Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton

Dave looked ghastly and I was at a loss at what to do. When one of the elders brought a chair and guided Dave to it, I was relieved.

I held William, rocking him and rubbing his back, as Matthew gathered Mark and Jason, then came to tell me he was going to take them home for the night. He gave me a somber smile before telling me to bring Dave and William with me.

As Matthew walked away, a hand on each of the boys shoulders, I had a glimpse of him as he would be someday when he had his own sons. The vision made me smile, then I turned back to Dave. He sat and stared at Julie's grave, then dropped his face into his hands.

During a brief respite from the storm, we managed to get him into the passenger seat of his car. William, asleep on my shoulder, barely stirred as I settled him into his car seat and buckled him in. I slid under the steering wheel I remembered that I still needed the key.

“Dave, I need the key.” I spoke quietly, and for a moment I didn't think he heard me. Finally he reached into a pocket, fumbling for a moment, before handing them to me. I slid the key into the switch and started the car. From the corner of my eye, I saw Dave turn for a moment to look at William, then he ran a hand across his face and put his head back against the headrest. He closed his eyes and when his breathing changed, I knew he was asleep.

Dave slept all the way home. When we arrived, Matthew met me at the car and helped Dave inside while I got William.

Grandfather met me at the door and took William. His eyes took on that special light they always have when he is around children. Gently cradling the baby on his shoulder, he slowly made his way to his seat by the fire. Lowering himself unto the chair, he shifted William onto his lap, then reached down to lift his leg onto the footstool before covering them both with a blanket.

Outside the storm returned. Thunder boomed, shaking the house and rattling the windows. The lights flickered off and back on several times before going off and staying off. The dancing fire cast eerie shadows in the room and I thought back to the first time I saw it by firelight.

Mama brought us to the ranch after Daddy was killed and we had to leave the base. Our arrival coincided a thunderstorm and power outage. On that long ago day, Grandfather met us at the door. He took Mattie from Mama's arms and carried him in to the fire, in much the same way he had William.

For a moment I was that seven year old again and my fears and uncertainties returned. The darkened room hid creatures that the flickering firelight revealed. The polished brass lamp caught the light and twinkled like the eyes of some unknown monster. I shuddered at the memory and remembered screaming when a hand seemed to appear from nowhere to drop on my shoulder.

That night reoccurred, in various forms, in my dreams for a long time afterwards. In those dreams my Grandmother's arms, that reached to comfort me, became the long thin arms of a apparition. My Grandfather's approach was that of a slow and shuffling creature. In those dreams I was running a endless run. My fear always chasing me while I hunted for our father.

Matthew's soft step pulled me to the present. He stopped when he reached me and stood watching Grandfather for a minute before pulling me out into the storm. I've never understood his love of violent storms, but he adores them. When we reached a sheltered area on the porch where he could watch the storm, we sat down.

I know it is silly, but sometimes I feel like he is older than I am. That night, as I sat with him while he watched the lightening flashing across the sky, I remembered finding him in the middle of a field when he was ten. Scared Mama to death when she found out that he was out there, the highest point in the area.

“Julie was right. Dave needs you Susan.” As he spoke he reached to tug a lock of hair, I was twirling around my finger, from my hand. “You'll go bald if you don't stop doing that”.

Still worrying about my promise, I nodded, and started working on another section, but then stopped,at his look of exasperation, and sighed. “I just don't know what to do Mattie. How am I suppose to keep my promise? How do I even approach Dave?”

“You let nature take it's course Banúil1.”

Mattie jumped, then looked guilty, as Grandfather shuffled to where we sat.

“You love those children don't you?” I nodded “You care about their Father?” Once again I nodded. “Then just be yourself Banúil and let nature take it's course. Be there when he needs you child, show his children the love you feel for them and let God handle the rest.”

With that he leaned down and kissed me, then turned and went back into the house. Mattie squirmed, and looked unbelievable guilty.
“You have a big mouth Mattie”. He grinned and dropped his head. “I wouldn't have No'hta'wiy's2 advice if you hadn't blabbed. Thanks." Never good at taking a compliment, he blushed and nodded, then got up and walked out to the barn.

After he left I thought about what No'hta'wiy said. He was wise. If he thought I should just be me then surely he was right. A sudden boom announced the return of the storm and I looked up just in time to see lightening strike a lone tree on the distant horizon. The long fiery streak traveled from the crown of the tree to the ground. Shivering in dread I watched as the bright orange flames were soon extinguished by the rain. Only the smoke rising from the chared surface of the tree left any indication of the presence of the fire.

Driven back in side by the force of the storm, I was greeted by the William's wails. No'hta'wry's soft voice reached me and I listened as he tryed to sooth the baby's cries.

***



"But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, do not despair, for these things will surely come to pass. Just be patient! They will not be overdue a single day!" (Habakkuk 2:3 LB).

2)
No'hta'wiy actually means father, but here it is being used as grandfather. With the blending of families and nationalities many times words are substituted for others in later generations. This is the case here.


© 2011 Norma M Sutton


Author's Note

Norma M Sutton
Just the first writing of this chapter. I'm brainstorming at this point.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I must say that this story hurries along while grasping your attention and pulling at your heart all at the same time....and now to continue :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


I believe 'crys' is spelled 'cries.' Nicely done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Driven back in side by the force of the storm, I was greeted by the William's whals. (wails)

I like to watch thunderstorms, too...from the porch.


Posted 13 Years Ago


I like the pace of this story. This type of story need to be slow and the description understood. The chapter was very sad. I will read on.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

453 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 2, 2010
Last Updated on January 30, 2011


Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


One One

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton


Five Five

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton


Six Six

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton