Episode Beanie: Chapter 1: Selected

Episode Beanie: Chapter 1: Selected

A Chapter by Miles W.
"

Chapter 1 of Beanie's story

"

Behind Every Leader

Stands One

Who Can Help Guide

Do No Assume

They Are Less

 

 

Two Years Before the Fall of Aequo

The General Education School of Aequo

 

 

 

            Beanie took a deep breath as he stood in front of the principal’s office.  He wasn’t sure why he got called out of class to be here, but he didn’t hesitate to make his way to the office.  He took another deep breath and opened the door and saw the principal sitting at his usual desk, but he also saw somebody who he didn’t recognize sitting in the room with them.  An older gentleman with a white suit, a flat top haircut, and a pair of pistols around his waist.

            “What’s going on?” Beanie asked confused sitting in an open seat.

            “Beanie, this is General Ironwood” the principal said motioning towards the stranger sitting next to him, “he is the headmaster at Atlas Academy.  And your studies have managed to capture the attention of some of the top professors at his Academy!”

            “Wow, this is a surprise” Beanie said scratching his head.

            “Your grades have been impressive to say the least young man” Ironwood said with a big smile.  “And that has got a lot of people turning their heads.  We think you could greatly benefit from learning from someplace other than the general education system of the villages.  We think your skills will be best trained when you study at Sanctum, and then down the line at Atlas Academy.”

            “Excuse me, what?” Beanie said leaning forward in his chair.

            “We have this system in place to moderate potential candidates amongst the settlements beyond the borders of the four kingdoms for potential talent, and you have certainly piqued our interest.  Your grades and your test scores are some of the strongest for this region.  Best we’ve seen since the last Vytal Festival.  We will be honored to have you study at our academy.”

            “Wait, this all is happening too fast” Beanie said starting to sweat a bit.  “What about my family?  What about my….”

            “You and your family will be provided with housing for the duration of your time at the academy.  Both at Sanctum and Atlas.  Alongside that, your father will be given a job helping at the military base in Argus.  While you will increase your abilities a thousandfold.  So, I suggest getting everything in order before leaving.”

            “Do I not get a choice in the matter?”

            “Afraid not.  Your parents have already accepted on your behalf.”  With that, Ironwood stood up, shook the hand of the principal and took his leave, leaving Beanie dumbfounded.

            “What about my friends?”

 

 

 

7 Years Later

 

Sanctum Academy

 

The Last Week of Classes

 

The Science Lab

 

 

 

            Everybody started pouring out of the classroom as a myriad of alarms were going off.  A strange smoke could be seen wafting out of the classroom.  The teacher pulled out a giant fan with knife blades on it, and started waving it.  The gas began to dissipate as he guided it outside.  As the gas floated harmlessly up into the air, he turned around and marched towards Beanie, who was sheepishly trying to hide behind a wall of other students.  But the professor made his way through the sea of students and pulled Beanie out by his shirt.

            “Why did you mix the Ammonia with the Bleach?!” the professor yelled at the top of his lungs.

            “I thought it was safe.” Beanie said trying to not trip over his words.  “This whole experiment was about mixing different things together, right?”

            “This is common sense for anybody who cleans their own bathroom!  The two don’t mix!”

            “Ok, I’m sorry geez.  I’m not a chemist.”

            “Common sense isn’t something you need to get a degree in kid!”  Just before the teacher could continue to berate him, the bell rang, and Beanie bolted faster than an Atlesian speed cruiser.  He quickly pulled his stuff out of his locker, and ran outside to where his mother was sitting in a nearby car.

            “How was school today….”

            “Just drive please” Beanie said throwing his stuff in the back.  “I need to get to work.”

            “Don’t you want to just get some lunch first before…”

            “Mom!  Please!”

            “Okay fine.”  With that, they took off and drove up a few blocks until they reached their home.  As soon as they pulled into the driveway, Beanie jumped out, ran up to his room, and started sorting through his backpack. He took out his school books and papers, and replaced them with some swim trunks and a white t-shirt.  He also threw in a red whistle and a red visor with some sunscreen and sunglasses.  He slowly put his backpack back on to make his way back out to work, when his father was standing by the door, surprising him.

