Three

Three

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton

The heart wrenching sound drew me across the room.  When I reached them and spoke, William twisted around hands raised up to me.  Lifting him into my arms, I kissed his salty, tear stained face and felt my throat catch when he wrapped his arms around my neck in a death grip.  Holding his trembling body close, I pulled a chair near the fire and sat down. 

Leaning back in the rocker, I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and set the chair to motion.  While I rocked, I let my mind return to the day's events.  When William's grip loosened, I shifted him into a more secure position, then resumed rocking. 

The crackling of the fire and the pattering of the rain lulled me into a state of semi-sleep.  It wasn't until No'hta'wiy stirred, then stopped to wrap his throw over us, that I realized night had fallen.  I moved to get up, but William whimpered and his grip tightened.  Again feeling the stress of the day I sighed and settled back into the chair, pulling the blanket up to cover William when I felt him shiver.  Grandfather slid his stool over to my chair and tucked a pillow behind my head, then I felt his cool, dry lips brush my forehead, then he left for bed.
   
Watching as he shuffled from the room, I was once again impressed by him.  In spite of the awkward gait he carried himself with great dignity, back erect, shoulders straight and square.  I have never heard a complaint or a cross word from my Grandfather, not even when Mattie and I left without telling anyone where we were going or when we would be back.
   
As I sat in the dark listening to the house settling around me, the loss of my friend sunk in.  Loneliness and grief settled over me.  Pulling William closer, I gave into tears and finally fell into a exhausted sleep. 
   
Sometime during the night I woke from the shadow of almost there dreams.  The dull aching of my head and the warmth of the baby in my arms brought forth conflicting emotions of grief and contentment. 
   
I took a deep breath, then wrinkled my nose and wondered where I left the diaper bag.  With a grimace I remembered that it was still in the car.  Regretfully I put William in his cradle, then went to the car to retrieve the diaper bag.
***   
Outside the wind was blowing, but the rain had stopped.  In the distance an ominous cloud hung over the horizon.  Streaks of  smoky pink lighting crossed the night sky. Overhead, the moon peaked through the rushing clouds and reflected on the parked vehicles making a light unnecessary. 
   
The air smelled singed but the earth smelled freshly washed.  The blowing wind and damp soil muffled the sound of my steps.  As I  watched an electrical storm contained in one cloud and listened for a boom thunder that never came.  Some flashes were indistinct, some the jagged edges of lighting bolts.  Shuddering  at the unnatural quite, I returned to the warm comfort of the fire.
***
The warmth of the room only magnified the ripeness of the baby's diaper.  Lifting the sleeping baby from his cradle and moving carefully so as not to disturb his slumber, I carried him to a convenient spot for changing. Silently, I wondered how a child so sweet could smell so bad. 
   
Taking a deep breath and holding it I carefully unfastened the diaper and pulled it away from him, then quickly moved to stop the stream of urine that arose nearly hitting me in the face, then  passed over my shoulder instead as I ducked out of the way.
   
Hearing a muffled chuckle I turned. Dave stepped from the shadowy hallway with a tired smile on his face.   I must look a sight, wrinkled with sleep, one hand carefully holding the dirty diaper away from me.  Turning back to William I hoped he couldn't see the warm flush I could feel rising into my face.
***
Ruth 2:7  And she said, I pray you, let me glean and gather after the reapers among the sheaves: so she came, and hath continued even from the morning until now, that she tarried a little in the house.


© 2010 Norma M Sutton


Author's Note

Norma M Sutton
This is the first write of this chapter. There will be changes as the story progresses.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The chapter was very good. I had to read a few times. I like the story. A lot of lessons can be learn from real life and our experiences. I like the feel of real life and the interesting characters. A excellent chapter. Thank you.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


Excellent use of imagery....

Posted 13 Years Ago


I suggest again to indent. It makes it easier to read. Good job on this chapter. You really get the visuals and smells.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

420 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 2, 2010
Last Updated on April 2, 2010


Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Seven Seven

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton


Naked Naked

A Poem by Linear


Heart in Hand Heart in Hand

A Poem by OT