Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Eleven

Eleven

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton

I looked at the scene before me. The sun was high in the sky, a warm wind was stirring the high grasses in the fields surrounding us and the boy's faces were flushed with happiness. Dave stood with his back to us at the grill, glancing back to check on the boys periodically.

The picnic was a joyous occasion. Somehow the tomato William was so proud of, was split five ways. As I looked across the table at the boys and watched them break bread into bite sized pieces, topped with tiny slices of tomato I was reminding of the miracle of the feeding of the fish and loaves. Eating this meal with Dave and the boys felt like a miracle in it's own right. I don't know why it felt that way, but it did; even when the bottle of milk was knocked over, soaking everything and everyone

It was a afternoon of small catastrophes, but that just made the memories more special. Sometime later that day the whispered echo's of Julie's laughter rang out in my mind. The healthy happy laughs from before her illness. Mark paused and seemed to listen. For a moment I wondered if he could hear her too. Then the wind started, gently at first, winding down and around us. It lifted my hair off my neck and back cooling me. I watched as the boys stood and ran to meet the incoming breeze, then the rain hit and the joyful laughter turned into startled squeals of glee. This was a gentle drizzle, a safe storm , not one of thunder and lightening. I helped put the food away then sat and watched the children running, arms outstretched, chasing raindrops.

With trepidation, I snuck a look at Dave. He had knelt and was squatting, back against the truck, a blade of grass between his teeth. For the first time in a long time the stress lines in his face were gone. There was a glint in his eyes and a smile on his face as he watched his boys playing in the rain. I again heard Julie's joyful laughter followed by a feeling of peace and well being.

Feeling my eyes on him, even though I was trying not to look directly at him, Dave turned and caught my furtive attempt to look away. Self-conscious at being caught I could feel waves of heat as the rising blood caressed my body. Still, I pretended I was watching the boys. When Dave rose and started walking towards me I had the sudden urge to run. Not just to run, to flee in terror. To escape something bigger then anything I knew and it was that terror that locked me to the spot I was standing.

Struggling to stand on shaky legs, I fought to regain my composure. But it was for naught when I tripped over my own feet and fell until strong hands caught and steadied me. My plight was sealed when I looked up. Blue eyes trapped me, the shrill voices faded into the background and time suddenly stood still. I was so stunned with emotion that I couldn't think, couldn't observe, couldn't speculate on anything but what I was feeling and I didn't know what that was. When his hand reached to brush my cheek I was torn between heart stopping fear and yearning. It was a feather light touch that only lasted a instant before little hands tugged me back to reality. Dragging us both out into the cool cleansing rain.

The boys voices on the ride home only punctuated our silence. I was glad for the noise. I wasn't sure what I would have said otherwise. When we reached home, the boys climbed out to tell me bye. Hugs and kisses were interrupted with pats from sticky hands and excited voiced. Eventually Dave called everyone back into the truck and closed the dual doors behind them. Hesitantly he approached me, then, in a swiftness belied by his size, leaned and brushed my forehead with his lips before he bolted to back to the truck. Dumbstruck I watched as he pulled away. Mattie found me standing with my mouth hanging, teasing me unmercifully until out of desperation I went inside and locked myself in the bathroom until bedtime.


© 2010 Norma M Sutton


Author's Note

Norma M Sutton
Still in the first write for this story. I know there are a lot of problems with this, but at least I found the bridge across that block. Suggestions and comments welcomed.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very emotional chapter. Your storytelling skill are working. Setting up each situation and create a good vision. Thank you for a excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


I couldn't find many mistakes. I loved the scene between Susan and Dave. It seems like he feels the same about her.

Posted 13 Years Ago


i've enjoyed reading this book thus far and look forward to reading more
of it when you post :)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

432 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 19, 2010
Last Updated on July 19, 2010


Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


untitled untitled

A Story by Dupree