Part II: Pretty In Pink Year -7

Part II: Pretty In Pink Year -7

A Chapter by Scorpious Alpha

Part II: Pretty In Pink 

Year -7 

September 11, 2001 

Dear Diary: 

     Wow, this year is already so much different than last year: I haven’t seen Francine since school started, Charlie’s gone, I don’t hang out with those other girls at that table anymore, and they put me in Pre-Algebra rather than General Math like I should have. I’m terrible at math, but they had some change where General Math was dropped and everybody had to take Pre Algebra instead to prepare for high school. The craziest thing happened today, we watched the news in school all day. Two planes knocked down the twin towers in New York and another in the Pentagon and another one crashed in a field somewhere. I don’t remember where though. Anyway, they think this Osama Bin Laden guy did it, so we’re probably going to war in Afghanistan. That’s crazy; I never thought I’d see something like this in my lifetime. Just goes to show, we’re still a petty species killing each other for no reason. Those poor innocent people though, I feel bad for them. They didn’t deserve that; I hope those terrorists get what’s coming to them. I cried when I saw it on television, it was so sad. Hopefully president Bush knows what he’s doing, or what he’s going to do. This is pretty scary, that our own country was so easily attacked. I guess nobody is really safe.  Anyways, there’s a dance this Saturday, it’s the annual back to school dance, except this year they’re asking us to donate to the relief fund, I only have a couple of dollars but I’m happy to help. I was thinking of asking Michael; after all he is my best friend. I’m a little nervous, but I’m confident he’ll say yes. Kurt is already going with Lois, so this shouldn’t be a problem. 

     The next day, Sandra goes up to Michael. “Good morning, Michael.” 

     “Good morning, Sandy.” He says. 

     “So, we’re going to the dance together, right?” 

     “Ahaha, no I’m going stag.” 

     “Um, what?” she says slightly disappointed. 

     “Yeah, don’t really feel like going with any one person. Leaves me open then.” 

     “Really?” 

     “Yeah, why?” 

     “I was hoping you’d… go… with… me.” Her voice trails. 

     “Nah, it’s alright.” 

     “Ok, fine.” Her voice breaks a little bit. She tries not to show how upset she is as Michael goes back to talking to Kurt and Jim. 

September 12, 2001 

Dear Diary: 

     Michael was a real jerk today. I thought for sure he’d take me. He’d rather go by himself. I really wanna go with someone, but it doesn’t look like that’s happening. Charlie was my date the last two years and I really don’t wanna go alone. Whatever, I’m still going, even if it’s just to help those poor people. Anyway, I joined this creative problem solving club at school. I’ve been a part of it the past two years and every year we go and compete against other schools. This year, we’re working on a skit to go with our technical problem. I hope we do better than third this year. I’ve gotten third the past two years, and if we get to second, we can go to the state level. And from there, we can go to the world championships; that would be so freaking cool. Anyways, got school tomorrow so good night. 

     The next day, while Sandra is eating lunch, a chubby boy with short, black hair approaches Sandra. “Hi Sandra.” 

     “Oh, hi Albert.” 

     “Listen, um… if you don’t have a date to the dance yet, I’ll go with you. I know it’s kind of short notice, but-“ 

     “No, no, it’s alright. Sure I’ll go with you, I always thought you were kinda cool.” 

     “Really?” 
     “Yeah.” 

     “Do you wanna go out, out? Like dating?” 

     “OH! Um, yeah, sure ok.” 

     “Rock on!” He sits next to her. 

     “Do you want to go the football game tonight?” 

     “I can’t, I have OM practice tonight.” 

     “Oh…” 

     “How about tomorrow’s game? Then on Saturday, we’ll go to the dance.” 

     “Oh, yeah; sure ok.” 

“Rock on, Albert.” 

     “So how are you?” 

