Chapter 5 (Change)

Chapter 5 (Change)

A Chapter by Quinn W

"You ready?" I ask Jess.
"Yeah. Just let me put my bathing suit on. Do you have the lights?" Jess replies.
"Yep. In my hand right now. Hopefully they still work. I haven't used them in-" Jess comes out in her bathing suit. I didn't realize how in shape she was. She doesn't have abs or anything but you can tell she takes care of her body well.
"-awhile." I finish.
"Okay. Let's go."
When we get to the dock, I put the boards against the dock and realize one of the board's fin is broken. How did that happen?
I look to Jess and say "This one's fin is broken." She looks sad. "But we can both still use this one. You can sit and I can paddle. I can give you a grand tour of the lake."
"Okay. Like a gondola but a paddle board."
"Yeah."
She steps onto the board first and slowly sits down to not knock herself off balance. I step on too and start to paddle. I can't help but notice how peaceful and beautiful she looks. Like the mermaid on the front of a ship. 
"Do you see how the moon's light is reflected on the water? I'd love to paint that."
"I didn't know you painted. Were the paintings in the hallway of your house, were they yours?" I ask Jess.
"No. Those are from Pottery Barn. I only put my paintings up in my room."
"Too good for other's eyes, huh?"
"No. I just like them in my room. It adds to the atmosphere."
"So you're an interior decorator too? We've been looking for someone to help us with our kitchen."
She laughs and asks where the running water sound is coming from. I know it's a waterfall. It's probably the prettiest I've ever seen but I want it to be a surprise for her. If she loved the way the moonlight reflected on the water, she'll love this.
"Close your eyes. I want this to be a surprise for you. You'll love it."
I paddle us over to the waterfall and tell her to open her eyes.
She gasps and says "It's so beautiful."
The water runs down the rocks elegantly. Not too fast, not to slow. It's maybe about thirty feet tall.
"Want to climb it?" I ask, hoping this gives her another chance to get out of her comfort zone.
"Um. Is it safe? What if we slip? And it's dark."
"It'll be fine. If you slip, I'll catch you."
I beach the board and start looking for the best path up. I've only ever climbed it once and that was a few years ago. I think I've found a good way up and motion for Jess to follow me. I don't have to help her at all. She's like a ninja. I'm panting when I get to the top but she's half way up and no winded at all. I spot some flowers and pick one for her. Cheesy I know but maybe she'll like the gesture.
When she makes her way up, I hand her the flower. She looks down at it "It's beautiful. I love hydrangeas." She looks back at me and motion for her to sit with me. We sit here for awhile, not saying anything. We just look t the view of the lake and the tiny lights from the houses' windows.
"This is probably the most fun I've had in a long time. I rarely come out of my room, except for when I go to the gym."
"I knew you worked out. I mean, I was huffing and puffing all the way up and you just climbed and climbed with no problem. I thought you were some kind of ninja or something."
"No, not a ninja. I'm a secret agent." We both laugh.
"It's so great to get away from everything sometimes. You're the only person I've met that can make me forget about that stuff. Thank you" she says as she kisses my cheek.
I blush and hope it's too dark for her to tell. "You're welcome."
She leans into my arm slightly and points to a little light moving around.
"Firefly. We used to catch them all the time when I was little. My backyard was always full of them."
I look at her. She looks back at me and I softly grab her chin. I pull her lips to mine. With little pressure I kiss her, just once. She looks into my eyes and kisses me back with minimal force. We stay sitting there for a long time, looking at each other.
Then, my phone rings. Way to ruin the moment Will!
"Yes?" I ask him.
"When are you guys coming back? We're about to watch the movie without you."
"Okay,okay. We're coming back now. Be there soon. Don't start it without us."
I look back at Jess and grab her hand. We climb down the water fall together and I paddle back to the house to watch the movie.


© 2016 Quinn W


Author's Note

Quinn W
I'm not used to writing romance so if you have any advice for me, please share.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
Added on June 29, 2016
Last Updated on July 7, 2016
Tags: YA, Romance


Author

Quinn W
Quinn W

SC



About
I have always enjoyed reading. It has taught me many things others just can't explain to you. It has also fueled my love of writing. I love writing short stories, they're my creative outlet, Mom would.. more..

Writing
Worthy Worthy

A Poem by Quinn W