The Challenge of Love Chapter 18

The Challenge of Love Chapter 18

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton

The day was permeated with an odd combination of dread and excited expectation, over what I didn't know, but by lunchtime I was a nervous wreck.  This looking over my shoulder and jumping at each out of place sound was tiring.

If Mattie's silly dog goosed me one more time I thought I would scream.  I missed the boys dreadfully and that dog reminded me of them.  I caught myself watching the drive hoping to see Dave's truck, but knowing that wasn't going to happen.  By now he would be on his way to a base somewhere and the boys would be situated with his parents 500 miles away.

Sighing I went to storage to gather up the winter clothing.  Some needed mending and all needed cleaning to get the musty smell out of them.  I was so caught up in my sorting that I didn't pay much attention to crunching of gravel on the drive.  It wasn't until I heard the shrill squealing voices that I was once again aware of my surroundings and before I could set my thoughts into place three sets of arms were around my waist and I was pushed and pulled in all directions.  Until I lost my balance and sat down on the floor.

Now that I was on their level they swarmed over me.  Sticky fingers patted my face and got stuck in my hair.  Hot lips kissed my cheeks and for a moment I was lost in a sea of senses.  I closed my eyes to stop the tears so it was with closed eyes I took it all in.  

"You're going to be our mommie."  William's soft voice in my ear made me open my eyes.  

"What?"  Puzzled I looked at each of the boys.  

"You're going to be our mom." This time it was Jason's voice.

"Please be our momma."  Mark this time.

What on earth was going on and why were the boys here?  Most importantly WHY did they thing I was going to be their mom!  One by one I met their eyes.  Williams were dancing, Mark's were laughing and Jason's looked cautiously hopeful.  Then Dave's voice called them out of the room. His voice sounded worried.  

Before I could get to my feet the dog came sliding into the room.  His happy tail hit me in the face.  What a beating!  Then before I could push him away or Mattie could pull him away, he and the boys took off out the door.  The screen slammed hard enough to pull the top hinge loose, a once common occurrence, that hadn't happened since Mattie and I outgrew doing the same thing.  No'hta'wiy walked to the door to pull it too, then went to get his tools.

My mind was brought from my memories when Dave stepped into the room in uniform.  He looked worried, seriously worried.  His eyes looked everywhere but at me and his hand worried the edges of his folded his hat.  What on earth was wrong.

From the corner of my eye I noticed grandfather listening by the door.  His face had a strange knowing look on it.  That look worried me.

Dave shifted his feet and cleared his throat,  that brought my attention back to him.  What on earth was going on?



© 2011 Norma M Sutton


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

389 Views
Added on October 2, 2011
Last Updated on October 2, 2011


Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing