Chapter XVI: A Date With Rick

Chapter XVI: A Date With Rick

A Chapter by Ashleigh
"

Fawna explains to Rick about her previous relationship on their date. Rick is very kind and understanding about her situation.

"

                "Travis, I'm so nervous!" Fawna wailed helplessly. "I don't even know if I look good. Is fashion the same here as it is in the city?" she asked. Her waist-length obsidian black hair was pulled back into a ponytail decorated with glittery clips. She was wearing light pink eye shadow with purple eyeliner and mascara;  a little bit of blush along her cheekbones and a shimmery baby pink lip-gloss completed the look.

                Looking down at what she wore, Fawna frowned at her pink knee-length, strapped shoulder dress and her matching heels. Travis laughed and shook his head. "Will you relax? You look great, now go!" he admonished her, pushing her out the door of her house. Fawna sighed but smiled all the same.

                "Alright, alright. I'm going," she told him, slinging her little purse over her shoulder and walking down the road to the Crescent Moon Bar. This was the first time she had really gone all out to look pretty since first coming to Serenity Falls and she had to admit, it did make her feel good. She had even taken the time to paint her nails.

                However, as she walked into the bar, she kept thinking about Greg. She knew he didn't love her. He never had and she also knew the relationship was over for good, but she still felt strangely guilty for feeling the way she did about Rick and she knew it was because she still loved him. She had given him everything she had... absolutely everything and he had taken it for granted.

                "Wow... you look really good," Rick said when he saw her and for that moment, Greg melted away from her mind and Fawna smiled, feeling very warm all of a sudden. She blushed a little and looked away.

                "Thanks... so do you," she admitted with flirty eyes. Indeed, Rick had also made an effort to clean up. His hair was combed back and he wasn't wearing his visor. He led her to a table as Rose walked up. Fawna noticed that her eyes looked a little glazed and knew she must have been drinking again. She pursed her lips sadly. She hoped she would tell Travis soon, or else Fawna would have to.

                "What can I get you?" she asked, her voice a little slurred. Rick didn't seem to notice and rattled off his order. Fawna deliberately gave something simple so that Rose wouldn't make a mistake. Once she had taken their orders and walked into the back to make their food, Rick turned to Fawna.

                "You know, you seem really hardworking for someone from the city," he commented, sipping his drink. "What did you do before you came here?" he asked, interested.

                "I was a bar singer in the city. I lived with my boyfriend at the time in the apartment above the bar. When he kicked me out, I left just to get away and prove him wrong..." she finished in a small whisper. Rick's eyes were very concerned and kind and she ended up telling him everything. She cleared her throat to hold back her tears. She didn't want to ruin the date by crying. Rick sighed.

                "That's terrible. How could someone do something so cruel to someone as nice as you? He sure missed out on something great, then," Rick said kindly and Fawna smiled, feeling warm once again. He was so sweet.

                "So have you lived on the Poultry Farm your whole life?" she asked, wanting to learn more about him. Rick nodded enthusiastically.

                "Yeah," she replied. "When my parents went on their honeymoon, my dad brought back two chickens as a souvenir. Those chickens ended up laying so many eggs my parents didn't know what to do with them so they started a poultry farm," he told her. "My mom had my sister and I when the farm started to take off. About two years ago, we found out that my mom was really sick and the medicine wasn't curing her; it was just keeping it at bay. My dad decided to leave and go find a rare flower to cure her, but he left her all alone with us kids to be brave on her own," he ended bitterly.

                "So you support your mom and your sister all on your own? That's a lot of responsibility for someone so young," Fawna told him. Rick nodded.

                "Yeah, but I love my family and I love running the farm so it's a lot of work that I enjoy, at least," he said brightly.

                Soon, it was very late and Rick asked if he could take Fawna home. She gratefully accepted since she was still scared of walking around in this village alone at night without any streetlights. Rick turned to her once they were back at her house.

                "I had a lot of fun tonight. Do you think we could do it again sometime?" he asked and Fawna bit her lip. Rick looked a little disappointed but nodded understandingly. "I get it. You're still trying to pick up the pieces, huh?" he asked as she nodded. "Well, I think you're someone who's worth waiting for. Take as much time as you need, Fawna. I won't go anywhere," he promised her.

                "Thanks Rick. You're so sweet," she whispered, her voice catching in her throat. With a polite nod, he turned and walked back towards Mineral Town where he lived. Shutting the door behind her, Fawna smiled softly, but a tear escaped her eye all the same.

                Life was confusing... especially love.



© 2008 Ashleigh


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
Added on December 17, 2008


Author

Ashleigh
Ashleigh

I live absolutely anywhere and everywhere I choose, whenever I please, thanks to a little something called imagination., Canada



About
ACTIVE CONTESTS I'm always looking for new reading material on Writers Cafe to review. I regularly create contests to give me an opportunity to read things tailored to my interests. I'll post any acti.. more..

Writing