     “Oh, I’m fine…” 

September 13, 2001 

Dear Diary: 

     So, Albert asked me out, totally wasn’t expecting that. Well, let’s give him a chance, see how it is. Wow, I’m so excited to have my first boyfriend. I didn’t think it would happen this quickly. This really is turning out to be quite the year. I can’t wait to see what the rest of the school year has in store for me. Practice stunk tonight because the brilliant idea for our skit was a talking taco. I feel like it’s really stupid, but they were adamant about it. Tricia is on my team and we don’t quite agree on everything. I have my first ever date tomorrow with Albert at the high school football game. I’m so super excited. I hope we last a really long time. Mrs. Sandra Simmons. Huh. Who knows? Anyway, time for bed. 

     The next evening, Sandra meets Albert at the stadium. “You made it!” 

     “I sure did!” 

     “Take my hand.” He extends his hand and they start walking around the track around the field. Albert gets her a soda and some funnel cake. “I’m having a nice time, how about you?” 

     “Yes I am, actually.” 

     “That’s good.” 

     “Looks like we’re losing.” 

     “What else is new?” 

     “Yeah, I suppose.” 

     “Do you wanna sit down? 
     “Sure.” They walk over to the bleachers and sit down. “Thanks for going out with me.” 

     “No problem, you seem nice so why not?” 

     “I think you’re nice too; and you rock.” 

     “That’s what I like about you too.” 

     “Oh my goodness, is that a fight going on down there?” She points to the track. 

     “It looks like it is.” 

     “Wow, look. They’re being removed by security.” 

     “You never know what’ll happen if you don’t try new things.” 

     “What do you mean?” 

     “If you hadn’t gone out with me tonight, you wouldn’t have seen a fight.” He laughs. 

     “I suppose.” The rest of the game goes on and they lose. 

     “Oh well, we suck.” 

     “Haha, yeah.” They get up and they leave. They’re about to separate. “I had a really great time tonight.” 

     “Me too.” He gives her a quick peck on the cheek. “See ya.” He walks away, and Sandra blushes as she heads home. 

September 14, 2001 

Dear Diary: 

     I had a really great time with Albert today. He was really nice the whole time and we just hung out. It was pretty nice, I enjoyed it. I’m glad I said yes, he’s been nothing but good to me. Tomorrow the dance should be fun, I can’t wait to go. There was a fight today at the game somewhere around the third quarter. I couldn’t tell who it was, we were towards the top. Anyway, I got a good night kiss, it was awesome. I’m so excited I don’t know if I’ll sleep tonight but I’ll have to if I wanna look good for tomorrow’s dance. I have a dress for the occasion. It’s nothing fancy, but it’s not something I’d wear to school. I’m not much of a ‘dress’ kind of girl, but I do like to feel girly when the occasion presents itself. Well, it’s time to get my beauty rest. Good night. 

     The next evening, Sandra is waiting at her house. “Where is he? He’s late.” 

     “I’m sure he’ll be here soon, bonita.” Sonia says. 

     “I certainly hope so, I don’t wanna get stood up.” Albert comes running towards her house. 

     “Sorry- I’m- late.” He says in between breaths. 

     “What happened?” 

     “My brother took too long in the bathroom, putting me behind schedule.” He catches his breath. 

     “Well, you’re here, so that’s what matters. Now let’s go.” 

     “Aye que lindo! Hold on, let me get a picture.” Sonia says. She runs and grabs her camera and shoots a couple of pictures. “Ok kids, now go, go.” They walk to the school. 

     “I was afraid you wouldn’t show up tonight.” 

     “I’m sorry.” He says. 

     “It’s ok.” They go in and dance for a little bit, then join Michael, Kurt and Lois. “So Michael, how’s going stag working out for you?” 

     “Not as well as I hoped.” He says. “Nobody wants to dance with a fatty like me.” 

     “Mmhmm, what’d I tell you?” 

     “Oh well.” 

     “That’s your answer for everything.” 

     “Oh well.” Sandra huffs. 

     “Come on, let’s dance a little more.” 

