Chapter VI

Chapter VI

A Chapter by Chris Rogers
"

Chapter 6 of the novel Reapers

"

The roar of the two Ducatis came to an abrupt end as Ezekiel and Cavanaugh arrived at their temporary shelter just on the outskirts of the Angel's Crossing city limits. Helmets in hand, they made their way into the large abandoned warehouse they currently called home. Inside, a monstrous black Mercedes-Benz Zetros 2733 RV, accompanied by the two Ducati motorcycles and a cherry red 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS with black stripes that ran the length of the car.

"Oh, home sweet home," Ezekiel called out, his voice echoing off of the barren, rusty walls of the warehouse.

"I wouldn't get too excited," a menacing female voice warned as a petite blonde emerged from the rear enclosure of the Mercedes-Benz with a helmet tucked under her arm.

"Oh, is that so, Aurora?" Ezekiel sneered, narrowing his eyes at her.

"Yeah, prick, that is so. Oh, and I'm borrowing your bike. Thanks, love you!" She jeered, snatching the keys from his hand. Aurora blew them both a playful kiss as she jogged happily over to one of the Ducatis before revving it to life and disappearing out of the warehouse and into the night.

"What did I tell you, Zeke," Cavanaugh sighed softly as they continued towards the door Aurora had just come from.

"I know, Cavanaugh. I know. Look, I'll take responsibility for everything. I'm overdue for an a*s chewing of Biblical proportions anyway, so it'll be nothing new for me. I'll say you were following my lead and didn't realize what I was up to, no harm done on your part. Trust me, he likes you better anyway," Zeke explained, his face twisting into a playful smile to offer Cavanaugh his condolences for tonight's antics.

"Likes me better? You know that isn't true, Ezekiel. Ryker is only looking out for what's best for everyone and you know that. I'm not worried about being "in trouble," Cavanaugh responded, using air quotes to signify the ridiculousness of something as petty as being verbally reprimanded. "I'm much more concerned about the fact of you two going in here and being at each other's throats when we are here for a reason, and that reason is not for everyone to be fighting with one another."

"Always the voice of reason, Cavanaugh. How is it that my life always seems to go astray yet I have you, my own personal therapist, at my side at all times?" Zeke joked as they approached the truck.

"Well, the thing about advice is that you have to actually follow it," Cavanaugh responded promtly as he pulled the door to the truck's enclosed space open and allowed for Ezekiel to head in first.

A wide array of screens lined the farthest wall of the area, a thin young man placed in front of them, monitoring each one with an eagle eyed gaze. His shaggy blonde hair fell loosely in front of his pointed face as he spun around abruptly from the screens. He'd heard the door swing open, only to find Ezekiel and Cavanaugh entering the vehicle.

"Mikeyyyy!" Ezekiel gushed, throwing his arms out like he'd not seen the guy in years.

"Hello, Michael," Cavanaugh added, offering the boy in front of the screen a simple nod of recognition.

"Hi guys," Michael replied, his attention resorting back to the array of screens against the wall. "Enjoy your night on the town?"

"Eh, I guess you could say that. I have the strangest feeling I'm about to pay dearly for it, though," Ezekiel confessed, leaning lazily against the desk Michael was seated at monitoring the screens.

"Oh, and I wonder why that is," A new voice snapped as a broad shouldered man emerged from the very door they'd just entered. "You two, out," The man commanded of Michael and Cavanaugh, requesting only Ezekiel's presence. They quickly disappeared into the section of the warehouse that had been converted to living quarters, offering Zeke glances of sympathy before they went. Due to the warehouse's enormity, it was certainly easy to offer some privacy.

The man simply leaned against the desk adjacent to Ezekiel, folding his arms over his chest as he narrowed his steel blue eyes into a menacing glare.

"Look, Ryker.. all I did was try and go have some fun with Cav, I led us to some stupid little bon fire the local kids were having and I may or may not have jumped in on a tiny scuffle they were having. It was totally no big deal, nobody suspected anything. You told us to feel the place out, see how the locals are, blend in, so technically we were just doing what you asked of us," Ezekiel explained, his face riddled with nervousness as he prepared for Ryker's reaction.

