Chapter XIV

Chapter XIV

A Chapter by Chris Rogers
"

Chapter 14 of the novel Reapers

"

"What is this? What's happening? People are breaking into my house, shooting magic ice out of their hands?! What the hell!? My mother is dead!," She exclaimed, a crippling wave of reality hitting her as those final words escaped her lips. November drew her hand to her mouth in awe as so many thoughts began to rush to her mind, she felt as though her very skull would burst from the sheer pressure of it all.

"I know this is an extremely difficult situation and I'm very sorry for the loss of your loved one, but you must trust me right now and tell me where your brother is . Not only your safety, but his, is in grave jeopardy," Cavanaugh warned, his hands grasping November's shoulders firmly as to wake her from her meltdown.

"He..he's at Emery's. My friend Emery. I'll point you there," She stuttered as they turned and continued towards the Jeep parked in the distance. It was a monstrous vehicle, black from top to bottom. Massive off road tires were wrapped around the riveted rims and the entire surface of the vehicle was coated in some sort of abrasive texture similar to the bed-lining of a pick up truck. The front bumper housed not only LED lights but a colossal winch that seemed capable of pulling the Jeep out of just about anything. "Let's g--"

November suddenly found Cavanaugh atop her as she was knocked to the ground in a jarring frenzy. The entire front of her home had erupted in flames as a pillar of thick, dark smoke rose to the sky. The shockwave of the blast had thrown them both to the ground, with Cavanaugh covering November to protect her from any loose debris.

"Oh my God," was all she managed to stutter.

"We must go," Cavanaugh advised, lifting November from her fall and opening the mesh canvas door of the vehicle. "Climb in. Zeke, what's going on? Aurora? You two alright?" He asked, speaking into his earpiece.

"We're good! Nothing but a few singed eyebrows, here. Aurora got here just in time. Pulled me out on the other side before this crazy b***h blew the house to bits! We've got a Class 5 here, going to cause serious problems for us." Ezekiel answered.

"A Class 5..?" November asked, the Jeep grunting to life as they tore through the grass of her back yard and headed straight for the wooded area behind her house. "Uh, what are we doing...there are trees, thorny vines, spiders, you can't just plow through here!" She cried, taking note that they were in an open top vehicle, leaving all sorts of nasties to find their way into it.

"Good news, but where are the hostiles?" He replied to Ezekiel. "I promise you, we will explain everything later. Right now, we just need to get to Nathaniel." Cavanaugh explained softly, turning his attention to November for the moment.

The Jeep plowed through the grassy yard directly into a small opening in the woods that lingered behind her now smoldering home. The night air, once filled with the chirps of crickets and deafening croaking of frogs was drowned out by the crackle of snapping vines and tree branches as the vehicle made quick work of the forested area. The vehicle tore through like a vicious wild animal after its prey, clawing and gnarring at the terrain surrounding it, forcing through. The abrasive outer coating seemed to grind through tree bark like butter as it bashed against the trees, showering the forest floor with splinters and dust from the damaged pines. November was clinging to whatever she could, for fear of colliding with a stubborn tree, or worse, a flying cockroach. Not to mention the ride was extraordinarly rough jarring her slim body as it tossed her to and fro. The numerous LED lights dressing the front of the vehicle made quick work of the darkness. It was like having concentrated sunlight pouring from headlights. Cavanaugh was relatively calm through the chaos, all while happily displaying his skills as an outstanding driver.

"We're trying to hold -," Ezekiel explained, cut off by crashing noises in the foreground. "Them off, but they caught us off guard with their little Houdini," He continued.

"We're going to stall them as long as we can, just get to the kid," Aurora chimed. “We're getting our asses handed to us out here. Could really use a TORCH, Ryk.”

“Out of the question, Aurora. Too many civilians, you know that.” Ryker said firmly, his voice laced with faint concern. “Get this under control. You've got a house burning in the middle of a neighborhood, local authorities are going to be all over this.”

"We're on it. ETA around two minutes" Cavanaugh confirmed.

"What? his house is at least ten minutes from mine," November interjected.