September 15, 2001 

Dear Diary: 

     The dance was amazing. He’s surprisingly light on his feet for a husky boy. Michael’s plan backfired on him and I think it’s hilarious. He totally regretted his decision when he found out nobody wanted to dance with him and I was his only chance and he blew it. Besides, Albert was wonderful tonight. I’m starting to really, really like him. I’m about to crash, I’m exhausted. 

September 20, 2001 

Dear Diary: 

     Today seriously was the worst day ever. Albert broke up with me today. He said it was cause I wasn’t paying enough attention to him, that I spent all my time talking to my friends instead. Whatever, to heck with him then, I don’t need him. Oh God, I miss him. Why did he have to break up with me? It’s only been a week. That’s so unfair. Everything was going so well. I literally cried when I read the note. He couldn’t even tell me in person. I can’t believe it’s over already. I feel like I didn’t have much of a chance. Is there something wrong with me? Why doesn’t he like me anymore? I feel like total crap right now. I don’t even feel like I did anything wrong to deserve this. Why? Why me? I don’t know if I can move on, it just hurts so bad. He was my first boyfriend and now he’s gone. Now I feel like nobody’s gonna want me. I don’t know how to be a good girlfriend apparently. This is so upsetting, like, literally all I wanna do is cry. I’m going to bed now and I hope I never wake back up. 

September 22, 2001 

Dear Diary: 

     Ok, so I just experienced something I hope I never have to experience ever again. I was completely awake during a seizure which never ever happened before, it was really, weird. My head went numb and it felt like a numb head band, my body did the push thing, and head snap but instead of passing out like I usually do, I saw my vision change from my head turning up, to the room straight forward, then it shifted up, snapped back into place, went up, snapped, and repeated. At the same time, every muscle in my body cramped up. I couldn’t breathe at all, and I tried screaming, but no sound came out. I tried so hard but it didn’t happen and then I finally passed out. I woke up to the EMT’s in our house putting me on a stretcher, and taking me to the hospital. I wound up hooked up to oxygen on the ride there. They ran some tests, and gave me a couple of pills. I just got home and had to write this down so I could never forget what it was like just in case it never happens again, which I hope it doesn’t. Now, I need to go to bed, I’m still feeling woozy. 

     The next week, Sandra is in the locker room changing from gym class when Christy walks by. “Ew, look at how f*****g fat you are.” She says. 

     “Leave me alone.” Christy, a short, skinny white girl with long black hair, grabs her clothes. 

     “Come get your clothes, piggy. Oink oink oink.” 

     “Stop!” Katarina and Maritza, a short, skinny, Hispanic girl show up. 

     “Aw, is little gordita gonna cry now?” Maritza says. 

     “Give me my clothes back!” Sandra yells. 

     “What are you gonna do about it, fatty?” Katarina says. Sandra lunges for her clothes, but Christy yanks it out of her reach. 

     “Jump for it, lardo.” Christy says, keeping it out of reach. She tosses the clothes into the garbage can. Sandra runs over to get them, only to be tripped by Christy. “Aaw, are you gonna cry now?” Sandra does start crying. “Get up.” Sandra slowly gets up. Her arms are grabbed by Maritza, and Katarina holds on to her hair while Christy wildly attacks Sandra, punching and slapping her. Sandra manages a kick to Christy’s leg. “Oh, that’s it, now you’re dead. Let go.” The girls let go and she grabs Sandra by the throat and holds on. She slaps her in the face and tosses her down. She gives her a couple of kicks, as do the other girls. 

     “What’s the matter, piggy can’t fight?” Katarina says. “See, I told you guys. Every time we fight her, she just takes it.” 

     “Si, she makes it too easy.” Maritza says. Sandra starts to get up. 

     “Oh, look at you, being brave.” Christy says. She grabs her by the head and slams her against the wall. She takes her clothes and throws them in the toilet. They leave the locker room. “Haha, pathetic.” 

