Five

Five

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton


From a great distance alarmed voices called my name. Something cold and wet touched my face, strong arms surrounded me and I was lifted, then the darkness called me away again.

Much later when I regained consciousness, the sun was high in the sky. For a moment I couldn't remember where I was or how I got there. Stretching myself awake I felt the mattress give as Jason climbed on the bed, small hands cupped together, he scooted up to me. "What do you have?" His big blue eyes looked from his hands to my face, he smiled and then opened his hands to show me a granddaddy longlegs.

My shriek brought Mattie to the door just in time to see me falling out of the bed. His worried look changed when he saw my prediciment. Tilting his head back he let out a loud guffaw before coming into the room to capture the now loose spider. Glaring at him I struggled to extract myself from the tangled covers only to find myself in a worse situation. I gave a impatient tug at the confining sheets, tumbling Jason off the bed on top of me. His shrill giggles brought Dave to the door. Embarrassed beyond belief I suddenly longed to crawl under the bed.

Dave's fear ridden face creased into a amused smile. "I see you've met Henry."

"Henry? Who is Henry?"

Jason rushed to Mattie and took the granddaddy long legs from his hands, then turned and headed back to me. I was frantically trying to untangle my legs so I could stand and run when Dave reached down to pick him up.

"Jason just tell Susan about Henry. She doesn't want to see him." Dave gave me a apologetic smile. "Julie always called me to empty his pockets on wash day because she never knew what she might find in them." His recollection bathed his face in happiness for a brief moment, then the sadness returned and he turned to leave the room.

***

With a startled jolt I remembered Julie telling me about finding a ground snake in Jason's pocket once. From then on she called Dave to empty his pockets. Susan was afraid of snakes, her fear of them possibly outshining my own fear of spiders, and even though she laughed about the incidence when she told me about it I could tell that it had terrified her.

When I made my promise to Julie I forgot about her middle child's fascination with all things that creep and crawl. "Oh MY, being his Mom is going to be interesting." I whispered.

***

Dave slowed and turned to look back at me. I wondered if he heard my whisper, then he shook his head, and left the room taking Jason, spider and all, with him.

Still struggling to free myself from the bed linens, Mattie finally came over to help me up. Holding his hands out for me to grab hold to he grinned. "Yep, I'd say being Jason's Mom is definitely going to be interesting. You do know he had a snake in his pocket too don't you?" Seeing my shudder, his grin broadened into a goofy smile.

Leaving me to shower and change, Mattie left the room whistling. I shuddered and then laughed as I recognized the tune, Itsy Bitsy Spider.





Ruth 3:3 Wash thyself therefore, and anoint thee, and put thy raiment upon thee, and get thee down to the floor: but make not thyself known unto the man, until he shall have done eating and drinking.



© 2017 Norma M Sutton


Author's Note

Norma M Sutton
This is a first write. I'm just wondering how it comes across.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

It is still coming across very well, although a few minor changes need to be made as related from other reviewers, it still doesn't take away from the story....this is probably one of the strongest stories I have read in a long time....

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think you go confused. I thought Julie is the boys mother and Susan was her friend that she made promise to take care of them and Dave. Good job. Commotion at its best. Again, I don't think you need the separators.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Norma M Sutton

6 Years Ago

Thank you M. I did use the wrong name there :)
too cute spiders and all :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


A very good chapter. Simple thing can make the big things seem smaller. A powerful chapter. I like the whole chapter. Ending was outstanding.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

400 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 2, 2010
Last Updated on August 3, 2017


Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Six Six

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton


One One

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton