Chapter Eleven: Imaginary Girlfriends

Chapter Eleven: Imaginary Girlfriends

A Chapter by -Aurelia Mirella
"

I've finally made my computer work!!! I hope you enjoy this next chapter, and maybe, depending on what happens, I might get twelve out tomorrow. ^.^

"

 

Chapter Eleven: Imaginary Girlfriends

 

“Christopher Landon Merlini! I have to talk to you!” I sang as entered the classroom that held my last period class. It was a study hall period which I shared with twenty-one other students who all happened to be of the male descent. On most days, I never even bothered to show up and left school early to take a nap before coming back to go to practice, but today I was on a mission.

 

Chris was leaning back in his usual chair with his arms crossed and a smug grin drawn upon his face. His red copper hair was gelled back, and I couldn’t help but to poke at it before sitting in the desk next to him.

 

“Hello Chrissy-poo,” I greeted him, dropping my backpack to the floor in the process.

 

His smirk was instantly wiped of his face with a scowl replacing it. His light blue-grey eyes blazed with annoyance. He strongly disliked the nickname, and his reaction to it was always a guarantee for a good laugh.

 

“Oh come on now! Would you rather I call you Christopher?” I asked, allowing all of my giddiness to be heard through my voice. I already knew the answer.

 

“My name is Chris,” he said torridly. His voice matched the sweltering heat of his glare. In all honesty, he looked like a devil of some sort except that his skin wasn’t a stained red, but pale and sprinkled with cinnamon freckles. I swallowed a laugh only because I didn’t want him to get too angry. I feared that if I did, I would risk having Kindall wait a while longer in agony of unknowing.

 

“Okay Chris, relax. I just wanted to know how your little lunch date went.”

 

The smirk quickly returned to his face, and he stopped leaning back in his chair, obviously thrilled that I had remembered. He turned his desk so that it was at an angle in order to see me and more than likely, my reactions. I of course held no emotion, just simply watched his eyes, knowing that they would betray him sooner or later. Hopefully sooner rather than later, I wanted my nap.

 

“It was great…Eve was looking really hot today.”

 

I nodded, playing along. “Tell me, what does Eve look like? She must be beautiful with a name like that!”

 

Chris’s eyes darted quickly from mine, and a light shade of pink crept its way onto his cheeks. I knew right then and there that I had gotten him. He wasn’t planning on my fake interest in his “girlfriend”.

 

“Azzurra?!” a voice exclaimed incredulously, interrupting our conversation. I silently cursed the voice as Chris looked up with relief, probably silently worshiping his savior.

 

A boy with light brown hair that swept over his eyes sauntered into the room. Surprisingly, he walked with a swift grace even with his hair obstructing his vision. A large and genuine smile illuminated his face as he approached me, and I returned the gesture. After all, Matt was one of my greatest friends.

 

I stood up to give him a hug, forgetting the few seconds of anger I had with him. His strong arms pulled me into a bear hug, and the familiar scent of laundry detergent and grass drifted to my nose as my face pressed against his shirt.

 

“Hey, how are you?” he whispered, still holding me tight. “My mom told me what happened…”

 

I laughed nervously knowing what he meant and shook my head. His mom worked in the office, so it didn’t surprise me that Matt would be the first to find out, not including Seth.

 

“It hasn’t had much time to sink in yet.”

 

“You’ll call me later though, when it does, right? You know I’ll do everything I can.”

 

I nodded before pulling myself away. I could already feel the lump beginning to form in my throat, and I wasn’t about to cry now.

 

“Sup man,” Matt acknowledged the still relieved Chris and then they did that hand shake, shoulder bump thing guys do.

 

I didn’t let Chris answer, conscious of the fact that he would grab at any chance to change the subject.

 

“We were just talking about his lunch date with Eve,” I said watching both of their expressions, “he was just about to tell me about her.”

 

Matt looked at Chris for a few moments with eyebrows raised, unsure of what to say. Chris didn’t look at either of us but decided to watch the birds flying past the window outside instead.

 

“You were with him, weren’t you?”

 

“Ermm…yea but you know what? James said he needed me for something, so uhh…yea. I’ll just leave you two to finish talking about what you were talking about…” he mumbled quickly.

 

“Nah, don’t worry about it,” I said as I stood up and gathered my things. “I really just wanted to tell Chris that his date with Eve today was going to be his last. He’s going to ask out Kindall.”

