Redeemed by Another - Part 2

Redeemed by Another - Part 2

A Chapter by MBarnes
"

Decision Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.

"
----------------
Part 2
Decision
----------------

         The next morning Elvira decides to take a walk along the creek in an attempt to clear her head. What if my father finds out? The way his health has been this season I don’t know if he can take more stress. I cannot bear to see the shame on his face when he finds out....He will not find out. No, I have to hide it. He can never find out...
         "Good morning, Milady." yelled an older man from the other side of the creek.
         "Good morning."
         "Milady, could you tell me what way is Hope Abbey from here?"
         "Aye, It is just a day rides north on the road over there. It is just on the other side of the forest."
         "Thank you, Milady."
         "You are welcome." ...No one must know. I can hide it from everyone. I cannot let anyone know. I cannot put my family to shame. Why have I done this? Why did I let myself be deceived? Why did I think that he could impossibly care for me?
         Why did God let this happen to me? She said as she picked up a hand full of pebbles and threw them in the water. He is suppose help me make the right decisions. Right? Maybe he does not care either?
         Does he even exist? If He does; it is too late for me. I don’t think he could ever forgive me for what I have done.
         She stopped and looked back towards home. How long can I hide a secret like this? Two or Three months maybe, but that is just a guess. How will I keep this from Mabel? She will find out. Maybe I should tell her. She can help me. I know that she will have ideas.
         Where will I go? I have to go somewhere that no one will know me. I could go to an abbey, but not Hope Abbey. It is too close. I heard there was another one a seven day ride from here. I doubt I would meet anyone I know there. What am I going to tell them when I get there? I could tell them I am a widow of a poor farmer and I don’t have any more family. That isn’t an uncommon situation for women my age.

----------------

         Weeks when by and morning sickness was starting. I did not think of this. My family will notice me being sick. I hope they do not find out. I am not ready. 
         “Good morning, daughters, your brother has suggested that we go hunting the day after the day after the next.” Earl Garrett announced as the family was finishing up their morning meal.
         “That sounds like a wonderful idea.” Mabel relied cheerfully. 
         “We all haven’t been on a hunt in awhile.” Anthony said, “What do you think, Elvira?”
         “I-I don’t think I want to; at least not this time. Maybe I’ll go the next hunt.” Women in my condition are not to do anything to put any stress on the baby.
         “Elvira, are sure you don’t want to go?” Her father asked concerned. “We do plan on bring the falcons.” 
         Elvira shook her head and rose from the table, “Please, excuse me.” She calmly walked away leaving four pairs of eyes staring in wonder.
         Elvira whole view on life had changed. She no longer has much to look forward to in life. Usually she is cheerful, friendly, and constantly talking, but now she barely says a word. Now she just tries to live another day.
         I am going to tell Mabel tonight. I have to. She will become curious and talk to our parents. I do not want them to think anything is wrong with me. I hope I am not too late.

----------------

         The July sky was a cheerful as ever. Three months Bennett had not been home, and the intended war turned out to be a few short battles of chasing around his kings enemies. He was glad that it did not turn out to be like the war with King Robert which lasted almost six years. In a few days he will be home. There he will wait until he is needed again. He was relieved to hear that his knights and he was not needed to patrol the border. It would have been a great honor. In another way, I am concerned. King Seth’s armies did not fight as they should have.
         “Lord Bennett, do you think it was odd that the battles were too easy?” asked one of his knights as though he could read his thoughts.
         “Yes, I would have thought his men would have more to them. They did not stand their ground, and ran too easily. I had the odd feeling that he was hiding his best men somewhere and that any moment they would charge us. I am still hesitant to leave. I have a feeling that army exists.”
         “Yes, I feel that way, too. Do you think King Seth is up to something else? All of it seemed too easy.”
         “I do not know. It would seem that way.”
         “We will probably be called back. King Marc will want us to escort him went he goes to sign the treaty. That is when we will find out if King Seth has anything else in store.”
         “Yes, we will wait and see.”
         Then one of the younger knights asked, “Lord Bennett, may I ask you a question, if it is not too personal, most of us have wives to go home to and you have never married. You never talk of marriage like other unmarried lords I have known. I just wanted to know your view on the subject.”
         “I do not intend to marry while I am in service to King Marc. I have told too many widows that their husband die in battle. Seeing their pain, I do not want to put my wife through the same thing, but I am the second son. I do not have land that I need to have an heir for yet. I will probably wait until I receive my share of land. Until then I do not see any reason to marry."

----------------

         “Mabel, are you asleep?” Elvira asked as she slowly opened the door. She will be cranky if she was asleep.
         “No, I am not. What is on your mind at this hour?” the tone of her voice was calm. Elvira walked in to the room and closed the door tightly. “Is there something wrong?
         “I-I,” I have to tell her. Tears began to fall down her face.
Mabel quickly got out of her bed and ran to her sister. “Elvira, what is wrong? Do you want me to get mother and father?”
         “No, please, no, do not get them.” She sobbed as she embraced her sister.
         “Does this have anything to do with the man you were seeing?” Mabel asked softly as she ran her hands through Elvira’s hair.
         “Yes,” she said as she looked away.
         “Did he say that he does not love you anymore?” Elvira nodded as she looked at her sister. “It will pass. There are men like that.”
         The tears came harder. “But it will not pass.”
         “What do you mean?”
         “I am in trouble, Mabel.”
         “What kind of trouble?”
         “I-I am with child.”
         “Oh, Elvira, you poor thing.” Mabel started to weep softly.
         “All I could think of doing was to run away to an abbey.”
         “Run away? Please, no, there has to another way. Does the father know?” Her crying started to become louder.
         “Yes, but he does not care.”
         “He does not care? Who is he that he would not care?”
         “Lord Trent, he is the son of Devon Grosmont of Derby.”
         “Courtesy Earl Trent, I do know of him.”
         “I do not know what to do.”
         “We must tell father.” Mabel exclaimed as she pulled on her sister's arm.
         “No, please, do not tell father." Elvira pulled her sister hand away. "His health has been bad. I am afraid he will not be able to handle the news.”
         “I understand, but isn't there any other way to go about this.Do you really have to go to the abbey?”
         “No, and I am going to change my name, too.”
         “To what, sister?”
         “Azalea will be my new name.” Then they both started to cry at the thought that Azalea was leaving.
         “I wish you did not have to go.” That night Azalea left her family. She knew she could not stay there another day.

----------------


© 2011 MBarnes


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

267 Views
Added on March 21, 2011
Last Updated on March 21, 2011
Tags: Middle, Ages, medieval, period, love, acceptance, forgiveness, Redeemed by Another, Redeemed, Another


Author

MBarnes
MBarnes

Near Kearney in a small town, NE



About
I am 27 and have been writing since in was 14. I love writing historical fiction and poetry. I sometimes do fan fiction but that is not very often. Anything History especially the middle ages, read.. more..

Writing