Desires

Desires

A Poem by Kayleen
"

morals are social

"
I wish to run an island like the Pleasure Island of Pinocchio.
I wish to name it Babylon 
and to squander the souls of a generation. 
I wish to take down everything i love with avenging force 
and leave it in the rubble of my own demise.
I wish to live on that island, surrounded by exotic men and expensive cocaine 
and lose my mind and soul in such ungodly synchronization.
I want to watch my humanity pour from me in sweat and blood drawn out 
in the divine indecencies to which mine own blackest mind wishes to succumb. 
and I feel this jubilee of decadence and anarchic turpitude 
beginning to encroach upon my heart 
and as i open my arms to welcome this bliss of ignorance; 
lavish and twisted death besmirched in the jewels and finery of carnality and excess; 
I see only my God standing in the way.

© 2010 Kayleen


Author's Note

Kayleen
Please leave a comment if you bothered to take the time to read it. thank you

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"I wish to live on that island, surrounded by exotic men and expensive cocaine
and lose my mind and soul in such ungodly synchronization."

Sounds like a you want go on a great big bender....
I like the build up. Like a tea kettle or some pot on the stove coming to a boil.
Only to be foiled by ...the old man.
"I see only my God standing in the way."
I thought this was brilliant.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Intersting indeed... I think this needs a few reads before I can absorb it in it's entirety...

Posted 13 Years Ago


a very interesting piece indeed. not bad. (:

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ah that blasted conscious that never stops nagging at the back of the head...yarg

Posted 13 Years Ago


this maked me want to be there I mean dam good way of explaining great poem...

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
This is cleverly written hon, a fabulous write:)
The last line sums it up nicely, so easy to be bombarded with social pressure and so called/judged rights and wrongs! Leaves us blinded in the end!
A great poem
xx

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ha ha -- now this right off reminds me of three classic referents. Most anything of Ginsberg's, Ferlinghetti's Coney Island of the Mind, and a funny absurdist parable by Henri Michaux called "My King."

If you want to have your cake and eat it too, as the odd saying goes (what else does one do w/cake?), try this: Define "God" as Existence Itself.

Then you're well on your way to a Blakean Marriage of Heaven and Hell.

"I want to watch my humanity pour from me in sweat and blood drawn out/in the divine indecencies to which mine own blackest mind wishes to succumb./and I feel this jubilee of decadence and anarchic turpitude/
beginning to encroach upon my heart"

Fine juicy lines.

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like this. You bring to light all the allure as well as the death of them. I love the last line.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I really enjoyed this poem because, as a high school student, I feel that most everyone I know is living in their own Babylon. I know that Devons described the image you portray as a "dystopia", but in many ways I also saw it painted as a utopia in the poem. The conflicting language within the poem really helped create the conflict between both the good and the bad aspects of the morality of our society. I really appreciated how strongly this poem portrayed a conflict within myself and it was refreshing to feel that I am not alone in seeing God stand between me and my Babylon.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a really interesting piece of work. It's what I've started to call a "trick poem" - which means that it deceives you into thinking you know what it means right up until the last line or verse and then suddenly discover that you were wrong...!! This doesn't take anything away from the strength and effect of this poem, however. In fact, I find on the whole that this form of poetry works rather well in conveying what it has to say - the juxtaposition of the end with the rest of the piece makes you think about what you've just read, which is very important..!
All the indulgence and negativity that is poured into the lines of this poem, create a vivid kind of dystopia in the mind, and the point made that only God stands between the human and chaotic self-destruction is made all the more potent as a result. Just how the reader interprets this message depends very much upon their religious point of view. For me, the term "God" applies to natural morals and Christianity, but not necessarily literally - more metaphorically, in that these humane values are the constraints that should be innate in all normal human beings. This is the ambivalence within that makes us human.
Very interesting and extremely effective.

Posted 13 Years Ago


And if you ever get tired of this exciting fantasy, you are welcome to put on your cowboy boots and stop by my farm for a ride on my back. The perfect girl would do both!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

873 Views
26 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 24, 2009
Last Updated on January 23, 2010

Author

Kayleen
Kayleen

Anaheim, CA



About
Kayleen. 22. California. I Like Old School Punk Rock, Electro nonsense, and Katy Perry. The Mighty f*****g Boosh. Everything else amazing overseas we dont have here. I make movies, bad decisions.. more..

Writing
Not Capable Not Capable

A Poem by Kayleen



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Tie me off Tie me off

A Poem by Kayleen