 

Matt’s jaw dropped, his eyes wide as CDs looking between me and Chris. Chris on the other hand, stood up abruptly, knocking over his desk with a loud bang, his eyes flickering with uncontrolled anger.

 

“Since when did you decide I would be doing that?” he hissed.

 

“Since when did you decide to make up women?” I argued calmly back.

 

He only stood there flustered and embarrassed. Matt was already long gone in the other corner of the class chatting with James and a few other guys. Occasionally, he would glance up at us, but looked away once he noticed I was watching him. He knew he couldn’t lie to me, but he didn’t want to betray his other best friend which I found to be very understandable.

 

“I…DO NOT…LIKE…KINDALL.”

 

I sighed, “Yea, yea. Keep telling yourself that Chrissy-poo, and tell your imaginary girlfriend to find a new man to please because you and Kindall are together now.”

 

I patted his cheek then turned to leave, but Chris had different plans. He grabbed my elbow and spun me around, crushing my face against his torso. I saw nothing but the white fabric of our school shirts until his hand cupped my chin, forcing me to look up at him. We were so close our noses almost touched, and it didn’t seem to bother him at all. His eyes were locked on mine, boring into them with excruciating intensity. 

 

“Would it make you happy if I went out with her?” He spoke quietly, as if I were the most fragile thing in the world, subject to break at any moment.

 

I was afraid to nod, not wanting to touch his face with my own, and I felt that if I spoke, my lips would for sure brush against his. So I managed giving him a pleading look with a muffled “mhmm”.

 

“Alright, I will.”

 

He released me and sat back down in his desk. His face drawn tight and his eyebrows crinkled together in thought.

 

Not even bothering to say goodbye, I quickly walked towards the door, ignoring the looks I got as I passed the rows of desks. I set my eyes on looking at the window of the door, my freedom.

 

After what seemed like an eternity, I finally reached it. My hand eagerly grabbed for the cool handle so that I could escape. Pushing it forward, the door began to open outwards, but then it stopped. The door jolted back as if it had hit something, and then a blur of cream and auburn flashed past the window, but it was too fast and too sudden for me to comprehend.

 

I growled frustrated that I couldn’t open the door the first time. I tried again, this time successful, and continued to walk briskly away to my car, clearing my mind in the process.

 

 

 

 

 “Stupid looks…stupid accent…stupid, stupid, stupid…” I chanted in a mumble while banging my head against the desk I was sitting in. Nobody noticed though. I actually could have been screaming the words and nobody would have noticed, not even the teacher! Everyone was so smitten with Mr. London that I bet my garage full of cars, if I were dying and howling in pain, still no one would notice.

 

An eruption of giggles came from the front of the class. I glared at the group of foolish girls sitting around Seth with their eyes bugging out of their heads, mouths open, and cheeks flushed with different shades pink. Seth was reading to them, A Book of Love Poetry, and they were going absolutely gaga.

 

The fact that he was reading to them was partial my fault. If I hadn’t chose him to read after me and picked the girl in front of me like I usual did when Ms.Roche made us do “popcorn” reading, then everyone would still be in their seats doing the assignment for today. But no, I had to choose him. I had to try to embarrass him.

 

That stupid idea of mine occurred twenty-five minutes ago.

 

I sat there continuing to bang my head. I should have known that this day wasn’t going to go well. Last night was miserable. I maybe got three hours of sleep, tops. All the tears and emotions that I held throughout the day poured out of me as soon as I entered my room for the rest of the night. I cried and cried, until it was impossible for any water to come out of me. And then when I finally fell asleep, the nightmares were terrible. They had me tossing and turning, sweating, crying…just miserable. My dear Grandpa Bruno…how I wished I could’ve seen him. Just one last time…

 

Another eruption of giggles shot into the air. I stopped banging my head to see what was so cute and funny this time and also because my head was really starting to hurt. As soon as I did though, I wished I had banged my head harder.

 

I looked up to find Seth was wearing Ms. Roche’s glasses and attempting to act out the poems. His school shirt was half unbuttoned, revealing his bare but fit chest, and his shoes were off so that he could stand up on Ms. Roche’s desk. The sight made me feel sick. The fact that he was flirting with the teacher, especially one I didn’t care for, was revolting. Honestly! Did he have any self pride?

