Subverted Expetations

Subverted Expetations

A Chapter by Regular Sama
"

Everyone is letted down by having high expetations on a little someone

"

Chapter 7 �" Subverted Expetations

 

Natasha

 

 The sunlight invades your room through your window, hitting you straight in the face. As you wake up you recall bits and pieces of the dream you had. You and Edgar in the same bed like right now, but you were actually hugging him. You could feel his heartbeat through his chest, and that sound and mild feeling made you fall asleep like you were with your head on a cloud. You just hugged him so tight it almost felt like he was going to complain, but instead he went for a hug himself...

 

 �" Come on Natasha! That was just a dream, so control yourself! �" You think while trying to shrug the red off of your cheeks. You then realize Edgar is still sleeping. He didn’t changed his clothes because he doesn’t like the concept of pajamas, saying that they are a waste of time and money and etc... �" I could just sit here and watch you like this all morning long... �" You just stay there, looking at him with passion in your eyes, secretly wishing he felt the same way about you... He then starts to wake up...

 

 

Edgar

 

 Hmm..? �" You mumble something while realizing morning just knocked. As you stretch yourself you realize you’re still with Natasha by your side. You look over and greet her. �" Good morning Sugar... I mean Natasha.

 

 �" Well... I don’t mind you calling me by my last name sometimes... �" She says while smirking a mild smug. She really hates her father’s last name because it’s supposed to be given to women because that’s what they are: sweet and fragile, only there to make something else more special. But when you call her that she almost forgets how much she dislikes it, and even enjoy hearing it sometimes. You wonder why...

 

 �" By the way, thank you for inviting me over. I don’t think I would have slept this well in my house knowing that Diask... knowing that my father could jump on me at any second and beat me up. �" She gives a concerned look over your comment.

 

I don’t think your father would do that to you Edgar. Maybe you’re still remembering the things that happened to you in that reality. �" She decides to stand up and go wash her face. �" But we’ll talk more about that some other time. You still owe me explanations about those apology requests you made me for no reason.

 

 Oh, right, that... You almost punch yourself for giving away any hints to that memory, that you shrug off as soon as it comes. That’s the last thing you wanna think about right now.

 

 Once she’s done you two go down to have breakfast. Pancakes... Last breakfast you had was a piece of bread from 3 days ago and expired ham. You savour each bite like tomorrow wouldn’t exist. Ted notices your rather weird behaviour and jokes around.

 

 �" Looks like you’re enjoying my wife’s special aren’t you? 

 

 �" Better than my last meal, that’s for sure... �" You let it go on accident. It’s been forever since you had a normal conversation with someone, and it seems that auto pilot haven’t been turned off yet.

 

 �" If that’s the case you can have another one if you’d like. �" Grace offers you, making you feel flattered. Sure enough you accept.

 

 �" What about me? Can I have another one? �" Natasha asks, her iconic babydoll eyes. Have she asked you you wouldn’t think twice, but her father had other plans.

 

 �" How about no? He’s our guest, and by the looks of it he didn’t had a decent meal in weeks. Besides, you don’t really deserve another pancake, do you? �" He straightens his eyes in a suspicious manner while saying that last part.

 

 �" Dad! We already talked about that, and nothing will change my mind! �" Now you’re just confused, but you don’t dare to ask.

 

 Once you’re done you go straight to the hideout. Once there Derick throws a rock at you, but your reflexes are far too rusty for you to have time to dodge.

 

 �" Ouch! Come one man, what was that for?

 

 �" Wow! And I didn’t even packed that much force into it... �" He ponders on something, ignoring your question and pain.

 

 �" Anyways. Whatcha wanna do today Edgar? �" Rose asks you while looking over to her watch. �" Today I don’t have anything special planned anyways, not until evening.

 

 �" Wait, why are you asking me? �" You ask her, confused. �" I thought Bastion... Oh wait. �" That catches everyone, and especially Bastion off guard.

 

 �" Wait. Back in your fake reality I was the leader? �" Sparks can be seen in his eyes. �" Wow... I can only imagine... But not here bud.

 

 �" So I’m cool with anything you choose. �" Natasha just stays behind you, minding her own business. Derick doesn’t seem to be interested in doing anything other than think about something else.

