Chapter III: Doubts

Chapter III: Doubts

A Chapter by Ashleigh
"

Fawna is met with scorn and ridicule in her new home.

"

                Sunlight streamed through the weak, tattered old curtains of the tiny farmhouse, but Fawna remained fast asleep. It wasn't until she felt wet kisses on her cheek that she roused from her slumber, giggling. "Greg, cut it out. I don't need to be up for another six hours..." she mumbled sleepily, reaching out to playfully bat him away, but to her surprise met fur instead of skin. Snapping her eyes open, she came face to face with a happy pooch, gleefully wagging his tail and licking her face.

                "Woof woof!" Disgusted, Fawna shoved the dog off the bed and jumped out from under the covers, wiping her now slimy face. "GROSS! I HATE DOGS!" she screeched. She grabbed the puppy by the scruff of his neck and threw him outside, with her nose wrinkled. "Stay out there, you smelly mutt!" she said, closing the door in the poor puppy's face and taking out her clothes for the day.

                Her only choices were a white tank top, a pair of designer denim jeans with embroidery and strappy sandals. She frowned, thinking hard. It would be impossible to do anything productive in this hick village in those clothes. She'd have to do some quick-thinking. "Well, I'm not about to look like a country bumpkin, either!" she sniffed loftily, crossing her arms. "If I'm going to farm, I may as well do it in style," she reasoned with herself. Tearing the jeans to create short denim shorts that were artfully frayed at the end, she tried them on and looked at herself in the reflection of the window glass, smiling; work-worthy and quite attractive. She put on her tank-top and started looking around for something to alter it with. She came across an old plaid farmer's shirt that the old man had left and put that on over top, tying it in a knot at the front. The sandals were hopeless. Luckily, the man had left a pair of his work boots that almost reached to Fawna's knees. Tying her long black, slightly curled hair back with a blue bandana, Fawna looked like one very attractive farmer.

                What am I supposed to do now? she wondered to herself. Well, first of all she would have to get used to the dog. She'd call him Mutt. Figuring that she would probably get some advice from the other people in Serenity Falls, Fawna headed out the door with the map the old couple had left.

                As she walked down the main little road, people gave her strange stares and laughed at her with their friends. Who was this clueless city slicker trying to act like a local? Fawna smiled nonetheless and waved, batting her eyelashes at every young man she passed who all seemed to be quite interested in her. If only Greg could see her now! She stopped a tanned young man with a purple bandana. "Excuse me, but I'm the new owner of the farm here and I need to know how to get some seeds and animals," she said sweetly. The man began to laugh, but quickly stifled it.

                "You? No offense, but you don't seem like the farming type? Is that a new manicure on your hands?" he asked sceptically, nodding at her slender, moisturized hands. Fawna pouted attractively and put her hands on her hips.

                "Are you going to help me or not?" she asked in a whiny voice. The man laughed and nodded.

                "Sure. You're standing in front of the Farmer's Shop," he told her. "The name's Kai by the way. You are?" he asked. Fawna giggled and blushed purposely. Being Greg's obedient little lapdog for so long had given her lots of practise.

                "Oh how silly of me. I'm Fawna. Thank you so much Kai. You have a lovely name by the way," she flirted, not really intending to go anywhere with it. Flirting was her way of making herself feel better after being heartbroken and thrown out on the street like a piece of trash. Kai however, seemed VERY interested in Fawna.

                "No problem. Call me sometime. I'm here every summer," he told her with a wink before heading off in the opposite direction, whistling to himself. Her mind already off of Kai, Fawna walked into the shop which smelled strongly of livestock. Fawna wrinkled her nose and sneezed. How did people live in this stench? A middle-aged man in overalls and a straw hat appeared, chewing on a toothpick. He too, seemed to enjoy having such an attractive newcomer in his shop.

                "Hey there, pretty lady. What c'n I do fer ya today, hm?" he asked, leaning on the counter. Purposely blushing again, Fawna walked up to him and pointed to a shelf of seeds.

                "I'll take whatever seeds you have... and how much is a, oh let's start with something small shall we? A chicken? I'm the new owner of the farm here," she said with a flirty smile. The man chuckled and shook his head.

                "Sure ya are, sweetie pie. Did ya bring daddy's credit card with ya?" he joked. Fawna's cheeks flushed an angry shade of red and she cocked her hip to one side with another one of her infamous pouts.

                "I'm being serious! You don't think I can do it! You're just like my ex. I'm going to prove to everyone that I can be successful on my own! Now, how much are those seeds and a chicken?" she demanded. The man shook his head and sighed.

                "You city folk are all the same, but a bag of tomato seeds are 150G and a chicken is 1500G." he told her, still chomping on his toothpick. Fawna wanted to take that toothpick and shove it up his nose, but she restrained herself. Fishing through her pockets, she counted up what little money she had.

                "Erm... just the seeds then," she mumbled, realizing a chicken was out of her price range. Still chuckling to himself, the man grabbed three bags of tomato seeds and handed them to her as she gave him the last of her money.

                "Good luck getting that dump in order..." he snickered derisively, walking into the back room of his shop. Feeling hurt and belittled, Fawna sniffed and dashed a few tears from her eyes before stomping out of the shop herself to head back to the farm.

                "I can do this. I'm not just a clueless bimbo! I'll prove everyone wrong and most of all, Greg!" she muttered determinedly to herself as she walked hurriedly down the dusty little dirt road that served as the main street of Serenity Falls.

                Could she really do this? She talked big, but when it came down to it, Fawna was a city bar singer, not a farmer...



© 2008 Ashleigh


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

218 Views
Added on December 17, 2008


Author

Ashleigh
Ashleigh

I live absolutely anywhere and everywhere I choose, whenever I please, thanks to a little something called imagination., Canada



About
ACTIVE CONTESTS I'm always looking for new reading material on Writers Cafe to review. I regularly create contests to give me an opportunity to read things tailored to my interests. I'll post any acti.. more..

Writing