Chapter IX: Greg Shows Up

Chapter IX: Greg Shows Up

A Chapter by Ashleigh
"

Fawna's ex-boyfriend makes a rather unpleasant visit and Travis attempts to cheer up his new friend.

"

                The next week flew by quite quickly for Fawna and her tomato sprouts had grown into handsome vines that looked ready to be harvested any day now. She had started to become used to the farming lifestyle, however she still wished she could get a new manicure and wardrobe. Her and Travis had become quite good friends and hung out together every day.

                This particular morning, as Fawna was dressing herself for the day, a rapping at the door caught her attention. Figuring that it was probably Travis since he usually stopped by at this time every morning, Fawna quickly finished dressing and opened the door. "Hey Tr-" she stopped dead in mid-sentence. A tall man with slicked back midnight hair in a very clean, expensive looking business suit stood before her, holding a very high-quality imported cigar in his right hand. As he put the cigar in his mouth to take a puff, Fawna stammered unintelligently. "Gr-Greg? Wh-what are y-you doing h-here?" she stuttered weakly. All of a sudden, she was VERY aware of her dusty shorts and work boots, her tattered old farmer's shirt, her un-styled hair and her makeup-less face. Greg took one look at her and chuckled.

                "Well, look at you there, Dollface," he muttered derisively, taking another drag off of his cigar. "Playing farmer for almost two weeks now; how cute, but it's time to get back to the real world now Sweetcheeks. Pack your things, we're going home," he told her matter-of-factly, as if it was purely his decision and she had no say in the matter. For a moment, Fawna's eyes widened as she remembered the bustling bar, her voice on stage, the people clapping for her, expensive shopping trips and late nights out partying. Could she really go back to all of that?

                "H-home? You mean it, Greg?" she whispered. Greg nodded as he flicked his cigar to the ground, stamping it out with his polished black designer shoes. Fawna actually smiled. She could go home now! She was so happy, she didn't bother to question him about the other woman he had discarded her for or why he had gone out of his way to locate her again. She flung her arms around Greg's neck in her joy. "Oh, I love you so much Greg!" she cried happily as Greg shooed her off of him, not wanting her smelly farmer clothes to contaminate his pristine outfit.

                "Yeah yeah, Sugarplum," he said absent-mindedly. "Now hurry up or we'll miss the bus outta this dump," he grumbled. Nodding and bounding towards her suitcase, Fawna began haphazardly throwing everything she could into it. She was going home! Back where she belonged! As she zipped her suitcase shut, she heard footsteps walking into the house, but these footsteps did not make the same sophisticated clicking sound as Greg's shoes. These footsteps resounded as heavy thumps. Looking up, she saw Travis standing there. His expression was completely unreadable but it certainly was a step down from his usual, care-free grin. Fawna slowly stood up with her bag over her shoulder. Travis nodded outside to where Greg was waiting for her.

                "So... that's Greg, huh?" he asked in a seemingly off-hand voice. Fawna nodded. "You're leaving?" he asked her pointedly, looking at her packed bag. Fawna nodded again, and for some reason she suddenly felt ashamed of herself, though she had no idea why. Without realizing it, Fawna found that she was explaining herself.

                "Travis, he's taking me back to the city. Back home, where I belong!" she protested. "He wants me back and let's face it, I was never cut out for this kind of lifestyle. Thanks for everything, but it's time for me to go," she reasoned, moving past him to go outside, but Travis gently held her back.

                "He doesn't deserve to have you back, Fawna. He's just going to use you again," Travis told her point-blank. Fawna wrenched her arm out of Travis' grip and glared angrily.

                "No he's not! He loves me and you're just jealous!" she retorted in desperation, knowing perfectly well that nothing in that sentence was remotely true. Travis sighed.

                "Fawna, you're a really nice girl and a great friend, but you're not my type. That doesn't change the fact that you deserve better than the slime ball standing outside. You're so blinded by your love for him that I bet you didn't even bother asking him about that other girl he ditched you for, or why he's suddenly come crawling back to you after almost two weeks," he accused, his arms now crossed in front of him. Fawna bit her lip and looked down at the floor. He was right, of course. She had been so glad to go back to her old life that she had completely forgotten about those gaping facts. Slowly, she put her bag down and walked outside to confront Greg.

                "Where's your bag?" Greg asked impatiently, tapping his foot. "Time is money, Babe. Have you forgotten that after living out here in the boonies?" he chuckled. Fawna looked him straight in the eye.

                "What about her? The other girl?" Fawna whispered, trembling slightly. She had never stood up to Greg or questioned him before unless you count the outburst she had when he had thrown her out.

                "She's history, Blossom; couldn't rake in enough clientele at the bar. It's going downhill without entertainment now. That's why I need you to hurry and catch the bus with me so I can get you back on that stage," he told her with a smug, satisfied smirk. Fiera's heart felt like it had been smashed to pieces again after only part of it being glued back together.

                "That's all I am to, aren't I? A way to make money. You never cared about me at all," she cried as tears started to spill from her eyes. She felt so worthless and used. Greg rolled his eyes in his annoyance.

                "Look, I don't have time for your crazy antics, Dollface. Now get moving!" he growled, gripping Fawna's arm quite hard and trying to drag her off. That's when Travis stepped in and wrenched Greg's hand off of her.

                "Get your hands off her!" he growled just as menacingly. "And her name is Fawna! Not Dollface, not Sweetcheeks... FAWNA!" he said loudly and clearly. Greg's face flushed an angry crimson and he seemed about to throw a punch at Travis, but thought better of it at the last second. Bad publicity in the tabloids was not the thing a famous actor like him needed. Instead, he shoved a finger in Travis' chest.

                "Look, you ignorant hicks don't know anything about the real world!" he shouted. Fawna jumped forward and shoved Greg hard in the chest, making him stumble backwards. Raising his hand to slap Fawna across the face, Travis gripped it before it he struck her and forced it down.

                "Don't call him a hick!" Fawna told Greg crossly; glad that he hadn't been able to hit her "You can go back without me, because I'm tired of being taken for granted!" Stalking off furiously, Mutt chased after Greg, growling and barking aggressively. "I hope your bar goes bankrupt and you know how it feels to be tossed out on the street like a worthless piece of garbage!" Fawna screamed angrily after him. As his figure slowly faded down the road in the distance, Fawna wiped her eyes and smiled weakly at Travis. "Thanks... and I'm sorry for saying you were jealous," she mumbled, quite embarrassed over her actions. Travis just shrugged it off and put an arm around her shoulder.

                "Don't worry about it," he reassured her. "You must be feeling pretty down after that. What do you say we grab a bite to eat at the bar after the chores are done here? My treat," he offered; that same lopsided grin back on his face. Fawna smiled sheepishly and nodded.

                "As long as it's not Greg's bar," she joked.



© 2008 Ashleigh


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
Added on December 17, 2008


Author

Ashleigh
Ashleigh

I live absolutely anywhere and everywhere I choose, whenever I please, thanks to a little something called imagination., Canada



About
ACTIVE CONTESTS I'm always looking for new reading material on Writers Cafe to review. I regularly create contests to give me an opportunity to read things tailored to my interests. I'll post any acti.. more..

Writing