September 25, 2001 

Dear Diary: 

     I got my butt kicked in the locker room today. I don’t know what they have against me. They make fun of my weight and say I’m ugly. They know I don’t fight back and I don’t really want to. For one, I don’t wanna get in trouble again and to tell you the truth, I don’t think I could ever take them, especially together. I had to wear my gym clothes for the rest of the day since they threw my regular clothes into the toilet. I haven’t gotten a chance to clean my gym clothes yet, so I probably stank to everybody. Ugh, it’s so embarrassing. I really really hate school. I can’t wait until I graduate. Just four more years. Ugh, I wish it was over already. I don’t see high school as being much different though. I seriously wanna tell someone but I know if I do, they’ll make it worse, and I don’t need that. I don’t get it, I’ve stopped telling on them and they still treat me badly. Maybe I’m just a piece of crap and deserve it. There’s no other reason it can be. 

     Several months later, Sandra and her team are at the competition and have just finished their skit. “I hope we did well.” Sandra says. 

     “I doubt it, that was terrible.” Tricia says. 

     “Oh, come on. It wasn’t that bad.” 

     “Not that bad? Didn’t you see the look on the judges’ faces?” She takes the cardboard prop from their skit and rips it in half. “That’s how I think we did.” 

     “We’ll just see during the results.” Hours later, they assemble into the gymnasium. As the judges read the results, only the same two schools achieve any kind of result, their school not being called at all. Everybody gets on the bus in disappointment. They stop at a fast food restaurant for dinner. 

     “Ha! What did I f*****g tell you?” 

     “It had to have been rigged. There’s no way only two schools are that good. I saw some of the judges wearing the wigs from one of the other schools’ skits.” 

     “Yeah, well, it’s over. We lost. Now shut the hell up.” 

     “I’m sorry, I just-“ 

     “I said to shut the hell up!” Tricia shoves Sandra. Sandra shoves back. They scratch and claw at each other until the teacher separates them. 

May 11, 2002 

Dear Diary: 

     Today was an utter disaster. Not only did our team not place, but nobody from our school did. I’m convinced it was rigged. Only two schools placed. I’m so super upset over this. Here I was hoping to do better this year but I did worse. I told them the talking taco was a bad idea. I’m so freakin upset by this. And then, to top it all off, I got into a fight with Tricia in the middle of the fast food place afterward. The teacher had to split us apart. As a result of our little scrap, we’re suspended from participating for a year. This really stinks, this is like the worst day ever. That’s it, I’m never joining a team ever again. I might just cry myself to sleep tonight. 

     That Monday, Sandra goes into school, depressed. “How are you, Sandy?” Michael asks. 

     “Terrible.” 

     “Why?” She recounts her competition day. “Wow, that’s s****y.” 

     “Yeah.” 

     “Come give me a hug.” She gives him a hug. She cries a little bit. “It’s ok, it’s ok.” 

     “Thanks, Michael.” 

     “No problem.” Lois walks up to them. 

     “What’s up, guys?” she asks. 

     “Had a bad day.” Sandra says. 

     “Aaahh… wanna break something?” 

     “That’s your solution to everything.” 

     “Haha, yeah it is.” 

     “Why?” 

Cause it helps me feel better.” 

“I’d rather hug it out or cry or something like that.” 

     “Whatever. Bell’s gonna ring soon.” 

     “Can’t believe this year is almost over already.” 

     “Yeah, man.” 

     “I’m doing… not as well as I usually do.” 

     “What do you mean?” 

     “I mean I’m averaging a ‘B’.” 

     “So?” 

     “I usually get ‘A’s.” 

     “Yeah, so? I’d be happy with a ‘B’ average. I see maybe two ‘B’s, one ‘A’ for gym, but all the major classes are ‘C’s” 

     “Yeah, but that’s you. I’m striving for perfection here.” 

     “Don’t be such a nerd.” 

     “I’m not a nerd… I just… I want my parents to be proud of me.” 

     “Personally, I could care less.” 

     “Yeah, it’s not a big deal, Sandra.” Michael says. 

     “Yeah well, it does to me.” Sandra says. 

