Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day

A Chapter by Lilith
"

Silver and Fiona playing pranks on Valentine's Day.

"

   7:30 A.M…  

    Fiona woke me up early with a grin.

    “Why?” I groan as I rub my eyes. Glancing at the calendar above my desk, I saw that it was Sunday.

    “It’s Valentine’s Day!” She bubbled.

    “Okay. Wake me up later.” I say and close my eyes even though she just flicked my ear.

    “It’s Valentine’s Day, as in let’s prank people!”

    “Are you sure you didn’t mix up Valentine’s Day and April Fools?”

    “Yes. What I mean is like throw water balloons with red and pink glitter in them to random people. Write fake love notes and shove them under doors. Fun stuff!”

    “Okay. You do that.” I say sleepily.

    “No, it has to be the two of us. We can be each other’s insurance.”

    “Sure.” I didn’t even move.

    Suddenly she was pouring coffee into my mouth. I gurgled but she snapped her hand over my mouth so I was forced to swallow.

    “Damn you.” I mutter, then get up.

    She turned away while I changed into my uniform skirt and blouse. Fiona left me just enough time to grab my blazer and tuck my hair into a ponytail before grabbing my hand and running down the hall.

    After taking a few turns, she stopped, and I realized we were near the school hotspot. There was always at least ten people here.

    “Alright, so last night I prepared.” She said and turned into a classroom. It was empty except for a couple of student desks and the teacher’s desk.

    Walking straight up to the teacher’s desk, she pulled open the bottom drawer and pulled out some water balloons.

    “Um, is that allowed?”

    “Sure as long as nobody finds out.” She said, closing the door with a swing of her hips.

    “Oh Lord.” I say and pick up three water balloons from her hand.

    “Come on. People walk down this hallway all the time.” She said, and we snaked around the school before stopping in a doorway, an empty and dark classroom behind us.

    “Somebody’s coming. I’ll take the first one.” She said, and then she shoved me behind the doorway so I was in a small corner before launching the water balloon. Then she turned and crouched in front of a cupboard, keeping her from sight.

    “What the hell?” A voice said, and I smothered my giggle when I recognized the deep tone. Mr. Aaron.

    Looking at Fiona, she raised her finger to her lips, then grinned.

    We waited until his footsteps retreated before laughing. “Oh Lord. That was good.” She wheezed.

    “What’s next?”

    “The gym.” She said evilly, and I smiled.

    We hid the water balloons in her side bag before sneaking off to the gym.

    “Under the bleachers.” She whispered before walking inside.

    “Hey guys! What’s up?” She greeted some random people.

    “Do we know you?” A boy asked.

    “Probably not. What are we playing next?”

    “Dodge ball.”

    “Shoot. I would play but I twisted my leg the other day. I’ll sit out.” She lied before dragging me to the bleachers.

    “Well played.” I say, and she grinned.

    “I’m the Queen of Deception. April Fool’s Day is my birthday.” She said before walking over to the underside of the bleachers.

    “Wait a few before following. We don’t want people to think we’re up to something.” She said, and then ducked out of sight.

    I waited five minutes, watching the dodge ball game, before following her. She had water balloons set out in rows.

    “Ready? I can hear one coming.” She said, and I moved away from the entrance before snagging a water balloon.

    “I’ll handle this one.” I say, and she grinned before hiding under the rows.

    I waited until I could see shoes and the leggings of pants. A boy. Knowing this was my chance, I chucked it at him before ducking out of the way.

    “What the…?” I heard an unfamiliar voice say, and then a sigh as he stooped down to look under the bleachers but couldn’t see Fiona and I.

    “Ugh. This is going to take forever to wash out.” He said, and then I heard him move away.

    “I feel strangely evil.” I say after a moment, and she grinned.

    “See what I mean? Valentine’s Day is fun!”

    11:21 A.M. (same day)…

    Later, we were stuffing notes under doors when we checked back in our own.

    “Whoah. What is all this stuff?” Fiona asked when we opened the door, almost stepping on thin boxes of chocolate, love letters, and roses.

    “Oh Lord.” I say, flipping through it and not recognizing any of the names. “Fiona, you seemed to have attracted several admirers.”

    “Seriously?” She asked and popped open the chocolate box before swallowing a piece of chocolate.

    “Yep. These all say ‘To Fiona’.” I say, and she scowled.

    “I blame my good looks.” She snagged the letters from my hand and began flipping through them. “Wait. You missed one.”

    “What do you mean?” I ask, stepping up and reading it upside down.

    “This says to Silver.” She said and held it to me. Slipping my finger nail under the tab, I unfolded and read it quickly.

    Dear Silver,

    I know you and I are just friends. And that’s the way I want it to say. Not that you’ve been telling me you want otherwise, I just want you to know that the ‘love letter’ you received is a fake.

    -Love

    David

    P.S. Thanks for the water gun for my Christmas present.

    “Sorry to disappoint, but this isn’t a love letter.” I say and wave it in front of her face.

    “Man. That sucks.” She said, reading it before offering me a chocolate.

    “Why does it suck?” I ask, reaching into her nightstand drawer before snagging a Dr. Pepper. Popping it open, I flopped onto her bed and took a long swig.

    “You know, Valentine’s Day. Love letters, cupid, mushy stuff…and yours just turns out to be a fake.”

    “Like all the love letters you stuffed under random people’s doors?”

    “Yeah, but we didn’t tell them it was fake. That’s taking the fun out of it. But he just outright told you in a letter, which proves he doesn’t like you.”

    “So?”

    “Are you sure you’re not a boy? You’re supposed to be a girl.”

    “I’m sure.” I smile.

    “Well, you know, we’re supposed to be daydreaming about hot guys and stuff.”

    “The only thing I daydream is of walking out of this conversation. Too awkward if you ask me.” I say, and she grinned.

    It was comfortably silent before she spoke again.

    “Did your mom ever talk to you about things like this? Boys and stuff?”

    “Nope. I didn’t care back then.” I think sadly.

    “Well, I hate to break it to you but since she’s not around to do so, you’re stuck with me.”
    “So, that means you’re going to call me your daughter?”

    “Only when we’re around people whose opinions matter to you.” She said, and I grinned.

    “Thanks.” I say softly after a moment.

    “No problem. What else am I for?”



© 2013 Lilith


Author's Note

Lilith
Review

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
Added on October 10, 2013
Last Updated on October 10, 2013
Tags: fiction, school, holiday, pranks


Author

Lilith
Lilith

Mobile, AL



About
I'm interesting. Very interesting. more..

Writing
Warren Warren

A Chapter by Lilith


Secrets Secrets

A Chapter by Lilith


Feral Feral

A Chapter by Lilith