Chapter XII: Rose is Jealous

Chapter XII: Rose is Jealous

A Chapter by Ashleigh
"

Rose displays a strangely uncharacteristic jealousy towards Fawna's friendship with Travis and accuses Fawna of trying to steal Travis from her.

"

                The next morning, Fawna got up and looked out her window. Travis had taken very good care of her farm the day before and everything seemed to be thriving. Her tomatoes were finally ready to be harvested! Fawna excitedly got dressed and bounded out the door to get started right away. She could use the money from the tomatoes to buy a chicken!

                As she picked each tomato carefully and placed it in her rucksack, Travis came up the hill to her farm. Fawna smiled and waved, running towards him with her rucksack on her back, prepared to show him her shiny, well-grown tomatoes but Travis had a very exasperated look on his face which made Fawna stop and frown. Walking behind him was Rose. She looked very angry and had her arms crossed in front of her. As they both got to where Fawna was, Rose and Travis stopped.

                "Hey Fawna," Travis mumbled. Fawna arched one slender eyebrow.

                "Hey, what's wrong?" she asked, looking from Rose to Travis. Had they gotten in a fight? She thought that things went well for them on their first date, why would they be fighting?

                "Rose thinks that I fancy you. I've told her a million times that you're just my friend but she won't listen. She demanded that I bring her here so you could tell her yourself, so will you, please?" he asked. Rose had tears glistening in her eyes and Fawna felt bad for her. She knew how it felt to feel as if someone you really cared about loved someone else.

                "Rose, Travis is telling the truth. He's my best friend and I care about him a lot, but not the same way you do," she told her kindly. Travis gave a satisfied smile and turned to face Rose.

                "You see, Rose? Fawna's just my friend, and that's all she ever will be," he said, as Fawna nodded. Rose did not look convinced.

                "Really, well I heard that she's a bar singer from the city, a seductress who flirts with every guy she meets and an empty-headed bimbo like that irritating Muffy in Forget-Me-Not Valley!" Rose accused cruelly, as tears began to stream down her cheeks.

                "Hey! What right do you have to judge me like that?" Fawna asked angrily, cocking one hip to one side and pouting as she always did when she was angry.

                "She's right, Rose. You shouldn't say things like that about people before getting to know them," he told her rather reluctantly. Poor Travis was caught between two people he cared about. Rose angrily dashed the tears from her eyes and glared at him.

                "You're going to side with her, aren't you?" she asked weakly. "Just because she's..." Rose paused for a moment, trying to think of a way to end her sentence "prettier than I am!" she finished, knowing how air-headed she sounded, which was very unlike Rose who was quite the opposite of Fawna in personality. Travis vehemently shook his head.

                "No Rose! I don't think she's pretty!" he insisted and Fawna looked at Travis, feeling very hurt. Just because they weren't dating, that didn't mean he could hurt her feelings like that.

                "You don't think I'm pretty?" she asked, biting her lip to keep from crying. To her, she felt as if her best friend had just told her she was ugly. Travis' eyes widened in regret and he shook his head.

                "I'm so sorry, Fawna, I didn't mean it that way," he tried to apologize, but Rose had had enough of this.

                "That's it!" she told him angrily. "Go be with your cutesy bar singer!" she yelled before dissolving into tears and running off Fawna's farm. Travis went after her, but paused to look back at Fawna hesitantly. She just scowled.

                "Go! It's not like you want to be friends with such an ugly hag anyway!" she told him, her voice filled with hurt. Travis looked as if he was about to argue, but then just sighed, shaking his head before running after Rose to try and make things right with her.

                Fawna watched him go before carrying her tomatoes to the shipping bin, tears of feeling unwanted and worthless running down her cheeks.



© 2008 Ashleigh


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
Added on December 17, 2008


Author

Ashleigh
Ashleigh

I live absolutely anywhere and everywhere I choose, whenever I please, thanks to a little something called imagination., Canada



About
ACTIVE CONTESTS I'm always looking for new reading material on Writers Cafe to review. I regularly create contests to give me an opportunity to read things tailored to my interests. I'll post any acti.. more..

Writing