Chapter XVII

Chapter XVII

A Chapter by Chris Rogers
"

Chapter 17 of the novel Reapers

"

November attempted to compose herself, wiping away the tears from her now swollen eyes. She simply nodded in agreement of Perry.

“What I'm about to disclose with you is highly classified information, so when it leaves this building, so does any hope of anyone out in the real world taking you seriously. We run an underground military group that, according to anyone outside this building, doesn't technically exist. We are the Government Response for Insubordinate Manifestations. In English, that means we're a whole new war on terror. If it goes bump in the night, we bump it back. Every scary story you read as a kid about boogeymen, witches, and big bad wolves " was true.” Perry disclosed, his face remaining as straight and serious as ever. “There are things out there you cannot even begin to comprehend. Things you shouldn't have to comprehend. Why? Because that's our job, keep you, and the world, safe.”

“That's it. I've figured it out. This is a bad trip. An acid trip, somebody dropped a mushroom in my drink at the bar. That's all this is. And I think my trip ends here,” November declared, rising from her chair and hastily exiting the room.

She broke into a full sprint, through the computer room and back into the room where she'd seen the others.

“Whoa! Where's the fire?!” Ezekiel exclaimed as November found herself colliding with his chest.

“I've gone crazy. What, what is this?! You're serial killers, aren't you?! This is some kind of cult!?” She cried, running for the nearest door.

It was locked. She tore at the handle, trying to force it open. November turned, facing the others with her back pressed flatly against the door behind her as if hoping to melt into it.

“Stay away from me! All of you!” She bellowed, snatching a scalpel off of the table where Michael had been tending to Cavanaugh's injuries.

“November, just calm down. It's okay, no one here is going to harm you,” Cavanaugh assured her.

“Where-Where is the sling your arm was in!? Was that fake?!” She snapped at Ezekiel, noticing his bandaging was all gone.

“Put the knife down, and let us explain,” Zeke offered, approaching her with his arms extended in caution.

“Get BACK!” She roared, swinging the scalpel wildly.

It cut Ezekiel lightly across the cheek as a small trail of blood began to seep from the wound.

'Well, that was just plain rude,” He reached up, wiping the blood away as the cut began to seal itself shut almost instantaneously.

November's eyes widened as she watched him heal before her eyes. She put her hands up to her ears and began to shake her head in disbelief. Michael stared in horror as Cavanaugh sat in the bed, still being mended. Aurora had had enough of the show.

“We should've never told her,” She growled, stomping over to November. “Alright crazy lady, time to go to sleep.” She commanded, jabbing a syringe full of sedative into her shoulder. “Night, night!” She teased as November's consciousness faded.

“What the Hell is going on in here!? I was unaware this was suddenly a lunatic asylum!” Ryker barked, rushing into the room.

“What?! She lost it, Perry told her and this is what happened. This b***h's cheese slipped right off her cracker and I had to deal with it. Honest, boss,” Aurora explained.

“The sad part is that I wasn't even done telling her everything,” Perry joked, staring sadly at November's sleeping body.

“Alright, I think all of you have done enough to this poor girl's sanity for one day,” Ryker warned. He knelt down, lifting her limp body and cradling it against his chest. “Let's go put you in a real bed and try this again in a few hours.” He said softly, turning to carry her to their sleeping quarters in hopes that she'd wake up in a more understanding state of mind.

        "Cavanaugh, I'll leave you with this responsibility. You're clearly the only one around here who isn't keen on stabbing people with horse tranquilizers or terrifying them into stabbing you. When she wakes, have a talk with her. See that she remains calm," He explained, shooting an angry glance in Aurora and Ezekiel's direction.

        "Have fun babysitting psycho Barbie," She mocked.

        "Enough!" Ryker snapped

        "I will see it done, Ryker. You have nothing to worry about," Cavanaugh reassured him, wincing in bed from his still healing injuries. "As for you Aurora, don't you have some Metallica to blare and seven more sticks of eyeliner to apply to make sure the world knows what a rebel you are?"

        "Good thing we're in the med unit, because you're gonna need some ointment for that BURN!" Ezekiel acclaimed, waving his hand in front of Aurora's face obnoxiously.

        "I hate you with every fiber of my being. I'm out of here," She snorted, stormping off with a scowl carved into her face.

        "Thank you, Cav. At least I can still count on someone around here." Ryker assured him with a simple nod before heading on his way with November.



© 2016 Chris Rogers


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
Added on January 30, 2016
Last Updated on July 10, 2016
Tags: Action, Adventure, Fiction, Mystery, Supernatural, Fantasy, Teen, Young Adult, Vampires, Witches, Werewolves


Author

Chris Rogers
Chris Rogers

Walker, LA



Writing
Chapter I Chapter I

A Chapter by Chris Rogers


Chapter II Chapter II

A Chapter by Chris Rogers


Chapter III Chapter III

A Chapter by Chris Rogers