 

 �" What’s up... knucklehead? �" You try not to sound offensive. �" Thinking about something?

 

 �" Actually yes. There’s a greater force looking over me, because Margaret gave me another shot with her, and I ain’t messing this one up. �" He says with fierce in his eyes. Rose starts laughing.

 

 �" So that date was a disaster!

 

 �" Shut up before I sink you in cement! �" He barks at her comment, but that only makes Bastion and Natasha join the fun. Soon you too start giggling until he death glares you. You stop immediately and apologize.

 

 �" Sorry about that...

 

 �" Yeah, you better be! I’ll show all of you, this time I’ll nail it like a pro! �" He just wanders off in the woods to stress out. Bastion soon follows him while still laughing a bit.

 

 This feels good. It’s been so long since you last spent time with your friends you have forgot what this pleasure was. In fact, almost any kind of pleasure outside of... well, you try not to remember the things you did alone in your room as you look back to Natasha.

 

 �" I’m fresh out of ideas. What do you want to do? �" That catches her attention as she starts to plot things.

 

 

Meanwhile...

 

 �" Is everything ready sir? �" A scientist asks Cosack about his project.

 

 �" Everything’s going as planned, but until I find a way to properly use it outside the lab we won’t go anywhere with it. �" He thinks while addressing another scientist across the testing room.

 

 The place is covered with white tiles everythere, resembling a testing facility. A room with a reinforced glass view is next to a double iron door, also painted white. He soon tells everyone to leave.

 

 �" Beginning phase 3 of testing segments: powering the machine up without the power cable. Attempt #1. Chances of failure: 20%. �" As everyone leaves the computer says various informations while Cosack walks towards a exoskeleton-like machine.

 

 �" At last! After this is complete I’ll finally be able to begin phase 2 of my plan! Those rotten snakes won’t even see me coming.

 

 

Edgar

 

 It has been decided that you would just play some chess until school time. It was fun, for you at least. Natasha had no idea of what was going on, while Rose was shocked at how good Bastion was at it. Truly, you had no chance from the moment you saw him smirk a smug and put his hand on his chin. That was his land, his battlefield, and you fought bravely to the last pawn. Derick came from the woods chasing a rabbit. As soon as Natasha saw that she got furious and demanded him to stop, which he didn’t, so Rose had to do her bidding and hit his head hard. A small fight broke out and he ended up entangled around her rubber arms, giving up.

 

 Once noon approached everyone got ready to leave before Natasha gave you a worried look.

 

 �" Are you going to be alright on your own? 

 

 �" If you refer to school I’ll do alright. I think some of my old self came back this morning. �" You say while stretching your arms. �" And I didn’t had this much fun in months, so I don’t think there’s anything that can bring my mood down today.

 

 Hearing that makes her let a relieved sigh go. �" If you say so, then good luck.

 

 Time goes by as you reach Crimson High School, one of the eight prestiged High Academies, founded in tribute to the High Knights, long time heroes responsible for dealing with a certain person named “Titan”. Cool legend to base your schools off of. Derick and Bastion frequent Aqua High School, and Natasha is having her fair share of fun in Nano High School. Rose dropped out after failing the final exam twice.

 

 Everything goes way smoother than you expected. No one looked at you weirdly, no one made whispery comments from behind your back and some people even greeted you. Slowly but surely you came to remember all the good things you used to do here, but for some reason always thought they were boring and dull...

 

 The day flies by like a jet. All the teachers greeted you with hand shakes and mild polite bows, making you blush a bit everytime they did so. After last class you were ready to go back to the hideout, when Mrs. Sarah appears in your class and runs over to you, going for a hug. It feels so warm and cozy it’s almost as if you were hugging a pillow. It even resembles your mother’s own hug.

 

 �" I’ve heard what happened to you, and couldn’t stop thinking about how you would react to all of this. �" She begins to comfort you, and it feels awesome, but her hug is starting to embarass you. She realizes this and lets you go. �" Sorry, force of habit...

 

 �" It’s okay. And I’m doing fine, really. �" You don’t want to worry her with needless information. �" My friends are helping me with the little things I need, and besides. �" You flex a muscle while grinning. �" It’s not like someone would want to mess with these!