     “Look, if you keep pushing yourself like this, you’re going to end up burning yourself out eventually.” 

     “I don’t care, I wanna be the best.” 

     “I think that’s too much work.” 

     “I don’t care either way.” Lois says. 

     “Well you should, school is important.” Sandra says. 

     “I don’t think so, I’m just here cause I have to be.” 

     “Don’t you wanna get in a good college some day?” 

     “Not really, like I said, I don’t care.” 

     “That’s so messed up.” 

     “Eh, it’s whatever.” The bell rings. Later on in wood shop, Sandra is putting the finishing touches on her project. 

     “Ok, now to get that cherry wood finish.” She says to herself. She gets up from her seat and goes to get the wood stain. When she returns, she sees Christy holding her project. 

     “Wow, look at how crappy this is.” Christy says. 

     “It’s not finished yet.” 

     “Measurements are wrong… It doesn’t fit right… It’s garbage.” 

     “I worked hard on that.” 

     “Haha, seriously?” 

     “Yeah.” 

     “But look at it, it’s all wrong.” 

     “I have trouble measuring and cutting, ok? My epilepsy messes me up.” 

     “I’ll say, it looks like a third grader built this.” 

     “Give it back.” 

     “You want it?” 

     “Yeah.” 

     “Catch.” She throws it away from Sandra and it smashes against the wall. “Oops.” Sandra cries. 

     “Haha, what a baby.” 

     “Stop! Why are you so mean to me?” 

     “I just hate you!” 

     “Christy!” the teacher says. “You’re getting written up for that, I saw that!” 

     “Happy now?” 

     “Kinda…” Sandra says quietly. 

     “F**k you, b***h.” 

     “Christy! That’s another four hours!” the teacher says. 

     “S**t.” 

     “Keep it up, that’s another hour.” 

     “Ugh!” she stomps away from her, frustrated. Sandra goes on rebuilding her structure. 

May 12, 2002 

Dear Diary: 

     Graduation is getting close, just another month and it’s over. That means I have a month to get my grades up. I don’t care what my friends say, I take school seriously. Sure, I may not be getting straight ‘A’s anymore, but I refuse to fail. I have yet to get a failing mark on a test or project or even a final grade and I intend to keep it that way. I’m going to continue to study and try my best to get good grades. ‘B’s aren’t bad, but I can do better. The finals are one fifth of my grade, so I’m going to do the best I can. Christy was a bee today in wood shop. She broke the project I worked so hard at, and she even made fun of it. Luckily for me, the teacher was watching and wrote her up for it. Justice was served, and it was nice. And then to top it off, she swore in front of him and made it worse for herself, it was great. Well, I got school tomorrow. 

     A month later, it’s the last day of school. “So, Michael, how did you do on your finals?” Sandra asks. 

     “Few ‘B’s, couple ‘C’s, but an ‘A’ in English and Reading of course. Lois?” he says. 

     “Straight ‘C’s, except for this ‘D’ I got in Science. Sandra?” Lois says. 

     “’A’ in English, Reading, and Science, ‘B’ in Social Studies, and ugh, a ‘C’ in Math.” Sandra says. 

     “At least you passed.” Michael says. 

     “I know, but I could’ve done better.” 

     “You’re too hard on yourself.” 

     “I think I’m not hard enough on myself.” 

     “You’re ridiculous.” 

     “Whatever, it’s not good enough.” 

     “You coming to the graduation party tonight?” 

     “Sure, who all is gonna be there?” 

     “Just the five of us.” 

     “Oh, ok, sure.” That evening, after graduation, Sandra goes to Michael’s house. 

     “Glad you made it. We got food.” 

     “Um…ok? Do you have anything else?” 

     “I just got this fun new board game, it’s for nerds like us.” 

     “Oh, cool!” she says as she recognizes the character on the box. 

     “Everything ok?” Michael’s dad asks. 

     “Yeah. Could you bring us some more soda?” Michael asks. 

