Chapter VIII

Chapter VIII

A Chapter by Chris Rogers
"

Chapter 8 of the novel Reapers

"

In the outskirts of New York, The sunlight gleamed off of the black veneer of the windows of the massive 13 story compound that housed the V.A.M.P. Corporation. Out in front, the tower announced its presence to all of those surrounding it as its contemporary architecture clawed at the sky in a most confident fashion. It was a clean, white tower with rows upon rows of large, dark windows lining most of its large structure and the substantial presence of the V.A.M.P. Corp logo in the dead center of the building, nestled at the top. Its primary function was to be the beacon of stability, to represent the great, powerful leap forward that V.A.M.P. Corp was making in the world. Of course, it was also for the more practical things, like offices and conference halls. Behind the tower sat the remainder of the compound, subtle modern white rectangular buildings used mostly for testing, research, and other essential functions, all labeled with a large V.A.M.P. Corp logo on the outer walls. For those unfamiliar, it stood for the Viral And Microbiological Pharmaceutical Corporation. They were the cutting edge in medical research and development. Their exponential leap in anti-biotic development and medical treatment had all but eradicated most diseases that were once thought of as untreatable. V.A.M.P. Corporation was the new face of the medical world, and at the helm was the unstoppable Lillith Devereaux.

Like many uber profitable public figures, Lillith enjoyed her success in the spotlight. She made sure her face was in the forefront when being associated with her company to make sure people knew V.A.M.P. Corp was dead set on achieving their goals of a better world; a healthy world, all under her guidance. While Lillith did her best to push her company to make headway in medical science, there were always setbacks. Many of the tests on battling more prominent diseases, such as cancer, had back fired and caused horrific effects. While, many stories were trickled down to pure campfire stories, like people transforming into terrifying creatures and escaping into the night, some of the truer events had made headlines, only fueling Lillith's fire for progress and forcing her to thrust herself even further into the limelight to avoid humiliation. V.A.M.P. Corp always recognized their failures, with Lillith proudly accepting their responsibility in televised interviews, press conferences, and the like and seemed to always be readily forgiven. Lillith was in the business of healing the world, and she wanted people to know it.

V.A.M.P. Corp held multiple government and medical contracts with various hospitals and government agencies. They developed super-efficient medicines and treatments for the armed forces in the field, such as instant-healing gunshot wound silicone. It had come to the point that they had advanced antibiotics so far that they provided the majority of them for almost every hospital in the nation, which drove multiple pharmaceutical companies out of business. That, however, made her a target.

Luckily, Lillith was always ready with a plan. It was not her intention to force others out of work, but it was a business, after all. She felt remorseful, however, that did not stop the multiple protestors, sometimes violent, from showing up in the foyer of her building. Thus came her team of protection. Lillith had assembled an entourage of body guards and assistants whom she enthusiastically referred to as her "Shields." While Lillith herself had never been personally attacked, it never hurt to be prepared, in her eyes.

The soft tap of high heels against hard, ceramic floors echoed throughout the open lobby of the twelfth floor of the V.A.M.P. Corp tower as Lillith Devereaux made her way hastily to her office. Her soft face was situated in an optimistic grin as she walked by and nodded at the various versions of "Good Morning Ms. Devereaux" that were called in her direction. She could feel the rush of another person approaching her quickly, looking over only to find her most significant personal assistant, Rosalind Snow, there to greet her.

"Good morning, Ms. Devereaux! We've quite the day, today. You have a video appointment at 10:00 with the governor of New York, he wants to discuss that treatment plan for the underprivileged. After that, we have a flight to Louisiana that leaves at 3:00 for that research they're doing on floor 13," Rosalind explained promptly.

"Ah, good morning my dear Rosalind. How would I get through these long days without you, dear?" Lillith cooed as they continued towards her office. "The governor wants me to practically heal everyone in the state for free, including the homeless, and refuses to understand that as soon as we help them, they'll be out in the weather and living under overpasses and end up just as ill as they were to begin with. How is that helping us? I am completely committed to the greater good, but this is, after all, a business."

"That is an excellent point, Ms. Devereaux. Perhaps you should offer him a more elementary explaination. Basically, we're not a charity organization. Help us, help you." Rosalind concluded. "Are there any particular instructions for our trip to Louisiana that you would like to make me aware of?"

"Such a bright young woman, you always make me proud," Lillith complimented. "And no. I trust you should be able to handle everything as always."

"Yes, ma'am. I certainly will. Good luck on your meeting and I will rendezvous back with you as soon as it is over to accompany you to the car," Rosalind explained, disappearing in a wisp from Lillith's side.

The remainder of Lillith's day passed with haste, a whirlwind of endless paperwork to sign and meetings with people who far from amused her. It was brought to an abrupt end as the rapping of small knuckles against her thick, glass double doors awoke her from her barrage of constant business.

"Ms. Devereaux, we must be going now! We've a flight to catch!" Rosalind's small voice called through the door.

"Of course!" Lillith greeted as she pulled the heavy door open. "Let's get a move on then, shall we?" She added, making her way out of the substantial office behind her.

This was no regular business trip to Lillith. This trip was going to be her coup de gras to the scientific world and send her straight to the top, as if she wasn't already there. It was the quantam leap she'd been waiting for. Years of seemingly endless research were hanging in the balance of the results of this trip. She was brimming with excitement and anticipation, but she couldn't let anyone know too much. Lillith was, after all, a professional businesswoman and not a simple school girl on a field trip and she would have what she needed, one way or another. Rosalind escorted Lillith to the bottom floor, into the ornate lobby of their building.

"Hello, Ms. Devereaux, the cars are all ready to go, and the boys are waiting," a spritely second female voice greeted her.

"Thank you, Isadora. I have a wonderful feeling about this trip. It's going to really take us to new heights," Lillith gushed at the young receptionist who would be traveling with them.

"I look forward to it, as well, Ms. Devereaux," Isadora confirmed, offering a light smile, before diverting her attention to her earpiece that had illuminated upon receiving a call.

"Right this way," Rosalind instructed, extending her arm to open the door for Lillith.

Beyond the door sat a black Tesla Model S electric sedan. The rear door was held open and awaiting Lillith's arrival by a stocky man in an all-black suit. He, too, had an earpiece. However, his was branded with the V.A.M.P. Corp logo and most definitely not used for public calls.

"Gunner," Lillith nodded with appreciation as she entered the vehicle, followed by Rosalind.

"Ma'am," He respondly quickly, closing the door firmly behind her before taking his position in the driver's seat.

Gunner was soon joined by Isadora in the front seat once she had been released from her prior conversation. As soon as she joined them, Gunner placed the vehicle in drive and the Tesla silently embarked on its destination to the airport. There they would find the private V.A.M.P. Corp jet awaiting them.



© 2016 Chris Rogers


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on January 30, 2016
Last Updated on July 10, 2016
Tags: Action, Adventure, Fiction, Mystery, Supernatural, Fantasy, Teen, Young Adult, Vampires, Witches, Werewolves


Author

Chris Rogers
Chris Rogers

Walker, LA



Writing
Chapter I Chapter I

A Chapter by Chris Rogers


Chapter II Chapter II

A Chapter by Chris Rogers


Chapter III Chapter III

A Chapter by Chris Rogers