Chapter VII: A New Friend

Chapter VII: A New Friend

A Chapter by Ashleigh
"

Fawna opens up to her new friend, Travis and he offers a helping hand in growing her farm.

"

                Fawna spun around and a brunette, slightly tanned guy stood there with a kind smile on his face. Tears still leaving messy streaks in the splatters of mud on her face, Fawna sniffled. "Who are you and why do you care what happens to me?" she asked defensively, her blue eyes guarded heavily. She had had enough of everyone in this village. The mystery guy ruffled his shaggy hair with his hand and gave a lopsided grin.

                "I'm Travis and my dad, Barry runs the Farmer's Shop. I care, because I used to be a little bit like you," he informed her. Fawna scoffed, not believing him for a second. How could someone whose father ran a Farmer's Shop be anything like her? Travis noted the disbelieving look on her face and laughed heartily.

                "I know it sounds weird, but it's true. Come back to the village with me and I'll see if I can help you out with your farm," he told her. Fawna reluctantly smiled; glad that she wouldn't have to go back to Greg after all. She nodded and wiped some of the tears and grime off of her cheeks.

                "Thanks." she murmured weakly, following Travis back towards the village, her muddy boots leaving a faint trail of muck along the beaten path. Martini trotted up to them as they passed the shop. Most of the villagers who had crowded around her to point and laugh had dispersed, going back to their regular daily activities. Slinging his arm over the foal's neck to keep him beside him, Travis patted his mane thoughtfully as Martini snorted happily, enjoying the affection. Arriving back at the farm, Travis took a look around Fawna's field and whistled.

                "You sure got a lot done for only being here two days," he complimented her truthfully. Fawna raised her eyebrow and huffed, not believing him. If she had been doing such a good job, then why had the entire village gone out of their way to make her feel stupid? Travis heard her tiny "Hmph!" and shook his head. "I'm serious. You've got some crops planted and watered, all the weeds are gone along with the tiny stones and branches, all that's left is the big stuff like the boulders and tree stumps. It takes most people about a week to get as much done as you have," he praised kindly. Fawna smiled, feeling much better about herself.

                "You mean it? You're not just trying to make me feel better?" she asked. When Travis shook his head, Fawna laughed as Mutt walked over to Travis barking excitedly, looking for a tummy rub, which Travis happily gave him. Fawna dried up her remaining tears and motioned for Travis to come inside her house.

                "So... I know you're from the city and the whole farming thing is new to you, but I still don't know your name or what you did before this," he said to Fawna as he sat down on her bed for lack of extra seating. Fawna flopped down on a rather flat cushion beside the tiny coffee table and sighed. This guy had been kind enough to convince her to stay. She may as well tell him her own story.

                "My name's Fawna and I used to be a bar singer in a really expensive, high-class bar. You know the kinds where fat, rich old men go to blow their extra money," she explained as Travis nodded. "My boyfriend, well... ex-boyfriend Greg owned the bar. Greg Werthson," she told him. Travis raised his eyebrows.

                "Greg Werthson, the famous actor?" he asked. Fawna nodded and Travis whistled. "Wow... okay, go on," he encouraged her. Sucking in another deep breath, Fawna reluctantly continued.

                "He gave me his really nice apartment above the bar to stay with him, and paid for everything. The rent, the food, my clothes, jewellery, makeup, nights out partying you name it. He bought me really expensive gifts and as long as I let him parade me around to all of his rich and famous friends, he kept paying attention to me," she sighed, realizing now just how much of a fool she had been to believe all of his sweet talk and expensive gestures. "Eventually, I fell in love with him and I thought we'd get married and be happy for the rest of our lives, but-"

                "I take it things didn't work out," Travis guessed. Biting her lip, Fawna nodded. This was the hardest part of her story to tell but she knew Travis wanted to hear the rest so she gathered up her remaining courage and finished in a tiny thread of a voice just barely above a whisper that Travis had to strain himself in order to hear.

                "He found another woman, someone prettier than I was and that was the end of me for him. He told me to pack my bags and get out, knowing that I had no money and no place to go. He just threw me out on the street without a second thought. I loved him and all I ever was to him was a convenient, mindless little lapdog," she finished, her voice wobbling dangerously. Travis looked at her sympathetically.

                "He used you," Travis summed it up for her. Fawna nodded as a fresh wave of tears spilled from her eyes. Travis pulled a handkerchief out of his pocket and handed it to her. Accepting it gratefully, Fawna dabbed at her eyes and wiped her nose as it had begun to drip a little bit. Leaning back with a frown, Travis sighed. "That must have hurt pretty badly. No wonder you wanted to get as far away from the city as you could. Did you plan on being a farmer when you left?" Despite her heartache, Fawna laughed.

                "No way. I was scared because I was all by myself in the dark. I saw a light in the distance and ran towards it just to get out of the dark. It turned out to be this farm and the old couple who was here before basically just handed it to me without even asking if I wanted it. Now I'm stuck rebuilding this dump," she told him, rolling her eyes in annoyance. Travis laughed at this amusing bit of information and nodded.

                "Yeah, Tom and Rita. I heard they were looking to sell, but I guess no one wanted it and they were so desperate they just handed it to the first person who stumbled into them," he chuckled. "I think you can rebuild this farm, so don't lose heart so easily okay? Mistakes are bound to happen, but keep your chin up. I have to get back to the store or my dad'll start berating me for being lazy. I'll stop by again to give you a hand," he offered, shaking her hand as he walked out of the tiny farmhouse. Fawna smiled, feeling much better and more confident than she had felt since she first arrived here.

                "Well, at least I have one friend in Serenity Falls," she murmured to herself as she went to the watering hole to scrub the mud off of her, thinking that once she had the money she'd build a bathroom so she wouldn't have to bathe and relieve herself outside like a hobo.



© 2008 Ashleigh


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
Added on December 17, 2008


Author

Ashleigh
Ashleigh

I live absolutely anywhere and everywhere I choose, whenever I please, thanks to a little something called imagination., Canada



About
ACTIVE CONTESTS I'm always looking for new reading material on Writers Cafe to review. I regularly create contests to give me an opportunity to read things tailored to my interests. I'll post any acti.. more..

Writing