     “Sure, son.” He leaves and returns with a few bottles of soda. “You nerds have fun, now. If you need me, I’ll be upstairs, and no hanky panky.” 

     “You don’t have to worry about that, dad. Like that’ll ever happen.” He laughs, and his dad goes upstairs mumbling to himself. 

     “What was that supposed to mean?” Sandra says. 

     “Oh, my dad’s under the impression that since I hang out with girls that things are gonna happen.” 

     “Oh.” 

     “Yeah, I love you guys, but not like that, you’re just friends, I can’t see you like that.” 

     “Same… same here…” 

     “Alright, let’s play.” 

June 5, 2002 

Dear Diary: 

     Well, today was the last day of school, thank God. I don’t have to see those bees for three months. Graduation was a little sad, we’re leaving the school we’ve been at for the past nine years. So crazy how time passes. One day you’re a little kid, next minute you’re on your way to high school. I’m kind of excited that I’ll be going to high school cause this means I get to learn a language. Obviously, I’m going to choose Spanish because of my family. Not only that, but German has like, a million letters for every word, so forget that. I already chose my classes for next year. In addition to Spanish, I took basic Language Arts, Algebra one, shop class, Biology, and American Government. I’m not too thrilled about my math or social studies classes, but it’s whatever. I went to a party at Michael’s after graduation. It’s weird, it was boring but fun at the same time. I don’t know how Michael feels about me, he says we’re just friends, but at the same time he flirts with me, it’s so weird. He’s nothing like Charlie, though. At least Charlie made his intentions clear. Oh, man I really miss Charlie, he and Michael are not the same. Granted, Michael is a really good friend, but he still pales in comparison. Charlie has been keeping his promise though. We talk every day on the computer, and it’s comforting to know he still cares, even far away. Ugh, every time I think about Charlie and him being gone, it gets me really upset and I start crying a little. I don’t know why, he just has this effect on me. I don’t know. It’s not as bad as when he left, but it’s still sad. Michael comforts me in the way Charlie used to, they both give really good hugs and help me feel better. Look, Michael is a good friend, maybe I should stop complaining. I guess I should be thankful I have a friend like him at all. At least he’s not like the other guys, at least not yet… Oh well, he and Lois are my best friends and I’m very glad I have them. So, now that I’m fourteen, I can legally get a job. I heard there’s some kind of youth summer program where they assign you to your school or something and help the janitors, which would be weird, I get to see the insides of the school, and get access to places in it that I normally wouldn’t be allowed in, like the teacher’s lounge. The job pays minimum wage, but it’s full time for the whole summer, so it’ll kinda be like having a regular full time job for awhile, so that’s neat. Wow, I can’t believe I’m finished with middle school and will be moving on to high school next year! I can’t believe I’m about to be a freshman. The transition from middle school to high school makes me feel a little bit more mature. Like, soon, people will be driving, and we’ll have more freedom cause we’re older. Only four years and I’ll be an adult which is gonna be neat, I’m looking forward to adulthood. I can do whatever I want, when I want, stay up late, whatever. And high school will bring me there, this is the final leg of my journey to adulthood, and I’m so excited! Finally, people won’t treat me like a kid anymore! I’m looking forward to people maturing, so hopefully those bees will leave me alone in high school. I know Christy said she’s gonna pick on me until we graduate, but I don’t think so. People grow out of being jerks as they mature so hopefully high school will be toilet free for me. Oh! I just remembered how relationship centric high school is, I wonder what boyfriends I might have. And then there’s prom, and all the other dances to look forward to. I’m so excited! High school, here comes Sandra Zircon! 

 

 

 

 

 

 



© 2019 Scorpious Alpha


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
Added on January 27, 2017
Last Updated on March 9, 2019


Author

Scorpious Alpha
Scorpious Alpha

Somewherein, PA



About
I'm a drama writer (who doesn't love drama?) I'm currently working on a series, Imperfect Perfection, have another two series, Parasitic Psychosis, and Unbalanced Electrical Storm finished. Hope you l.. more..

Writing