Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Rosalyn Marie

            My mom called me down for dinner, so I washed my hands and went downstairs. When I came into the dining room my mom was still in the kitchen putting the last touches on our meal. Her long, dark brown hair was pulled neatly into a bun in her head, and she wore an apron over jeans and a t-shirt. She was a great cook. One of the things I miss the most is her delicious home-cooked meals.

 

            She asked me to get the milk out and I obliged, setting the gallon on the old pine table. My dad wasn’t home yet, he had called when he was leaving work to tell my mom when he would be home so she could time everything perfectly. Mom brought over a succulent looking roast chicken while I grabbed the bowl of carrots and some baked potatoes. As I poured milk into our glasses, Dad walked through the door and stepped into the dining room. He went to the closet to hang up his coat, then washed his hands.

 

            My dad was an engineer for a company. He drew the designs for products and crunched the numbers, then sent it off to be reviewed and manufactured. You may be picturing this old, balding, nerdy man with glasses, but that was totally not my dad. He had dark blonde hair and shining blue eyes. He must have looked like a poster boy for the stereotypical “blonde hair blue eyed kid” when he was younger. He was really smart though, so that’s how he got a nerdy job.

 

            We sat down to eat, and made casual conversation about our day. The chicken was delicious, as usual. I was asked about by school day again, but this time by my dad. I told him about what I learned, and we chatted about the things I was learning in history. Whenever I came home with a new fact about what I was learning, especially in science, my dad would almost always have some story to tell about it. Sometimes it was annoying, but most of the time it was really interesting. That’s another thing I really miss; the long talks I would have with my dad.

 

            We had a TV on the kitchen counter, and we were watching the news while we ate. Suddenly a news report about the abductions came on, and I shuddered slightly again. My mom noticed and asked me what was wrong. I told her about the van and how it was a little freaky, but it was probably nothing. She agreed, and said I was probably just paranoid because of all the crime dramas I watched. I did love crime dramas. Actually, one of my favorite shows, NCIS, was on that night.

 

            After helping clean up dinner, I went back upstairs to shower and study for a Spanish test I had the next day. By the time I was done with that, it was almost 8 and NCIS would be on. I grabbed my cell phone  a blanket off my bed and ran downstairs into the living room, which was empty. Tuesday nights at 8 I claimed the living room, because my parents didn’t like NCIS and they knew not to disturb me when I was watching one of my favorite shows.

 

I turned the TV on and made sure it was on the right channel before going into the kitchen to get a snack. I had a cup full of pretzels and a water bottle, which was my usual TV watching snack. I heard NCIS begin to start and I rushed into the living room. I placed my phone, the pretzels, and the water on the coffee table before plopping down on the comfortable leather couch and snuggling into my blanket. I grabbed the clicker and my phone, which I kept at ready in case I needed to text one of my friends something about the show. All of us watched it, and we would discuss the episode in extent at lunch the next day.

 

After the episode was over I finished texting my friend Emily, and I went upstairs to read and get ready for bed. I was reading a murder mystery novel by Tess Gerritsen, and it was very good, and almost a little scary. Like I said, I really loved crime dramas. I was even thinking about become a cop or maybe an actress on a crime show when I got older. I just never imagined that my actual life would turn into a crime drama, nor did I want it to.



© 2010 Rosalyn Marie


Author's Note

Rosalyn Marie
I may do a school-day chapter next, but I'm not sure it may be too dry. I guess it would be nice to run through Annabelle's day and meet her friends though... please tell me what you think :) half day tomorrow I'll try to write alot :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow. Now I'm going to backtrack and read the previous chapters! Great work!

Posted 13 Years Ago


The foreshadowing again leaves the reader hollow. But the quips throughout remind the reader that the protagonist is dead lessening the blow a bit. Can't wait for the next chapter. A school day chapter would get the reader more familiar with the character making it even harsher when she is killed. I'd say go for it. The ending line of the chapter is cliche but effective. Nice job. Man this is a long review...

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I LOVE THIS BOOK SOOO MUCH!!! NCIS AND TESS GERRITSEN!!! I like the line "I just never imagined that my actual life would turn into a crime drama"

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nice ending to a great chpt!!!! i rly like this book... A LOT!!!!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

216 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 16, 2010
Last Updated on November 16, 2010


Author

Rosalyn Marie
Rosalyn Marie

MA



About
I love reading, writing, and music, but my favorite thing is definately art :D I love love love to read and write though, so that's why I'm on this site :) I'm also in chorus, so that's where the mus.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..