Chapter 2 (Change)

Chapter 2 (Change)

A Chapter by Quinn W

I rush home after school to call Jess. I need to get my plan into action. School's over soon, which means I will have many opportunities this summer. She is my new project that I wait to get started on. I dial her number and she picks up on the third ring.
"Hello?"
"Hey, this is Cooper, from homeroom."
"Oh, hey. What's up?"
"I was wondering if you wanted to hang out tonight. Do you have any plans?" I ask excitedly.
"We could go to the movies. It is Friday night so my curfew is later. We could see The Fault in Our Stars. I will warn you though, it will be sad."
"Or we could see The Visit. Will said is was really good when he went with the football team."
"Isn't that a horror movie? I don't really like horror movies. I mean I've never seen one, but I don't think I would like it," she says unsure.
"Well I think you should try it. They really get your adrenaline flowing."
"What if I get scared and scream and make a fool of myself and then-"
I cut her off: "Then I will protect you. If anyone says anything about it, I will beat them up."
"Oh sure you will."
"I would! Anything for a friend," I assure her.
"Oh, so we're friends now? We just met like six hours ago."
"I like to think of everyone as my friends. Except that guy that threw orange juice on me in the third grade. Brad Michelson will never be a friend of mine."
"I didn't know you held grudges," she laughs.
"Oh, I most definitely do! So don't stand me up, okay? You better be at the movies at eight o'clock sharp to watch The Visit. Got it?"
"Yeah I got it. I'll be there." She hangs up laughing. I can't wait.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I stand outside the movies waiting. I know I'm early but I'm still nervous that she'll bail. She doesn't seem like that kind of girl, but I can't be sure. I'm just oddly nervous. I don't understand why. I've been on dates before but this one is different. Wait, is this a date? Oh my god, what have I gotten myself into? I do like her but do I like her that-
"Hey! What are you waiting for?" Jess says, appearing out of nowhere and breaking my thought.
We get our tickets and some candy and head to the theater. We sit in silence for a little while and then the movie starts.
"I'm nervous," she says.
"You'll be fine. Don't worry. Remember what I said?"
"Yeah. Thanks."
She seems to enjoy the movie and not be scared until the girl screams and is being killed. She covers her eyes and  throws her head onto my shoulder not wanting to watch. I put my hand on her cheek to comfort her and she looks my in the eyes. Her blue-grey eyes staring into mine search for relief. I turn away and we watch the rest of the movie.
When the credits begin to roll and the lights turn on, we walk out to the parking lot. When we reach her car, she turns to me and hugs me.
When she backs away, I say "What was that for?"
"That was a thanks. I really enjoyed tonight. Thank you for taking me. It's nice to do something new and different than my normal."
"Well, you're welcome. Maybe we can do this again sometime" I say hopefully.
She gets into her car and drives off. I can't stop thinking about the way her eyes stared into me, full of fear yet somehow relaxed.


© 2016 Quinn W


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
Added on June 27, 2016
Last Updated on November 27, 2016


Author

Quinn W
Quinn W

SC



About
I have always enjoyed reading. It has taught me many things others just can't explain to you. It has also fueled my love of writing. I love writing short stories, they're my creative outlet, Mom would.. more..

Writing
Worthy Worthy

A Poem by Quinn W