Redeemed by Another - Part 13

Redeemed by Another - Part 13

A Chapter by MBarnes
"

Discovery Proverbs 26:25-27 When he speaks kindly, do not believe him, for there are seven abominations in his heart; though his hatred is covered by deceit, His wickedness will be revealed before the

"

------------------

Part 13

Discovery

------------------

"Azalea, I think today we will work in the cloister." Mary said as they were finishing up their meal.

"It has become a bit over grown all of a sudden. How about you go get what we need and I will go ahead to see what needs to be done." Azalea replied as she took their wares to be cleaned.

"Alright, I will meet you there." Mary left to gather any tools that they might need and Azalea with baby Garren in her arms headed to the cloister to make a list of what needed to be done. Some of the trees need to be trimmed, and there are weeds that need pulled. With all this rain lately, it has been hard to keep up with all the chores. Soon Mary rejoined her and laid the tools next to the fountain. This is when Azalea set Garren on a blanket in the shade of a tree and started to work on the forget-me-nots. She began to hum a lullaby that her mother used to sing to her when she was young.

Then a lady's voice spoke with a Portuguese accent. "That is a beautiful canção de ninar, young lady. Where did you learn it?"

It cannot be her. Azalea slowly turned around to see who was talking to her. "My mother use to sing it to me." Elvira said as she rose to her feet.

"Elvira, I finally have found you. It was not in till lately that we thought of checking the abbeys. I am surprised that you were able to enter without a dowry"

Duquesa Manuela, why did you come all the way from Portugal?"

"I came to be with my sister, Countess Madalena, after Earl Garrett passed away. I also came to look for you. I thought maybe having a new set of eyes would help."

"Umm...excuse me; I do not understand what is going on. How do you know her, Azalea," asked Mary as she walked up to the two women.

"Azalea's real name is Lady Elvira, Daughter of the late Earl Garrett and Countess Madalena. Lady Elvira is my niece."

"She is your niece? You are a noble."

"Yes, Mary, I am. I am sorry I lied to ..."

"You do not have to explain. I think I understand.’

"Elvira, why did you leave home?"

"I-I" she was interrupted by Garren crying.

"Oh, I see now." Manuela replied as she walked over to the baby lying on the blanket. She gently lifted him into her arms. "He must be the reason. I am not sure how my sister is going to react. She will have to adjust to being a grandmother. There has been enough talking. We need to pay a visit to Abbess Mariah and explain to her the situation. It was nice to meet you, Mary."

"Yes, it was a pressure to meet you, Duquesa Manuala. Goodbye, Azal-Lady Elvira."

"Farewell, maybe we will see each other someday." Elvira said as she hugged her friend and then followed her aunt out of the cloister.

---------------------

They found the abbess in her room. " Duquesa Manuela, It looks to me that you have found Lady Elvira. Now I understand the situation better. I am surprised Lord Bennett had anything to do with this."

"He does not know who I am. He just wanted to help. He only knows little of the details."

"You are telling me he helped you not knowing who you really were or all of the details. Did you lie to him?"

"Elvira, who is Earl Bennett?"

"He is the one who saved my life the night I left from home. I did not lie to him. He did not want to know the details. He just wanted to help me."

"Are you telling me he paid your dowry?"

"Yes, he did, but he was not involved anymore than I have told you."

"Abbess Mariah, I am here to request for Lady Elvira to be released from her vows since her guardian did not give permission for her to give them."

"Yes, of course, she must be returned to her guardian. I will have to report this to the arch deacon. He will take care of the matter."

"It is time to leave now." They said their goodbyes and prepared to leave.

----------------

"You stay here while I go to the Abbess Mariah. I want to know what she knows of these rumors of unrest in this area." Bennett told his men as he dismounted from his horse. He was almost to the door when he noticed Azalea walking out. "Hello, Azalea Gardyne, how are you today?"

"I-I...." He then noticed an older dark haired woman standing behind Azalea.

"....Are you Earl Bennett Grosmont of Devon?" The woman asked.

"Yes, I am."

"Lady Elvira, go ahead to the coach. I need to speak with Earl Bennett. Please, let us return inside."

 Elvira? Why did she call her Elvira?

The woman introduced herself, "I am Duquesa Manuala de Porto. I am Lady Elvira's aunt. I have been told you have paid my niece's dowry. I need to repay you." She then pulled out a bag and handed it to Bennett.

He took the money and stared at it, "Azalea is Lady Elvira. I had no idea."

"I apologize for my niece involving you. I know you were an innocent bystander. I thank you for your help."

"Has Azalea Gardyne, um, I mean Lady Elvira tell you who is the father of the child? She never told me, but I found out last summer. I did not say anything because I did not think it would make a difference. That has changed now that Azalea Gardyne is not a peasant as I thought she was."

"No, she did not."

"From what I understood the father did not know Lady Elvira is nobility. It is your right to know."

"How do you know?"

"I was actually told by the father of the child."

"Yes, I understand and please proceed. I want know everything so I can tell her guardian, Earl Anthony de Mowbray." Bennett started with the day he meet her and told about his brother's confession. "The father is your brother?"

"Yes, that is why I come and check on her when I can. The child is my nephew after all."

"I thank you for your help. I must be going now. Earl Anthony will be glad to see his sister and surprised to meet his nephew." She walked out of the abbey and into the coach where he knew Lady Elvira was waiting. The coach started to move and rode out of his sight. 



© 2011 MBarnes


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
Added on March 21, 2011
Last Updated on March 21, 2011


Author

MBarnes
MBarnes

Near Kearney in a small town, NE



About
I am 27 and have been writing since in was 14. I love writing historical fiction and poetry. I sometimes do fan fiction but that is not very often. Anything History especially the middle ages, read.. more..

Writing