"You know, Ezekiel, I'd probably buy that if I didn't see what happened with my own eyes. How do you think I even know about it? If I didn't know exactly what happened, why would you even be explaining yourself to me?" Ryker wondered aloud. "Or maybe is it because that we've done this routine in every location we've found ourselves in?" He continued. "So now, do you just automatically come tell me about the walking circus you went out and performed whenever you're out of my sight due to guilt?"

Turning his attention from Ezekiel, Ryker approached a nearby keyboard that connected to one of the screens mounted to the wall. A few keystrokes later and a night vision video appeared on the above screen, displaying the entirety of the encounter. Ezekiel could do nothing to argue his innocence this time.

"Yeah, looks like no big deal. Just you slamming some college kid on the ground with enough force to render him unconscious in a crowd full of people, professional wrestling style. You know, at least you're one for showmanship, I'll give you that." Ryker complimented, turning his sights from the video back to Ezekiel. "It's sad I have to have Kyra follow you with a camera strapped to her to see exactly what you're doing at all times, like a toddler. I should be able to trust you, Ezekiel, and yet I find myself completely unable to because you insist on going out of your way to make sure you let everyone within a hundred miles know that you're the cool guy who can fight. Unbelievable."

"Ryker, the kid was being pulverized. What was I supposed to do? Just stand by and do nothing? Let him die, even?" Ezekiel pleaded. "That's not what you taught me."

"No, I taught you to always do what's best for everyone. Shoving your damned nose in business that is of absolutely no concern to us is not so!" Ryker snarled. "So don't dare think that you're going to throw your own pathetic irresponsiblity in my face and say it's my fault! I taught you to be focused on the task at hand, to remain fully aware of our situation at all times and to never, ever bring attention upon yourself. I mean, what part of any of this just doesn't sink in with you? We are here for a reason, a job. We are not here to mingle and make friends with these locals and be their hero. They are nothing more than simple camouflage for us. We are to be inconspicous. Blend. Be invisible. Yet here you are, beating the ever living s**t out of kids within the first few hours of stepping off of this God forsaken truck! I am here to see that our objectives are met with as little turmoil as possible, but if you can't handle that and want to continue to act like a child, there is the door and all I can say is good riddance, because I'll be damned if I'm going to have you here putting everything and everyone involved in danger." Ryker finished, his eyes wide with fury as he waited for Ezekiel's response.

"I understand," Ezekiel murmured. It was all he could muster up. He'd never seen Ryker like this, usually he got a simple lecture about being more careful, but apparently Ryker had finally had enough.

"Just, go get some rest. It's been a long day for all of us," Ryker ordered, running his hand through his short, cropped hair in frustration.

Ezekiel simply nodded in agreement, retreating to the sleeping quarters with his head hung in humiliation. It was there he found Cavanaugh sitting patiently, his eyes fixed on the tablet before him as he caught up on the world's current events.

"Well, I'd ask you how it went, but I had no trouble hearing it for myself, sadly," Cavanaugh sympathized. "You know, as harsh as he may be, he just wants what's best. For all of us."

"Yeah, sure," Ezekiel muttered so softly that it was barely audible. Crawling into one of the nearby beds, he pulled the comforter up to his neck and curled up without a word.

Cavanaugh could tell that Ryker had struck a nerve this time. Ezekiel never took things lying down. Cavanaugh let out a light sigh and offered a good night before flipping the lights and filling the room with darkness. He figured the tension would eventually die down over time, or at least he hoped so.



© 2016 Chris Rogers


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
Added on January 30, 2016
Last Updated on July 10, 2016
Tags: Action, Adventure, Fiction, Mystery, Supernatural, Fantasy, Teen, Young Adult, Vampires, Witches, Werewolves


Author

Chris Rogers
Chris Rogers

Walker, LA



Writing
Chapter I Chapter I

A Chapter by Chris Rogers


Chapter II Chapter II

A Chapter by Chris Rogers


Chapter III Chapter III

A Chapter by Chris Rogers