Chapter IX

Chapter IX

A Chapter by Chris Rogers
"

Chapter 9 of the novel Reapers

"

Flash cards were scattered across November's room like confetti on the streets after a parade as she gave her best attempt to study for an upcoming physiology test. Nathaniel was doing his best to assist her, but it seems as though they were on a rocky road.

"I can't do this, I'm just going to drop out," November complained, rolling over on her bed to cover her face with the nearest pillow.

"We got this, look, what about this one," Nathaniel said confidently as he picked up one of the flash cards and attempted to read it aloud. "Dehydration will cause the hem...herma...he...hemocrit? You're right, just drop out," Nathaniel concluded, tossing the card to the side. He wouldn't be much help here, especially when he couldn't pronounce most of the information.

"My brain just...can't hold any more information. I'll just have to be a stripper or work in a traveling circus," She groaned from beneath the pillow.

"Someone's dramatic today," Nathaniel teased, as he rose from the floor and snatched the pillow from November's face. "C'mon, let's go annoy Mom," He suggested.

"Good idea," November agreed, hopping from the bed to make her way downstairs.

They arrived downstairs to find their mother Lisa hacking away at various vegetables strewn across the countertops. She was in the process of making dinner before heading off to the hospital for her night shift.

"Geez, Mom it looks like a garden exploded in here," Nathaniel teased, picking up a raw carrot and spinning it around by its leaves.

"Well, you know, I thought I'd be a good mother and make you guys dinner before I left. I know pot roast is no comparison to half a bag of Doritos and a Hot Pocket, but, I do my best," Lisa grinned, continuing to cut at the potatoes in front of her. "Besides, I can't let you kids sit here are starve. The next thing I know, I'd see you on TV being walked through an old crumbling town while Angelina Jolie says that I can feed you both for fifty cents a day."

November laughed softly as she stared at the large hunk of meat in the pot on the stove. It was nice to hear her mom makes jokes as opposed to her usual seriousness with all that was going on in their small family. Nathaniel's sickness had a tendency to take the fun out of the room and replaced it with worry and fear. They tried to always just make the best of it.

"November, I'll need you to watch this once I leave and make sure it gets done and doesn't burn the house down," Lisa warned, nodding towards the pot as she chopped the last of the vegetables and tossed them into the boiling water.

"I'll try my best," November teased at her mother, tossing her a towel to clean off the knife with.

Their small family meeting was abrubtly interrupted as a soft knock on the door echoed through the room. The Brooks family was no stranger to visitors, especially since Marielle and Emery made it a habit to show up unannounced most of the time. November took it upon herself to make her way over and answer the door. Leaning in, she peeped out of the small hole in the door expecting to find one of her friends on her doorstep. Instead, there stood a petite girl with fiery red hair pulled into a tight bun on the side of her head, white horn rimmed glasses and almost porcelain-like skin.

"Who is it, honey?" Lisa called as she hastily cleaned up the kitchen.

"Uh, I have no idea," November replied, confused.

Pulling the door open, November was greeted with a gleaming smile that bled across the young woman's face.

"Hi, can we help you?" November asked the girl, turning to her mother as she approached from the kitchen.

"Yes, how can we help you?" Lisa repeated, standing at her daughter's side.

"Indeed you can! Would it be possible to have a moment of your time?" The red haired girl responded perkily.

"Are you like, selling Bibles or something?" November questioned, raising her eyebrows in suspicion.

"No, of course not! My name is Rosalind Snow and we are from the pharmaceutical supplier V.A.M.P. Corporation. I trust you've heard of us?" The red head asked politely, pointing to the small V.A.M.P. Corp logo pin attached the to the collar of her blazer.

"Oh, really?" Lisa asked, her eyes widening with surprise as she noticed a black sedan in their driveway. Two men in dark suits had made their way to the back door and were holding it open for an older woman in a stark white outfit, a blazer and accompanying pencil skirt. Her auburn hair was cut in a perfect shoulder length bob. It was familiar to Lisa, but it took her a moment to come to the startling realization that the founder and CEO of a multi-billion dollar corporation was now approaching her home. "Come in, please!" She demanded, still awe-struck as Lillith Devereaux approached her home once Rosalind waved to notify her they'd been invited in, the two men in dark suits following closely behind her. Lillith also had another female assistant with her, a young blonde with her hair pulled back into a tight ponytail.

