7th April 2012: First Entry

7th April 2012: First Entry

A Chapter by Aehr

                                                                                                                  7th April, 2012

Dearest Iris,

                        Hi, I’m Destiny. I mean, my name’s Destiny. Destiny Wood. I study in ninth grade. I mean, well... not really. I’ll be studying in 9th grade from tomorrow. I got you under weird circumstances… and… well… I’ll tell you how everything started.

                       A few days ago, I was just browsing through Mom’s cupboard, actually cleaning it. I was arranging her books and stuff, and was planning to give her a surprise when she got home. So, there was this huge pile of old classics like ‘Gone With The Wind’ and stuff by Charles Dickens and Thomas Hardy and Georgia Heyer. No wait… its Georgette Heyer. Yea, so it was quite a huge pile and I was just taking it out to dust the shelf when one of the books toppled, followed by another one, then another one, and eventually, the whole pile came crashing down the floor, with this huge cloud of dust, and me coughing like crazies.

                        So, when I bent down to pick the whole pile and rearrange it again, I was cursing myself for even thinking about cleaning up Mom’s cupboard. She was never very prim and proper. Ever. But she had been going on and on about cleaning the bookshelves, and today, I was bored and free, so I decided to make myself useful.

                        Browsing through the books, I found this old, tattered journal, which must have belonged to Mom, because there was her name written on the cover. Now, I know it’s not right to read someone else’s journal, but all I did was peek at the date. 14th February, 1989. Wow, Mom had kept this diary from so long! I closed the diary and kept it in the shelf. That little incident made me think a bit.

                        My English teacher, Mrs. Grey says that I have writing potential. She says that I should focus a bit on my writing, and she also told that to Mom, during the Parents-Teachers Meeting. She once told me to start writing a journal, but I didn’t have the time back then, and well… I forgot. That thought came to me again today. And I made up my mind: I was going to start writing a journal.

 

                         I didn’t tell Mom that I had a look at her diary. But it isn’t like I’ve committed a sin or something. Right? I’m a monotheist. It’ll be better if you know that. So, anyways, I went to my nearest stationary store, and I made my decision the moment my eyes fell on you. I mean, the guy/girl who designed your cover certainly has some sense of design. I mean, purple with blue is so awesome! You’re amazing girl!

                        So that’s pretty much how I got you. Now comes the time to name you. I’ll call you… iris. Yea, you’re Iris, my new friend. Suits your personality, you know. Now, here’s the BFF promise. Keep my secrets safe!!!:

 

So here’s to the gossip we talk

The secrets we keep in locks

The boys we stalk

The laughter we can’t stop

The gossip we spill

The look that would kill

We will always stay together

Because we’re best friends forever!

 

This is our BFF code, you know... me and my friends… we made this promise, four years ago. So I’ll tell you some things about me.

                          I live in Madison, Wisconsin. My Dad’s the General Manager of a hotel in Dubai, and I live here with my Mom and my sister Hope. My Mom’s doing a course on child psychology, and she’s working in a school for challenged kids. It’s not like my Mom and Dad are separated or something, but, when Dad shifted to Dubai for his job and stuff, he asked us to come along. But Mom couldn’t leave her work and her course back here, so she stayed back with us. I am very fortunate to have the world’s best gal-pals in the entire universe! Including you!

                          Today was exciting. Mom brought us new stationery for school, and new bags too. I talked to my friend Rose about tomorrow, and as usual, she brought up a topic which she ALWAYS brings up. Jacob. She always has to bring up Jacob  Dawson, one of my best peers.

                          Jacob and I have been friends since Kindergarten, even before I met Rose, or Claire, or Sophie. Now, a few weeks before school closed, there was a rumor about Jacob liking me. And... the rumors turned out to be true. That, I clarified with him myself. Another truth was, that I liked him back. A lot. But I didn’t want any complications in my life at that point of time. I wanted to live, and enjoy my teenage years, but wanted to be with him too. So, we promised we would start dating each other from 10th grade.

                                 It sounds stupid, crazy too, I know but it is like that. People think we’re in a relationship right now. That’s almost true. Because the way we walk, the way we talk… it just seems to be like that, but it isn’t. I mean, sometimes what’s true doesn’t seem to be true, but what’s not true seems to be true because in the eyes of others, the truth is not the truth, but what’s not the truth is the truth. Right?             

                                So, tomorrow’s my first day in ninth grade. I’m so excited!! And, well a bit scared too. I’m just hoping everything goes fine. It might turn out to be the best or the worst day of my life. I might make and impression, or maybe suffer humiliation (Hey, that rhymed!) *Sigh*.

                                Wish me luck! 

                                                                                           Forever and Always

                                                                                                         Destiny                                                               

                                                                                        


© 2012 Aehr


Author's Note

Aehr
my first chapter. This is the first book I'm determined to write. :)
Please leave a review by! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good start , lovely write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


this is so cute!!!!!! i love it!

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
Great first chapter, Rhea! I am personally not a huge fan of diary accounts, but you seem to have got yourself an exception:P This piece was absolutely amazing! You maintained a simple and believable English vocabulary that would suit an average teenage girl, but you also made sure that you made up for the simplicity by having an interesting story line. Keep writing!

(I do have some small personal comments on this one, but I'll hold my horses until you tell me it is ok to get a little critical:) )

Posted 11 Years Ago


HRM.. I wonder where you got this idea? =) Good read chick! I hope you got the idea from me, but if not, thats ok! I will have to keep reading, and you should add it to the books only group

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aehr

11 Years Ago

and yea, I'll add it to the group.
Belinda

11 Years Ago

Lord, you are braver than me. If I put my diary up here.. Gosh I think I would DIE!.
Aehr

11 Years Ago

As I said: WITH A LOT OF CHANGES :P
Brilliant start to the story ! Love the character names, the storytelling style and the setup. The personal style of story-writing helps in pulling the reader closer to the story. Good job !

Posted 11 Years Ago


I loved the BFF promise! As you write, along with you is this reader :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Wow.. What a first entry... Just like the first time that I started to write in my diary..
I like it.. Very interesting..
Continue with it!!
Forever and Always ;)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Anonymous Girl

11 Years Ago

Oh will read it :)
Aehr

11 Years Ago

thanks!
Anonymous Girl

11 Years Ago

No problemo ^^

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

545 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 21, 2012
Last Updated on October 21, 2012


Author

Aehr
Aehr

Aspiring for fearlessness



About
Trying to keep my words alive. Find me on Instagram: aehr_x more..

Writing
Broken Walls Broken Walls

A Poem by Aehr


Silver. Silver.

A Poem by Aehr


Swansong Swansong

A Poem by Aehr



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A City of Undead A City of Undead

A Screenplay by Forgotten