Chapter XX: Heartbreak

Chapter XX: Heartbreak

A Chapter by Ashleigh
"

Travis breaks up with Rose over her attack on Fawna and Rose resolves to turn her life around.

"

                The man who only called himself Doctor had insisted that Fawna stay at the clinic the next day so he could keep an eye on her. Apparently, Rose had hit her extremely hard in the head and he was concerned she may have a concussion that needed supervision. Fawna had been furious with the Doctor for that, because her chickens, dog and horse needed to be taken care of, but Travis had kindly offered to take care of everything for her while she was unable to work.

                When she woke up, she looked over to see Rick curled up on the chair beside her bed, sleeping soundly. Elli walked in and smiled. "Good morning, Fawna, is it? How are you this morning? I'm Elli. I'm your nurse," she said sweetly, pointing to her nametag. Fawna nodded.

                "Um, I'm feeling a little better. My head doesn't hurt unless I touch it," she said, wincing as she pressed her fingers to the tender spot near her left temple. Fawna nodded towards Rick. "How long has he been here?" she asked.

                "He's been here since you got here yesterday. He's never left this room except to use the bathroom. You have a very caring sweetheart, there," she said with a wink before walking out of the room to inform Doctor of Fawna's condition. Fawna smiled softly to herself.

                "I know..." she muttered quietly, her blue eyes going soft as she looked at him. Just then, Travis walked into the clinic and walked over to her, looking depressed.

                "Hey. All your farm chores are finished. How are you?" he asked, his eyes concerned for her but his tone very surly. Fawna frowned in puzzlement.

                "I'm feeling better... Travis, what's wrong?" Fawna asked. "You look so sad," she told him, slowly sitting up in bed against her pillow and pulling her waist-length, obsidian hair which was slightly curled near the ends away from her face. Travis sighed and sat down by her bedside, putting his head in his hands, looking completely dejected.

                "I broke up with Rose..." he told her in a glum voice, not looking up. Fawna's eyebrows knit in sympathy and she hugged her friend. "I told her that I loved her and wanted to marry her, but not like this. Not when she's hurting everyone around her, including myself and my best friend," he sighed. Fawna stayed silent, letting him get it all out. "She doesn't remember hitting you but when I told her, she was appalled. She feels horrible about it and she wanted me to tell you that once Harris releases her, she wants to make it up to you," he muttered. Fawna nodded.

                "Travis, I'm so sorry. Your heart must be broken," she whispered sadly. Travis gave a weak smile and sighed.

                "Yeah. I guess now I know what it feels like," he said sombrely before standing up and nodding to Rick. "So are you two... together now?" he asked and Fawna went a little pink in the cheeks as she nodded. He smiled with a chuckle. "It's about time. I'm happy for you," he told her. Looking at his watch, he whistled under his breath. "Crud. The Farmer's Shop opens in an hour and I'm not even in Serenity Falls. My dad's going to kill me. I'll come see you right after work, Fawna," he promised her with a hug before rushing off to work.

                Rick stayed with Fawna in the clinic for most of the day. He only went home briefly in the morning once he woke up to shower and change. He brought back soup from Lillia and a pretty bracelet from Popuri. Fawna was grateful for both. The soup made her feel better and the bracelet made her feel pretty, which of course was something Fawna loved. She was still appreciative of nice things after all, even though she was a farmer. That part of her would never die.

                "Um... hi. Can I come in?" a timid voice came from the doorway in the late afternoon. Rick glared and opened his mouth to tell Rose that she wasn't welcome here but Fawna put a hand on his arm, shaking her head.

                "Rick, please," she begged and reluctantly, Rick fell silent and walked out of the room, muttering angrily under his breath. Fawna couldn't say that she was impressed with Rose. She had lied to Travis, caused a scene in her drunken state and then had put Fawna in the clinic. She crossed her arms and looked at Rose suspiciously as she approached. Rose rubbed her eyes with force and cleared her throat, her eyes bright.

                "I guess you probably think I'm a terrible person, huh?" she asked with a dry chuckle. "I guess I can't blame you. I am a pretty terrible person," she sighed, sitting down with slumped shoulders. "I don't really remember much of what happened. I was pretty out of it. I know that's no excuse," she said quickly as Fawna opened her mouth to protest that very fact. "I've lost everything because of my drinking problem... Travis, my restaurant, the respect of the town... everything," she said, beginning to cry. "I don't want to be a bad person, Fawna. I know I can't keep doing this. I'm just hurting everyone I love. Starting today, I'm going to quit drinking... I know it's going to be hard, but I'm determined. That's why I'm selling my restaurant. There's too much temptation for me there," she muttered.

                Fawna couldn't believe her ears! Rose was selling the Crescent Moon Bar and Restaurant? The place she loved so much? "But... you love that place!" Fawna blurted. Rose chuckled weakly and wiped her eyes.

                "I love Travis more," she said simply. "I know he won't take me back but I at least want to prove to him that I love him enough to give up everything else. He told me he had been planning on marrying me..." she said with a sad smile. "I could have been his wife if it weren't for my stupidity... Goddess... I'm such an idiot. I flushed it all down the drain for a few drinks. I'm going to do everything I can to fix this. Travis deserves better than me and I want him to find that, but as for me... well, the misery ends here and now," she told Fawna firmly. Despite her anger, Fawna smiled. This was the Rose that she knew and the Rose that Travis had fallen in love with.

                "Maybe all hope isn't lost after all, Rose," Fawna told her. "Help yourself and focus on yourself first, but don't give up on Travis just yet. You might get lucky like I did," Fawna told her, nodding to where Rick was pacing in the next room. "He waited for me until I was ready. Travis might too," she told her. Rose smiled.

                "Thanks Fawna. You know, for a girly city-slicker, you're not so bad," she winked.



© 2008 Ashleigh


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
Added on December 17, 2008


Author

Ashleigh
Ashleigh

I live absolutely anywhere and everywhere I choose, whenever I please, thanks to a little something called imagination., Canada



About
ACTIVE CONTESTS I'm always looking for new reading material on Writers Cafe to review. I regularly create contests to give me an opportunity to read things tailored to my interests. I'll post any acti.. more..

Writing