an essay

an essay

A Chapter by Richard B. Berry

The human mind, despite our dominance over other earthly life forms, can in no way fully grasp the complexity of a Supreme Being or god. To those who claim to know God's intentions, I would have to question them and their motivations as some of the most heinous acts in human history have been done under the guise of divinely mandated. We have been given freewill for a reason, to choose as we may see fit. The logical implication of this is that the almighty guides each of us in a different way. While there may be a few common threads that make it easier for a society or group to function, salvation is purely an individual accomplishment. For only God our creator can truly know what goes on in our little minds.

 

 

As science, particularly physics and astronomy reveal increasingly fascinating discoveries and theories; it is only logical that we rethink philosophical and theological beliefs. Forgive me, as my knowledge of quantum physics and such is miniscule, but discoveries of other universes and such force one to contemplate existence in an entirely new way. For example, do the physical laws in this universe follow the ones in the next? It has been theorized that universes can overlap or 'leak' into others, which suggests that the physical nature of one contains elements of another. I wonder if this is how psychics can channel into other energies to use some of their gifts. I'm talking about the ones who can come up with information in an instant about a person they do not know and not the ones that use logical deduction to arrive at a lucky speculation.

 

 

Wrap your head around this: anything that can be imagined is possible, no matter how improbable. I know that is paraphrasing a quote somewhere, but it increasingly has meaning to me. Things that were impossible technologically a generation ago are now commonplace. We are on the threshold of discoveries that are mind boggling to behold. As a kid, it was only theorized that other planets existed and now I have lived long enough for them to find a new planet around a far off star practically every day. My children should live long enough to see a human expedition to Mars, should humans not nuke each other out of existence.

 

 

A common debate that I have had with persons of a certain religious belief is about whether or not humans should or will colonize space. The assertion is that God plans on destroying the earth, very soon, and then judging our souls accordingly. Couldn't the same thing be achieved on a more universal scale? Why should we limit ourselves in order to self fulfill a prophecy that is open to interpretation? This thinking makes a certain religion nothing more than a death cult when the appeal of salvation through love and compassion transcends so many boundaries. What better way to be fruitful and multiply than to explore and colonize the vast expanse that lies before us!

 

 

Why we cling to simplistic dogmatism is beyond me. As complex as God is, I'm sure that as time has gone on some accounting for technological and other changes has occurred. While the ten commandments is a good constant and not in need of adjusting, the bulk of the Old Testament's legalism is not exactly practical today and impossible to follow in a literal sense. Focusing on our sins is counter-productive when the prevailing themes in the teachings of Jesus were love, compassion and forgiveness. Everybody has flaws and sins, so pointing out the obvious about your neighbor while you do worse under the cover of darkness is hypocritical.




© 2015 Richard B. Berry


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
Added on June 9, 2015
Last Updated on June 9, 2015


Author

Richard B. Berry
Richard B. Berry

Alpharetta, GA



About
Been away for quite a while, but I'm back. more..

Writing
Stolen Stolen

A Chapter by Richard B. Berry