Is she nice?

Is she nice?

A Chapter by unspoken_vocabulary

“What was that?!”

“That is the destruction of our government, and life as we knew it” Anna seemed sad, but continued to explain the situation. “This unknown group, we think it’s a retaliation of the Soviet Union. After the US stole their tech, things went haywire. The economy fell, and the Soviet Union took over our government as a way of payback. Now they use cameras to watch everyone and make sure us nomads don’t ruin their little project.”

I looked at the floor, it looked humid and dirty, I kind of felt that way too. The story that Anna told me made me doubt everything. Was all of this true? Were we all really brainwashed? I turned to Anna and said something I didn’t expect to come out.

“You’re lying.”

She turned to me and opened her mouth to explain herself, but I cut her off immediately.

“You are a nomad. We were told you guys were dangerous, and that you would try to turn us against the government, because that’s what you all do.”

Anna looked at me with a face that made me feel disgusting about myself, but I know exactly what she is.

“I’m sorry Anna. I won’t tell anyone about you, but I’m out of here.” I walked away, not knowing where to go.

“You’re Isaac Sithes. Today is your birthday, happy birthday by the way. You turned 18 years old. You’re quiet, don’t have any friends. Your mom’s name is Genoveeve, your dad’s name was Mark, he died 4 years ago. You have a sister named Emma, she’s 15. You sleep with blue pants instead of the custom white. You rinse your toothbrush after you put paste on it. You crack your knuckles when you’re nervous. You-”

I took the file away from Anna. “What is this? Have you been watching me?”

“Not me. Them.” She pointed at the cameras.

           “Is all of this really true?” She looked at me in the eyes and replied with a sorry look,

           “Yes. You have to believe me!” I held my head high,

“Then you can’t expect me to learn all of this and not want to stop it. Maybe, if we tell everyone the truth we can convince them to fight. I learned in some old books that the people can overthrow the government, I believe it’s called a ‘revolution’” Anna thought about it, and rolled her green eyes. I can’t get used to the idea of me working with a nomad to overthrow the government, but hey, I’m 18, I’m an adult now.

“I have to go Anna. I’ll come out again tomorrow so we can plan more.”

“NO, are you crazy?! Do you know what they’ll do to us if you mess us? I’ll find you in 4 days. Do not look suspicious, or they sow our mouths and kill us” I felt frightened, but adrenaline was pumping through my veins. I didn’t care about the outcome of this, I really don’t have anything holding me back, except maybe Emma. If she knew, she’d be proud of me.

“Fine.” I waved goodbye and left.

The next day, I ran away. Who was I kidding? I can’t wait 4 days for Anna to find me, and how could I not look suspicious? Everything about me is weird. I ate cereal with my left hand instead of right this morning and my mom asked me if I was okay. I didn’t seem to notice before, but the cameras were EVERYWHERE. 3 in my kitchen, 2 in each bedroom, and 1 in the bathroom. I used to feel safe with them, because that’s what we were told they were for, but now they give me the creeps, so I ran. Of course I didn’t get far, the cameras told my mom my exact location and the officials found me.

The next day I tried again.  I told my mom I was going to go for a walk, she questioned me and searched my duffle bag. It was filled with extra clothes and protein bars.

“What’s all of this for?” asked my mom with a glare.

I swear, at moments like this is when I really regret not gaining her trust, but of course trust is the thing we never had.

“It’s for the walk, you know how Emma gets when she doesn’t take a snack. Besides, It looks like it will rain soon, and I don’t want to walk around in wet clothes”.

After 30 minutes of questioning looks and random changes of conversation, my mom let me out. I took Emma with me, to avoid my mom having officers spy on me. I told her the whole deal with the cameras, but she seemed more interested in the fact that I met a nomad.

“Woow, and this Anna girl, is she nice? I mean, where is she?”

“Yeah, she’s nice. Her eyes are green, and I really don’t know where she is” We kept walking. I didn’t plan on starting this revolution any soon, but if I really wanted to do this, it had to be now.

“Hey Emma, will you help me with something?”

“Yeah, sure. What is it?” I looked around me, we were downtown. People walked past me without even noticing cameras in every bench. Here in Asheville, North Carolina, we are all friendly.

“Hi mister, I just turned 18 a couple of days ago and I wanted to invite you to my late birthday party, I’ll be held in the Garrison Warehouse at 4, you can take anyone you want. See you there!” The old man smiled and thanked me for the invitation, I believe I have made his day.   

            “Okay Emma, do that with everyone you see. At least 40 people”

“Okay, but what are you going to do?”

“I’m going to find Anna.”



© 2015 unspoken_vocabulary


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
Added on June 7, 2015
Last Updated on June 7, 2015


Author

unspoken_vocabulary
unspoken_vocabulary

CA



About
Just a 16 year old girl from California. I've learned that the only way I can express myself is through writing, so here I am. I would love some feedback :) Instagram: unspoken_vocabulary more..

Writing