Ten

Ten

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton
"

Partial chapter

"
Church was a interesting affair. The preacher took his message from Proverbs 17:22, 1 Thessalonians 5: 16-17, Matthew 6:16-18, and Isiah 61: 3-10. He ended by saying, "We may alter our dispositions and moods by a resolute action of the will. We can refuse to look miserable, to speak mournfully, to be pessimistic, to pass on depression. In a spirit of unselfishness we can put on a cheerful courage, array ourselves in the garments of joy, anoint ourselves with the spirit of praise and thankfulness, and go forth into the world to shed sunbeams rather than shadows on the path of life. Do not nurse your sorrow of heart, lest your spirit and the spirits of others be broken. We can promote a cheerful heart by dwelling on the bright things of our lot; by counting up the mercies which are left, rather than dwelling on what we have lost."

After service, as I was leaving the building, my skirt caught on something. Reaching back to free it I encountered a soft, moist hand. Startled I turned and was greeted with the sight of William, grubby fist in his mouth. Pulling his hand from his mouth he wrapped his arms around my legs, hiding his face against me, and started talking about his tomato and the picnic. Something inside me went all soft and tender. The soft reddish blond curls swirled as the wind from the open door tousled them.

I was taken a back when Jason and Mark converged on me and grabbed me from a different direction; Mark's arms crossing my middrift while Jason wrapped his around my hips. I looked down on the three boys, each a different height, each carrying that reddish blond/brown hair in different shades, and felt surrounded by love. Looking up from those three heads I came eye to eye with Dave.

Awash with sudden self consciousness, the noises of the church faded away. In the ensuing silence time seemed to stand still. Dave was looking at me with a twinkle in his eyes. Abruptly that silence was drowned out by the roaring sound of heartbeats as the blood rushed to my face. Absurdly I wondered if the red of my face was clashing with my orange blouse. When our eyes met, Dave's face became the same hue of red as his shirt.

The awkward silence came to a end when Jason tugged on my hand. "Miss Susie can I ride with you?"

A chorus of me too's followed. Wondering what they were talking about I looked at Dave. Before I could ask he answered my puzzled look.

"The cookout I called about last night, the boys want you to come." he paused, then looked doleful. "You didn't hear all of that call did you." I shook my head. Dave turned to the boys, "Remember how the phone broke when you pulled it out of my hands last night?" he asked, "Miss Susan didn't know we were asking her to the cookout" he told them. She may not be able to come." At the last remark he glanced back at me and gave me a mischievous smile.

The clammering that followed left me feeling tossed and turned as the boys surrounded me with their pleas. Each one trying to be a little louder then the last.

Covering my ears I met Dave's laughing eyes with a glare. Looking back down into those three pleading faces I nodded and had to cover my ears yet again to muffle their joyful shouts.



© 2010 Norma M Sutton


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I had to re-read the complete story. Old mind is getting old. I like the storyline and the people in the story. Remind me of Shute's story. I like the detail of each situation you bring out in this story. A entertaining chapter this one. Thank you for the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


A little loud for church, but I think this is my favorite chapter so far.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

360 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 26, 2010
Last Updated on April 28, 2010


Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing