Nuke Off!

Nuke Off!

A Chapter by Ethan Paz
"

A very casual essay which informs you about the new U.S. policy concerning nuclear weapons.

"

Eve Denise Curie once said, "We discovered that peace at any price is no peace at all." After seeing news about not using nuclear weapons and ridding the world of nuclear weapons, have you made your decision if these statements are even possible? This short essay is to inform you what has been going on this past week concerning nuclear weapons. If you have not turned on the television this past week and magically did not see a newspaper this week, this essay will be perfect for you.

 

Question one: What is this nuke containment issue that I have been hearing about?

                This “nuke containment issue” is not an issue but mainly America’s new nuclear policy. America’s new policy is “ . . . to not use nuclear weapons against countries that do not have them.” In the Times News, in the article called Ukraine gives up nuke material as summit begins by Robert Burns, there’s a plan that shows it all, “The talks are a centerpiece of Obama’s broader agenda for ridding the world of nuclear weapons . . . .” This new nuclear policy as Obama declared, “The American people will be safer and the world will be more secure” as a result.

 

Question two: Wait a second, when did this all take place?

This past Monday, April 12, 2010, the U.S. held a national conference in Washington at the Nuclear Security Summit. Only nations that could attend the conference were those that have made a nuclear weapon. Those nations are the following: United States, Russia, the United Kingdom, France, China, India, Israel, Pakistan, North Korea, South Africa, and Iran. Iran and North Korea were unable to join the conference due to them being in the light of a national, nuclear concern. 

 

Question three: No nuclear weapons . . . why is that?

                Well, we have all seen the devastating effects of the atomic bomb at Hiroshima and Nagasaki in Japan. Instead of causing a Nuclear War and since the rates of having one are much higher than previous years, the U.S. is complying with all nations around the world to get rid of their nuclear weapons. The amazing fact is the U.S. and Russia, together, make up 90% of the world’s atomic weapons produced. Wiki Answers states, “The United States currently owns 9,600 nuclear weapons, while Russia currently owns 16,800. But Russia actually always had more nuclear weapons than the United States.”

                But there is another side to the story, Robert Burns says in his article, “. . . Obama’s counterterrorism chief pointedly warned that al-Qaida is vigorously pursuing material and expertise for a bomb.” The Times News, article called Obama takes non-nuclear pledge to world leaders, Steven R. Hurst and Anne Gearan state a quote from President Obama, “We know that organizations like al-Qaida are in the process of trying to secure nuclear weapons or other weapons of mass destruction, and would have no compunction at using them.” The only thing that is stopping al-Qaida from attaining a nuclear bomb is just time and many roadblocks which require either money or manpower.

 

Question four: So what is being done to Iran, North Korea, the Taliban, and the al-Qaida from them making a nuclear weapon?

 

This nuclear policy, hopefully, will solve the problem according to all the stress we have upon Iran, North Korea and many terrorist groups. Robert Burns says in his article, Summit endorses Obama goal on nuclear security, “In full accord on a global threat, world leaders Tuesday [April 13, 2010] endorsed President Barack Obama’s call for securing all nuclear materials around the globe within four years to keep them out of the grasp of terrorists.” Securing nuclear materials will be accomplished in 2014 but Robert Burns enlightens us right here, “Russia and the U.S. signed a deal to dispose of tons of weapons grade plutonium, although that won’t start for eight years.” In other words, the plan to cease nuclear weapon production will not be called to a hault until 2018.  Also, the global Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty is preventing the spread of nuclear weapons; however, this won’t prevent the cause of an accidental shipment of nuclear weapons. (Ex. U.S. accidentally shipped a nuclear weapon from North Dakota to Louisiana and from the U.S. to Taiwan.)

 

Question five: How will this U.S. nuclear policy be enforced?

                The answer has not yet been released. However, if the U.S. can’t know that Iran has a nuclear bomb, how can they take that bomb away from them? If the U.S. can’t do 1+1 than they can’t do 1+2.