Lisa quickly moved the magazines and other various things off of the coffee table and out of the way as she made room for the entourage of people who were entering her home. Meanwhile, Nathaniel and November found themselves standing there in utter confusion as random people began to file into their home. As they approached, November couldn't help but peer out the door at them, noticing the vehicles across the way. There was a black sedan, but behind it sat the same black BMW she'd seen days prior. Could it be the same one? It couldn't possibly be a different one, parked there at the exact time of this random meeting. Something didn't quite add up.

"What a lovely home you have, and such beautiful children," Lillith complimented, placing a hand softly on both November and Nathaniel's shoulders as she made her way past them to approach Lisa. "Thank you so very much for inviting us into your home. I know this is very unorthodoxed and probably a little shocking and confusing for you, but I promise you that we do not mean to waste your time."

"Oh, no it's fine! Please, have a seat!" Lisa demanded, flustered as she took a seat across from the couch she insisted they sit on. "Can I get any of you anything to drink?" She asked as Nathaniel and November made their way to sit close to her on the arms of the large chair she sat in.

"No my dear, we are fine. But thank you," Lillith assured her as she made her way to the couch and sat silently in the middle as her two assistants parked themselves on both sides of her while the two men stood silently at each end of the couch.

"I'm sorry this is so cramped, I'm not used to hosting so many guests!" Lisa laughed nervously as she stared across the room at the intimidating few.

"Oh, we are fine. Don't worry yourself. We are, after all, the one's that barged into your home," Lillith chuckled softly. "But first things first! Please, allow me to introduce you to all of these strangers I've burdened you with. I, as you may know, am Lillith Devereaux, founder and CEO of V.A.M.P. Corporation. This lovely young lady you've already had the pleasure of meeting, is Rosalind Snow, my personal assistant," Lillith confirmed, placing a hand on red-head's shoulder as she offered a simple nod of recognition. "This other lovely young lady is my other assistant, Isadora Von Furst. And these two spritely men are my heads of security. Gunner Mason and Ekko Von Furst," She concluded.

Isadora seemed to be preoccupied with the bluetooth earpiece that continuously lit up like a Christmas tree the entire time that Lillith spoke. She clearly was in charge of taking the calls and looked to be related to one of the heads of security, Ekko, who had the same ashy blonde hair. His hair, too, was slicked back, except in more of a greasy, last minute kind of way. Something about him made November uncomfortable. She wasn't sure if it was the fact that his face looked like it had been carved into a permanent scowl, or maybe it was because he looked as though he would stomp on a kitten and continue walking. November caught herself gazing at him only to be met with an intimidating glare. She quickly diverted her eyes to Gunner, the scruffy, stocky fellow at the other end of the couch with messy brown hair. At least he looked as though he might be physically capable of cracking a smile. They were both dressed in pristine black suits with a V.A.M.P. Corp logo pinned to their collars. If anything, at least Lillith was one for good presentation.

"However, the main reason we are here is you, my dear Nathaniel," Lillith explained. "As you know, V.A.M.P. Corporation is responsible for curing, treating, and basically irradicating many of the world's once thought of "untreatable" diseases. We have successfully treated things like Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and HIV, but as you know, there's just some nuts we haven't been able to crack. And that is why we are here, Lisa. I believe we are about to change that and we want to make you an offer you can't refuse," Lillith finished, her minty green eyes wide with excitement as she took Lisa's hand in her own as a show of support.



© 2016 Chris Rogers


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
Added on January 30, 2016
Last Updated on July 10, 2016
Tags: Action, Adventure, Fiction, Mystery, Supernatural, Fantasy, Teen, Young Adult, Vampires, Witches, Werewolves


Author

Chris Rogers
Chris Rogers

Walker, LA



Writing
Chapter I Chapter I

A Chapter by Chris Rogers


Chapter II Chapter II

A Chapter by Chris Rogers


Chapter III Chapter III

A Chapter by Chris Rogers