 

 She snorts. �" Of course, of course. Well, if you’re really fine I’ll let you go. Have a nice day Edgar, and don’t get in trouble again like this. �" You wonder if she really knows what happened.

 

 Once back at the hideout you realize none of your friends are there. You wonder if they decided to just go home today. Suddenly a familiar head pops in thin air by your side, making you trip and fall.

 

 �" Gotcha! �" Natasha’s body appears as she laughs out loud. Damn prankster... �" It had to work at least once, and waiting here for you was worth it. You can come out guys.

 

 As she says that everyone else comes out from behind trees, making you feel embarassed at this humiliation. They won’ escape you next time they let you behind them... Rose goes over and give you a hand to get up.

 

 �" That was funny, gotta admit. �" She starts. �" Too bad it wasn’t me or else it would have been much better.

 

 �" Yeah, we’ll see about that. �" You give your characteristic smug, making you realize something. Are they..?

 

 �" Hey Edgar, think fast! �" Derick tosses yet another rock at you, but this time you were prepared, easily dodging it. What are you feeling right now..?

 

 �" Hey Edgar, what’s your favorite fast food? �" Bastion asks you.

 

 �" Easy. It’s Double Wag’s special sauce chicken sandwich with a side of fries, passion fruit juice and strawberry milkshake. Why you ask? �" You recite it in less than 10 seconds, making you wonder how you still remember all of this after all of these months trapped and limited to only having bread-from-the-day-before and water.

 

 �" Oh, nothing in particular. �" He, and everyone else adapt a satisfied face, like someone have just got the right answer in a hard test. Were they really doing what you think they were?

 

 �" Well, if that’s the case let’s do something. �" You readjust your posture to be similar to what it used to before speaking up. �" I’m feeling like going over to RetroMania, but I’m more broke than... Wait. �" You remember something. �" Derick, didn’t you had a date or something?

 

 �" About that... �" He starts. �" I told her I had some important stuff to go over, and she agreed with rescheduling it to later tonight. We’re going to Chiefinos, and none of you are invited. �" His usual face comes back. It’s almost as if he was hiding something... �" Until 20:00 you have me to stick with you, so better not waste it!

 

 Sure enough everyone agrees to go over to RetroMania. You don’t remember where your money was left, maybe stolen or held somewhere while you were imprisoned, but everyone shares a few caps with you to have fun. Before you can leave though a familiar figure sprouts from the woods, menacingly.

 

 �" So this is where you come to everytime you get out of school? �" Your father grins while walking towards you, making you flinch and bowing automatically. �" No need for that kid, I’m not here to smack you, not yet... I was just passing by and decided to pay you a quick visit. He looks around while whistling. �" You sure picked a quiet place haven’t you? No one disturbing you, no worries, just chilling with your buds. Ah, I remember when I used to do that with my friends. Those where the days...

 

 �" So, is that all for now Mr. Wildwest? �" Rose asks him while gesturing a quick bow. You forgot how polite she can be towards anyone with considerable power or status. He gives her a suspicious look while responding.

 

 �" Pretty much, but not just quite. Think fast kid. �" He throws something at you. It’s a small pouch with coins inside. You open it and count... 10 caps! It isn’t much, but why would he do that..? �" Don’t ask questions. And next time you scare your mother like that I’ll ground you for a whole week, literally.

 

 As he prepare to leave you go for a hug from behind. You didn’t even realized what you were doing, you just started and kept going. You father was having none of that though, since as soon as you approached him he sidestepped and made you trip and fall on your face.

 

 �" Nice try kid! But I’m not really into hugs, not from you at least. �" He says while laughing at how pathetic you look. You can’t help but laugh with him. �" That’s the spirit. Here. �" He kicks your a*s, sending you flying with his Power. You soon regain balance and fall on your feet, tripping and almost falling again.

 

 He then goes for a fist bump. You don’t remember your father being this nice to you, or at all, thanks to Cosack’s little shenanigans. It takes you a few seconds to process what he’s going for before you fist bump him, making you feel a bit proud for having such a cool father like him. He then leaves without saying another word.

 

 �" Can I borrow your father for the rest of the year? �" Derick asks while grinning. Bastion agrees with his head, making you blush a bit. Never before have you felt this way towards your father.

 

 �" I’m still impressed he found this place out. �" Rose points out.