 

                Eve Denise Curie once said, "We discovered that peace at any price is no peace at all." We all know that history repeats itself. Unless the world is fully united, there will never be no nuclear peace. I am very doubtful about this new nuclear policy, for I believe nations won’t follow through. However, we can all learn to respect another and to treat each other as ourselves. Remember the Golden Rule!

 

Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets (Matthew 7:12)

 

 

 



© 2010 Ethan Paz


Author's Note

Ethan Paz
Hope you enjoyed this. Hope you learned alot and I hope you know what you believe in concerning U.S. new foreign policy. Feel free to discuss.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I sit and think on this and think on this... only one thing comes to mind.

As a species, we have assured our own destruction as individuals. We separate ourselves with lines on maps, forgetting that we actually live on a sphere. Go far enough in any direction and you'll find home. We separate ourselves through religions, forgetting that peace starts at home, not half a world away. Peace shouldn't be a concept heaped upon a declination of semi-mystical numbers that can destroy the world a certain number of times, peace should be something that grows. Person to person regardless of what they've labeled themselves. Christian, Muslim... republican, democrat... black, white... all those ridiculous outdated theologies only serve to separate.
I heard a quote before, I changed it to what I felt lay at the truth of our existence.

"Forgiveness will never change the past, but it will change the future."

Posted 14 Years Ago


Coyote says it all. Most people who dabble in any type of politics are just the type who like playing with power. When will someone be there for the good of us all?

Posted 14 Years Ago


very good article and informative too. Most think things can happen overnight, but as you have just shown it will take up to 8 years for the changes to come about. I also think the U.S. is a far worse job and it is own worst enemy ( but that is just my opinion). I read a book once that talked about China being a far worse enemy than any other nation, but who knows. Besides what if the Mayans are correct, and things end in 2012- do we really care what happens in 2018 if we aren't here to see it. We could die tomorrow and whatever happens- happens!

Posted 14 Years Ago


I thought the focus was on nuclear policy, not on health care reform. Ethan, i'm glad you wrote this piece to inform those who don't watch the news, or refuse to watch it. But in my opinion, its better to try and do something, rather than not trying at all. It may or may not work, but at least its a try. Even if this policy do fail, at least we can tell our grandchildren that we tried, and that they can learn from the mistakes that we made, and learn from our egocentric ways.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Coyote is right and thank you for posting this. Peace through strength is my belief. I long for the days of Reagan!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Okay, I know I already reviewed, but yeah, he did, he toured the freaking nation trying to explain what was in the bill. All this president's trying to do is create a better healthcare system so that the middle class can handle better. Besides, why not tackle this nuclear issue if nuclear weapons are so dangerous to the world? Why not make amends so they hopefully won't be used? Why not clear up America as this arrogant nation? I just TRULY don't get it.

Posted 14 Years Ago


very true ang very good!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Nice work Ethan i like it.

Posted 14 Years Ago


NIce to dream. Once a bell is rung it is rung. The knowledge is there. No leader can stop the madman from their pursuits by drafting a piece of paper. It is ignorance of the madman that makes you believe. Coyote speaks true.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I'm on Coyote's side here, for instance, Obama promises much by the health care bill but there is much he hasn't told us. I am not going to name what the lies are but it simply isn't right. I am a Republican; you are a Democrat. You have your views; I have mine. Fighting won't make a better earth, but to enforce the new nuke policy is nearly impossible.

Posted 14 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1122 Views
12 Reviews
Added on April 16, 2010
Last Updated on August 23, 2010


Author

Ethan Paz
Ethan Paz

Iron River, MI



About
What's up I'm happy your here now reading my content. The content is organized in different sections for your convenience. Many of life's questions will be answered when you read my writings. So c.. more..

Writing
Hot Temper Hot Temper

A Poem by Ethan Paz