in surprise.

            “Small world” the blacksmith said while guffawing.  Miles looked back over at Blake and started laughing.

            “Thanks for not killing me.”

            “And here I thought you meeting my parents was the most awkward thing about our relationship.” Blake said burying her face in her hands.  They all continued laughing as they reminisced about their history together.

 

 

 

Fear Can Consume

Make You Cower in Fear

But Find Your Friends

And You Will Reclaim

Your True Heart

 

 

 

Episode: Miles

END

 

 

 

Authors Note:

 

One of the biggest things that I struggled with when writing this project was how do I approach the different stories so that each person shines in their own way and they perhaps aren’t overshadowed by others who have had plenty of time to shine in the main books?  I have given my own character several moments to shine in both “Order” and “War”, so I wanted to try a different angle.  If you ask most of the people in this group, they would probably all agree I am not at all like how I have written my character.  But I do enjoy playing this idea of “what if I was more like this cold person?”  And in tandem with that, I wanted to showcase a similar element in my life, how I was afraid about facing something challenging and scary in my life.  Rett is based on a friend I made early on in this transitional part of my life, and like in this story, I wasn’t as good a friend as I would have liked to have been.  But he stood by me and remained my friend before we went our sperate ways going to different schools.  And I consider him somebody who helped me take the first steps to open up more to the changes in my life leading me to the group of friends in my life now.  He is a good man and was a good friend.  I haven’t seen him in years, and hope he is doing well.  I hope the story highlighted that he is a good man, and how I have changed both in this story and in real life to a certain degree.



© 2023 Miles W.


Author's Note

Miles W.
Please read/review/enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on April 4, 2021
Last Updated on July 10, 2023
Tags: Adventure, Action, Anime, Fan Fiction, RWBY

RWBY: Anthology of Seasons: First Steps


Author

Miles W.
Miles W.

Columbus, OH



About
I am a recent graduate with a degree in Film Production. My dream is to become a film director, creating my own stories. I love writing stories and fan fiction. Please check it out, share and revie.. more..

Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by Miles W.