 

 �" Well, he did figured out I was the responsible for dealing with Border and his gang, so... �" You let them know, making them flinch at your comment.

 

 �" Why didn’t you told me before! And how did he did that? We were using special masks and everything! �" Rose freaks out, but Natasha tries calming her down.

 

 �" I never know how he knows stuff, he just does. �" You shrug. �" And besides, I can trust any info on him. He isn’t like my mom who would cry all over me or like my sis who would use the info to blackmail me, so I really don’t care if he knows more than what he should.

 

 And with that everyone just decides to keep talking on their way to RetroMania. Once there you and the gang have fun like good old times, despite your terrible scores at all games they chose. Their disappointed looks shows that they were expecting more from you, but 5 months without really playing games made you quite rusty, so you just shrug it off. Rose eventually asks you something.

 

 �" Hey Edgar, mind if you come over to my place to have some fun? I’m throwing a sleepover, and I’d like you to be there.

 

 Evening kicks in and sure enough Derick leaves to get changed. Bastion gives him some advices on what to do and what not to, but is just pushed away. Since you had your fair share of fun you decide to call your mom to let her know you’ll spend the rest of the night in a sleepover in Rose’s house. Some of her other friends will be there, and she wanted you to go so she wouldn’t lose her mind with all the boring talking they would probably force her to go through. Bastion wasn’t invited for some reason, so he decides to go home.

 

 As you leave RetroMania a man appears in front of you. He seems oddly familiar, but you can’t remember exactly who he is until he pulls a knife from his pocket...

 

 �" So kid, remember me? I’m here after the dignity and freedom you took from me on that day, and you’ll pay for it with your blood! �" It’s that girl’s psycho uncle, Lucy if you recall. What is he doing here? Wasn’t he supposed to be in prison? And his knife sure looks sharp, but you know that the real danger is around you. He doesn’t give you any warning before leaping foward, aiming for your chest.

 

 Now, this is where you would usually just smack the knife out of his hand and knock him out cold. If you still was in one piece. Instead seeing him go for the kill makes you freeze on the spot out of pure fear. Seeing his knife makes you remember how you used to cut yourself again and again out of frustation and fear from everyone, and especially your father’s abusive behaviour towards you. Luckily Rose notices you aren’t moving and does the job of wrapping the man around her arms for you.

 

 �" Not so fast you psycho. Mess with my friends, mess with me! �" She says as she casually smacks him against the floor, making him drop his knife. Once you regain your composture you look deep in his eyes and walks over to him.

 

 �" I thought I have already taught you a lesson, but it seems you have trouble with learning. �" You grab him by his collar while readying a fist. �" So I’ll tell you just one more time. �" You then cover it with the mysterious orange, fire-like energy that you used against Fergus, making him sweat out of fear. Natasha and Rose take note of this thing in your hand, getting visibly nervous. �" Come back to me and I’ll give you a nice nose surgery, all for free, but far from painless.

 

 He, out of desperation, begs for forgiveness, saying that he’ll never do it again and yadda yadda. Sure enough you let him go and prepare to leave, but you should have seen it coming. He calls upon his Power and several sharp objects are sent flying towards you and even your friends. Rose didn’t knew he could do that and Natasha wasn’t ready to do anything, leaving them at his mercy. You think fast enough, jumping on them to avoid the incoming attack. It works, but it rags your shirt. D****t! You really liked this shirt...

 

 �" You son of a gun... �" You stand up and look over to him. You don’t try to sound menacing or anything. You just walk over to him and kick his face so hard he falls unconscious in the first blow, blood coming from his nose and mouth, making you anxious. Maybe you overdid it?

 

 �" I’ll... I’ll call the police. �" Natasha says with her phone already in hands. Rose controls her visible urge to stab him with one of the pointy projectiles he tried attacking you and her with. To make sure he would go straight to jail this time you sticked around until police came. You made your report, and several witnessess confirmed it, making the man, now know simply as Dick (properly named if someone asked you) have no time wasted in going to prison.

 

 After that ruckus Natasha makes sure she’ll be the one to buy you a new shirt. She sticks to your side, asking you questions like “Does it hurt?” or “Can I give it a little kiss? Maybe it’ll recover faster...”. On that last statement she let a cute giggle come out while hiding her face, especially her cheeks, for some reason. You ignore her, but let her stay close to you. It makes you feel... better, and she seems to enjoy every second of it, so why not?

