Chapter XXII: As Time Goes By

Chapter XXII: As Time Goes By

A Chapter by Ashleigh
"

Rose tells Fawna that she's getting her one year sober badge and asks her to bring Travis to the ceremony.

"

                "Hey!" Fawna smiled as Rick walked through her door over three seasons later. Rick beamed and walked over to give her a very enthusiastic kiss.

                "I came as soon as I heard," he told her, smiling. "Would you look at this place?" he said, doing a 360 degree turn to inspect the second house extension Fawna had just completed. "I'm so proud of you!" he told her, hugging her fiercely as Fawna smiled with pride. Someone she loved was proud of her and happy that she had found success for herself. It was a wonderful feeling.

                "Herm..." Travis cleared his throat awkwardly in the doorway and Fawna and Rick broke apart. They had started to kiss again but were interrupted by Travis entering. They both went red and laughed nervously. Travis chuckled. "Fawna, your house looks great. I remember when Mutt tried to jump on your bed and you made him sleep on the floor cushion. This place was just a run-down shack, then," he commented and Fawna laughed, remembering her life when she first arrived in Serenity Falls.

                "Yeah. Now I actually have a dining table... and a bigger bed," she said brightly. Looking at her watch, she frowned slightly. "Crud. I'll be late to go have lunch with Rose if I don't leave now," she said, kissing her boyfriend goodbye and hugging her best friend before dashing out the door.

                A very sober and happy-looking Rose smiled and waved Fawna over to her table at the Crescent Moon Restaurant and Bar, which was now being run by Rose's rich cousin from the city who had hired a manager and staff to look after the place. "Fawna!" she cried when she arrived. "I heard your house got another extension. That must be great," she smiled. Fawna nodded and sat down.

                "It is. Rick's really excited about it. You'd think he was planning on living there," she said, chuckling. Rose raised an eyebrow as she sipped her soda. "What?" Fawna asked.

                "Maybe he is," Rose pointed out and Fawna went red, shaking her head. She would love to be Rick's wife. She loved him more than anything in the world, but Rick had never seriously talked about marriage with her before.

                "Rose..." she warned her and Rose laughed, putting up her hands in surrender.

                "Okay okay. I won't pester you about it... much," she teased and Fawna rolled her eyes with an amused grin. Suddenly, Rose cleared her throat and sighed. "There was a reason I asked you to lunch today, Fawna," she told her. "Next week I'll be getting my one year sober badge," she said proudly and Fawna smiled.

                "That's great, Rose," she told her and Rose nodded.

                "Yeah. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Whenever I wanted to drink, I just thought of Travis and it always stopped me right away... every single time," she said quietly and Fawna smiled sympathetically. She was still in love with Travis, and despite Travis' harsh attitude towards her, Fawna knew he still loved her too. "I wanted to ask you... could you come to the ceremony? With Travis?" she asked. "I want you both to be there, but I don't want Travis to know why he's there until I get my badge," she told her.

                "I'll drag Travis there by his boxers if I have to," Fawna winked. That made Rose laugh through her tears. This was a huge step in her life for her and Fawna dearly hoped that Travis would recognize that. Rose stood up and hugged Fawna.

                "Thank you," she whispered. "You've been more of a friend than I deserve," she told her. Fawna smiled and hugged her back.

                "Where is the ceremony?" Fawna asked. Rose grinned.

                "In the city," she answered and Fawna's blue eyes widened happily.

                "The city? I can go shopping? Get my hair done? A manicure? Pedicure? Massage?" she asked hopefully. It had been over a year since Fawna could enjoy those luxury things she still missed. Rose rolled her eyes, both amused and slightly nauseated.

                "I just knew you'd say that," she sighed. "... but yes," she answered with a smile.



© 2008 Ashleigh


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
Added on December 17, 2008


Author

Ashleigh
Ashleigh

I live absolutely anywhere and everywhere I choose, whenever I please, thanks to a little something called imagination., Canada



About
ACTIVE CONTESTS I'm always looking for new reading material on Writers Cafe to review. I regularly create contests to give me an opportunity to read things tailored to my interests. I'll post any acti.. more..

Writing