Chapter 4 (Change)

Chapter 4 (Change)

A Chapter by Quinn W

I arrive at Jess' house after packing myself. I can't wait for this trip. I need to get out of this town. It's so boring here in the summer. As I pull up she's waiting anxiously at the steps in front of her porch. She looks upset. What have they said to her now? 
I walk up to her and grab her suitcase. "You ready?" I ask.
"So ready. How long's the drive?"
"About two hours. Not to bad." I pick up her suitcase and put it in the trunk of my car.
She grabs my hand and says "Thank you."
"No problem. It was a little heavy."
"No, that's not what I meant. I meant thank you for taking me on this trip. Thank you for thinking about me and trying to help me out. I really appreciate it."
"To be honest, I invited you more for me than you. After a few days you get tired of Will and Christina."
She laughs as I open her door and gesture for her to get in. I close her door and sit down, ready for the drive. She makes comments about the mountains and the great views along the way. We don't talk much during the drive. It's quite peaceful. If I had rode with Will, it would've been nonstop talking and sports. This was a nice alternative.
When we reach the lake house, I help Jess with her stuff. Will and Christina are already here. We walk in and see them making out one the couch. I clear my throat hinting our arrival.
"Oh, sorry Coop. We got a little bored waiting for you," Will says, apologizing.
"It's fine. This is Jess." She gives a slight wave.
"Hey Jess. Nice to finally meet you. Coop hasn't stopped talking about you for a while. This is my girlfriend Christina." He points to Chris.
"Hi! We should so share a room. We can paint each other's nails and do our hair and make up. It'll be so much fun! Girl's night every night!"
"I thought we were sharing a room" says Will slyly.
"Oh. Sorry Jess. You understand, right? I mean he is my boyfriend."
"Yeah that's fine. So where do I sleep?"
"You and Coop will have to share that room." He points to a room down the hallway.
"Oh."
"It's fine, Jess. I can sleep in here. The couch is a pull out," I say giving Will a death look.
"No, it's okay. I can't push you to the couch. That's rude. It'll be fine" she says, assuring herself more than me.
We head to our rooms putting our stuff down. She sits down on the bed looking uncomfortable. I know exactly what she's thinking about.
"I'm not like Will."
"What?"
"I don't sleep around. I won't push you or try to convince you to do something you don't want to do. I'm not like that."
"I know. I've just never slept in the same bed as a guy before."
"It'll be fine. It's just like a sleepover."
She laughs and I hear Will call my name. I look at Jess and then walk to him. He's in the kitchen talking to Christina. 
"Want to get in the pool or the lake first? Or we get kayaks or something."
"Have you ever been paddle boarding before?" I ask Jess. She shakes her head.
"Ugh, that's too hard. you're the only person who do it Coop." Will complains.
"I bet Jess could do it if she tried." 
I take Jess' hand and say "We are going to paddle board. You two can do something else if you don't want to come."
I walk out the door and down to the marina. Jess looks at the board and says "Is this a surf board?"
"Looks like one, right. You put it in the water on the edge of the dock, stand up, and take this paddle and start paddling. It sound easier than it is though."
I pick up the board and place it in the water.
"Hold onto my arm." She grabs my arm. "Now, get on your knees and put on the board and then the other." I squat down to help steady her.
"Great, you're a natural. Now, try to stand."
She tries to stand up but loses her balance and falls, dragging me into the water with her. The people around us start laughing. Jess is blushing, obviously embarrassed.
"I'm so sorry!"
"It's okay. Don't mind them. Just try it again. This time she kneels and then stands up perfectly on the board. I hand her the paddle and show her which way it goes. Then I get only board.
"Show off," she says. "You make it look so easy."
"I've had a lot of practice. I usually go out every morning when the water is calm. It doesn't look like there are any boats out so you should be fine. It takes a little practice to get your footing right and how to paddle correctly.
I teach her how to position herself on the board and how to paddle. After a few minutes, she's doing really well. We paddle for about a half hour. A boat runs by and the wakes toss her off her board. She laughs and looks at me.
"How the heck did you stay on?"
"I've got great balance" I say proudly.
"Oh really." she says and begins shaking my board. I twist around trying to regain my balance but fails and fall off.
We get back on our boards and paddle back to the marina. I help her off her board and we head back to the house. Jess looks like she had a lot of fun. I did to. I was surprised how easily she learned. It took me forever.
I realize I've been staring at her when she says "What?"
"Just surprised at how well you did."
"Well I learned from the best!"
I smie and we walk into the house.
"Can we go back out later?"
"Sure! We could go at night. There are these lights we can put on front of the boards"
"Yay!"


© 2016 Quinn W


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
Added on June 28, 2016
Last Updated on July 7, 2016
Tags: Romance, YA, adventure


Author

Quinn W
Quinn W

SC



About
I have always enjoyed reading. It has taught me many things others just can't explain to you. It has also fueled my love of writing. I love writing short stories, they're my creative outlet, Mom would.. more..

Writing
Worthy Worthy

A Poem by Quinn W