 

Seth felt my gaze because he looked up for a brief moment with a crooked smile containing loads of arrogance showing brightly on his face. He’s eyes glittered with audacity.

 

I laughed mockingly, and then mouthed three little words that I knew would drive him up the wall.

 

“Seth Avery Darke”

 

And sure enough, he glared and turned away to face his admirers again. He didn’t bother to look at me the rest of the period.

 

When the bell finally rang, I ran for the door. I had packed up twenty minutes before I should have started to, so I was easily the first one out of the room. I couldn’t bare the sight of Seth and the female half of my class flirting any more.

 

I ran all the way to my locker, not wanting to be caught in the mobs of Seth lovers. Being stuck going against one of those was just as bad as suicide itself. Throwing my English supplies quickly inside and grabbing my bag, I rushed to the office. There was no way I was going to Health today. Seth would be the topic for sure, and the last thing I wanted to hear was something about him.

 

 I didn’t bother to ask anyone to come with me. Madi was Seth’s escort for today, so she had to stay, not like she minded though. At least I knew he was annoyed by that, even though he was very good at acting the opposite. And Kindall for sure would want to discuss the new “heart throb” of the school, so she was out too.

 

I thought of all the possible people I could invite, but I could see all of them turning the conversation to Seth, even my guy friends. Then it hit me, my family. Today would be the perfect day to have a little sibling time. None of them were in high school, so Seth didn’t exist in their minds, yet.

 

I whipped out my phone, and began searching through my contacts. I pressed the “5” button so that I could search the L’s for Leo. I went to push it again but stopped. The first letter button “5” went to was J, and sure enough, a new idea hit me.

 

Johnny.

 

I quickly pressed the “Talk” button and waited. I felt tiny butterflies fluttering in my stomach as the phone rang. After the third ring, someone picked up.

 

“Hello?” 

 

“Johnny! It’s Azzurra, the girl from yes-”

 

His loud laugh echoed through the phone causing a smile to spread on my lips.

 

“How could I forget you? I gave you a gift for your brother, Vinny right?”

 

“Yep, that’s me!” I said thoroughly happy. He even remembered my brother’s name…

 

“Well what’s up? Do you need something?”

 

“Actually, I was wondering if you were still up for that lunch date. Things are going really slow at school, so I thought today would be perfect.”

 

“Of course! I don’t get off ‘till thirty after though, is that okay? I could try and get someone to cover.”

 

“No that’s fine! I don’t mind waiting a bit, and plus watching you work should be entertaining.”

 

“Maybe I should get someone to take over…your beauty will be a major distraction,” he replied teasingly.

 

I giggled as a small blush heated my cheeks.

 

“I’m on my way!”

 



© 2009 -Aurelia Mirella


Author's Note

-Aurelia Mirella
Reviews please! They are as lovely as the people that give them. :] And two things...ONE- I'm strongly considering changing the title of my book to "The Price of Perfection", so that's a heads up on that. TWO- Did you catch the "girlfriends" name? EVE...chapter elEVEn? Haha, just a random fact. :]

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

gaaaah! Seth is back! that flirt! lol..ooh, that moment with Chris is heartstopping...why oh why there have to be so many hot guys in Azzurra's life?! i could swoon now...lol. oh gosh, your descriptions are great! you're getting better in every chapter, Aurelia..go girl! i'll be waiting for the next chap :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Seriosusly!!!! All these guys, poor Azzurra!!! Let's hope that she finds the right one. Love thus!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your conversations are so perfect! I love to sit and imagination I'm sitting in the room as everyone talks... It is so honest, so real! I'm so excited for Azzurra!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Fun, entertaining, brings back memories of high school (shudder), a wonderful story. Another very well written chapter.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

gaaaah! Seth is back! that flirt! lol..ooh, that moment with Chris is heartstopping...why oh why there have to be so many hot guys in Azzurra's life?! i could swoon now...lol. oh gosh, your descriptions are great! you're getting better in every chapter, Aurelia..go girl! i'll be waiting for the next chap :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

497 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 2, 2009
Last Updated on January 9, 2009


Author

-Aurelia Mirella
-Aurelia Mirella

Venice, Italy



About
Mi chiamo Aurelia! I live in Venice, Italy, and speak both Italian and English fluently. Writing has been added to the tiny list of addictions I have. Sports, mainly soccer, and art are two others.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Regrets Regrets

A Poem by Tate Morgan