 

 Eventually your paths crosses with Derick’s, who’s currently wearing a light brown suit with a darker tinted brown fedora, mafia style. You try to hold your laughter. You usually see him with his short, spiky brown hair with a combination of brown and green all across his simple sleeveless shirt and jeans bermudas, the exception being his dark red shoes.

 

 �" You sure like brown don’t you? No wonder you spend so much time in the woods. �" You mock him, but surprisingly he doesn’t lose his cool, instead adjusting his fedora and simply saying:

 

 �" I won’t let you ruin this night for me Edgar. She’s the girl of my life, and no pranks will separate me from her. Nice try though, you almost had me. �" As he looks over to you in a smug way a woman appears from behind him. She is wearing a red, rather tight, sleeveless dress, long white gloves with light grey details and a rose on her long red hair, serving as a pin to hold it together in an upward spiral. Too much red for your taste.

 

 �" Wasn’t you going to Chiefinos? �" You ask him, tangible disbelief in your voice. �" So what’s up with the outfit?

 

 �" You got that one right. I was going to Chiefinos, but Margaret over here felt like having something more fancy at the last minute due to the time. �" He explains while holding her arm with his own. Seeing him like this makes you feel uncomfortable and weird for some reason, like it was something wrong, which makes no sense. �" So we’re going over to Golden Flower.

 

 �" Wait, that one hella expensive restaurant at the far end of the city? �" Rose asks with some difficulty. You never heard of the place so you’re just as lost as Natasha. �" Where did you got money for that?

 

 �" You have your secrets, I have mine, we’re even. �" He shrugs her off while looking to Margaret. �" Besides, we’re going to be late, so excuse us. �" He adjusts his fedora again in a goodbye manner before leaving.

 

 �" Well, that was something I never thought I would see. �" You start to comment.

 

 �" What? Derick actually dating someone or him using something like that suit? �" Since he isn’t close she doesn’t bother holding her laughter, making you laugh too. Natasha just stares while snorting.

 

 �" Come on guys... We should be rooting for him, not this. �" She fakes a cough before grabbing you by your arm. �" And besides, we have our own affair tonight, and I don’t wanna be late for it. �" You decide to let her have her little moment, for now. Eventually she lets you go.

 

 With that you three go over to Rose’s house, a rather big apartment close to Wooden High School. It’s quite noisy during class periods, but since she never stays home it isn’t a problem. You can see some kids making out in dark alleys, but you decide to ignore them as you enter her apartment. The doorman greets you and you three go straight to the 6th floor, and once you enter her room you realize the mistake you made. It seems that Rose forgot to mention the girls-only aspect of this sleepover as 5 other girls in colored pajamas that matches their hair colors(probably artificial, but you can’t tell), all Rose’s friends it seems are inside and talking about random girly things while sitting on the couch or the floor. No wonder Rose wanted you to go and keep her distracted from their potentially boring a*s topics.

 

 �" Wonderful. I’m done with your requests. �" You give Rose a menacing glare, but she just shrugs you off.

 

 �" Well, there they are. Enjoy yourself. �" She tells you while going over to the bathroom so she can change into her pajamas. Natasha follows her with excitement in her steps. All the other girls stare at you.

 

 �" Who’s this boy? �" The one with red pajamas asks.

 

 �" I think he’s one of Rose’s friends. �" Another in green says.

 

 �" He looks cute. �" The one in blue mentions.

 

 �" Can we tease him to death? �" The one in purple asks with a rather sadistic face. Creepy.

 

 �" Rose will be the one to decide that. But yes, we can have some fun with him. �" A blonde wearing what seems to be gold - or rusty yellow, you don’t know - pajamas says. By the looks of it she’s the one in charge. Looks like you’ll have loads of fun here...

 



© 2019 Regular Sama


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

23 Views
Added on June 27, 2019
Last Updated on June 27, 2019


Author

Regular Sama
Regular Sama

Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil



About
Not much to talk about. Just a brazilian who likes games, chit-chatting, roleplaying to some degree and of course reading. more..

Writing