            “Crud dad, knock much?” Beanie said jumping back a short ways.

            “Just wanted to say goodbye before heading out” Beanie’s father said with a smile.  “Ironwood wants me down in Mistral for the next few days, so I’m catching the first train out of town tonight.  I don’t think your shift will be over before then, so I’m doing this now.”

            “All right.  Just be careful.  The Argus Express isn’t exactly the safest option out there.  I know it’s pretty well armored, but that’s just against Grimm attacks.  Doesn’t account for bandits or terrorists or….”

            “Beanie” his father said forcefully placing his hand on his son’s shoulder.  “I’ll be fine.  Just keep your head up and get through these last few days.  I’ll be back before the summer season starts.”

            “Ok.  Sounds like a plan.”  The two of them hugged each other, and Beanie’s father started to leave.

            “Oh that’s right” his father said turning back towards Beanie.  “Your designs worked great.  You should really talk to the general about moving more into what I do instead of whatever path this currently is.”

            “If I do, Ironwood throws a fit and everything goes crazy.  I’m better off just keeping my nose clean.”

            “If you say so kid.  Well, don’t let me keep you.”  With that, Beanie’s father headed down the stairs with Beanie not far behind.

 

 

 

 

3 Days Later

 

 

 

            Beanie tried to keep himself awake watching the rippling water of the pool where he was stationed for the day.  Being as far north as Argus was, the summers can be hot for either a few weeks or a month if kids were lucky.  So, for the short time that it is hot, the pools were busy beyond belief.  Beanie never took to the water too much to begin with, but given his Semblance, it seemed to gravitate towards him no matter what.  It was a busy day as expected, but thankfully the kids were able to keep themselves relatively safe instead of going too overboard.  The horn sounded for the guard’s break, and he quickly jumped off the stand and made his way to the break room.  From there, he grabbed his lunch bag, and pulled out a small sandwich.  It wasn’t much, but it was better than most anything served at the snack stand.  He took a bite, and was contemplating a power nap, when there was a knock at the door.  Beanie initially didn’t think too much of it, but then several Atlesian Knights walked in without even giving a standard protocol greeting.  They marched right up next to Beanie, and simply pulled out a holographic message with General Ironwood.

            “Beanie” the holographic Ironwood said immediately as it activated.  “There has been an accident with the Argus Limited express.  We aren’t sure what happened, but the train never arrived in Mistral.  Any drones that I have sent out have either found nothing or never came back.  I am currently dealing with an incident here in Atlas, so I can’t spare any troops.  That is why I am deploying the top candidates from Sanctum to look into this.”

            “Excuse me?” Beanie tried to interject.  “I have…..”

            “Do not attempt to object to this.  First off, this is pre-recorded, so there is nothing you can say to stop me from speaking.  And second, your grades have been wavering these past few years.  Consider this an opportunity to prove that I didn’t make an error taking you away from your home before it was destroyed.  You will rendezvous with other classmates of yours at 0600 tomorrow.  Prepare what you need to before heading off.  Good luck.”  With that, the hologram deactivated, and the androids took their leave.  All of the other guards looked at Beanie almost as dumbfounded as he was.  He then sighed and placed his visor on the main table in the breakroom.

            “I guess I won’t see you guys for a while.  Make sure none of the kids die.”

            “Make sure you don’t do something stupid again” one of the guards joked as Beanie left.

            “I don’t plan to” he said walking out the door.



© 2023 Miles W.


Author's Note

Miles W.
Please read/review/enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

49 Views
Added on April 17, 2021
Last Updated on July 10, 2023
Tags: Adventure, Action, Anime, Fan Fiction, RWBY

RWBY: Anthology of Seasons: First Steps


Author

Miles W.
Miles W.

Columbus, OH



About
I am a recent graduate with a degree in Film Production. My dream is to become a film director, creating my own stories. I love writing stories and fan fiction. Please check it out, share and revie.. more..

Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by Miles W.