They continued at a breakneck speed through the narrow openings of the woods for several more moments before the Jeep emerged victoriously on the other side, a trail of broken tree branches, splintered wood, and shredded plant life falling behind them. The off-road tires gripped the newly found asphault with a painful screech as they fish-tailed onto the highway, only seconds from Emery's home.

"How did you know to..." November questioned, completely perplexed. "Forget it." She grumbled, tossing her hands into the air in total defeat.

"All in time. Come on," He explained, the Jeep rumbling to a halt in front of Emery's home.

November noticed that his parents car seemed to be missing, which on this night of utter insanity, was probably for the best. She removed herself from the vehicle, hopping into the grass and running quickly for the door. "Nate! Nate!" November called, scrambling to the entrance.

Her fists pounded against the thick door in a fury, praying for him to hear her.

"Nate! Emery, open up! Please!" She begged, her fists continuing to collide with the surface of the door in a series of thunderous bangs.

"Have you lost your mind?!" Emery exclaimed, swinging the door open as Nathaniel exited the room near him, rubbing the sleep from his tired eyes. "What's going on, and what..what are you doing here?" He inquired, leaning out of the door as he took notice of Cavanaugh.

“Get inside, now,” Cavanaugh instructed.

He shoved Emery back inside, pulling the door closed behind him. Making his way hastily to the windows, he pulled the curtains closed.

“Where is Nathaniel?” He asked, glancing around the living room. “It's imperitive that he come with us.”

“Hold on, you show up at my house in the middle of the night with November, who looks like she just got dragged through the woods, in this Robocop outfit” Emery inquired, motioning to the body armor Cavanaugh was wearing “This is a prank, right?”

“I don't have time for this, November, please.” Cavanaugh looked to her, hoping for her assistance in dealing wih her friend as he went down the hall to search for Nathaniel.

She simply shook her head in her inquisitive friend's direction.

He stopped, turning his head slightly at an angle, listening for any sign of life. Cavanaugh could hear the smooth beating of a young heart just beyond the door to his right.

“Gotcha,” He murmured, shoving the door open and kneeling next to Nathaniel without hesitation. “I need you to wake up, Nate. You're in danger, my friend.” He warned.

Cavanaugh gently pressed his shoulder to budge him from his sleep. “C'mon buddy.”

Nathaniel awoke with an unhappy groan, only to be startled at the sight of the man at his bed side.

“What are you doing here?!” He mumbled, trying to rub the sleep from his eyes.

“Look, Nathaniel, I do not have time to explain. There are people coming for you, dangerous people. But for now we have to go,” Cavanaugh advised.

November rushed into the room, crouching by the bed to embrace Nathaniel tightly.

“He's telling the truth. They already came for you at our house,. They...Mom's gone.” She couldn't quite find the right words to say, struggling through even that simple statement. “We're going with him.”

What are you talking about? It's the middle of the night. Are you crazy?” Nathaniel groaned. “Why are you even here?” He continued, gazing at Cavanaugh in confusion.

“Look, we'll explain everything. To both of you, but right now we must go.” Cavanaugh commanded.

The silence filling the home was disrupted abrubtly by the gentle rattling of a doorknob being fondled. It was clear someone was picking the lock. Cavanaugh froze, his attention locked on the noises.

“Stay here.” He demanded, heading out of the room to investigate.

Cavanaugh crept through the home without a sound, his eyes drifting around the corner of the hallway for any signs of movement. The kitchen door near the rear of the house was the source of the disruption. His steps were gentle and silent as he crept towards it. Cavanaugh's hand rested on a sidearm that sat in a holster against his thigh as he awaited confirmation on who was coming in. The door swung towards him, his pistol drawn almost instantaneously as it met Ezekiel's shocked face. 



© 2016 Chris Rogers


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on January 30, 2016
Last Updated on July 10, 2016
Tags: Action, Adventure, Fiction, Mystery, Supernatural, Fantasy, Teen, Young Adult, Vampires, Witches, Werewolves


Author

Chris Rogers
Chris Rogers

Walker, LA



Writing
Chapter I Chapter I

A Chapter by Chris Rogers


Chapter II Chapter II

A Chapter by Chris Rogers


Chapter III Chapter III

A Chapter by Chris Rogers