A False Life

A False Life

A Chapter by Big_Mac

Chris rolled out of bed; feeling as if he didn't sleep at all. He walked over to the window and pulled the shades back as he stood in the morning sun and feeling it heat his body He looked out at the Louisiana landscape of the small town called Sharpervil and could see the leaves turning as it was mid October. As he stood in the window; just lost in thought. 


"You’d think after 20 years I'd be able to move past it and have a nice sleep." he thought.

"You would think after 200 years father would have gotten over the small town feel. But it's what he wants and I got to go with it. Maybe I can talk him into staying in a big city like New York next time. I just wish we didn't have to move around so much, but we can't be anywhere long enough to get to know people. Father did promise we would be here for a while. All we have to do is watch out for hunters looking for us." Chris thought as he closed the blinds and walked into the bathroom to start his morning routine.


 He walked over to the sink and turned on the water; he then splashed some water on his face. He looked at the mirror and didn't make eye contact with himself. He saw his short blond hair that was the so perfect blond; that women dye for the color. Next were his eyes that were the most beautiful dark green that one look into them would stop anyone in their tracks. Next moving to what was the perfect body type, toned perfectly and not too much musical. His chest firm and stomach was flat and hard as a rock. Everything about him was perfect and inviting to both woman and some men. He laughed slightly as the thought of  the men fighting over him. But then he looked himself in the eyes through the mirror. This was always was the hardest part of the day for him. To look at himself as so painful for him. Ten seconds was what he thought about on the nights he wouldn't sleep. Chris thought if he could look at himself for ten seconds and not be reminded by the voices that he was the reason Lauren was dead. Now he started today out the same way, he looked into the mirror right into his own eyes and started the slow mantle count down. The heard the two voices in his head as he started to count. 


"One, it's time to move on. You feel in love. Two, you never thought they would come after the two of you. But you knew better. Three, you knew you were on thin ice with them and you persuade after a human. Four, you knew that would cone and you tried to stay on the run, but you brought death to your love. Five, it's your fault that Lauren is dead; you killed her just like your mother. Six, you are death, and no one around you is safe. Seven, YOU KILL EVERYONE YOU LOVE!" Chris tore his eyes away from the mirror as the last words echoed in his head.


 With rage and anger he slammed the palm of his hand onto the marble sink and saw a crack form around the edge. " again... I couldn't look at myself again. How pathetic is that." He thought as he pulled himself away from the sink and went back to the bed room. Chris walked over to the stereo and turned it on as rock music began to blast for the speakers. Look at the clock he saw it was now 6:30 and he needed to get a move on so he isn't late. Chris laughed to himself as he thought about being late for anything and knew it didn't matter, he has all the time in the world. Chris grabs a pair of ripped jeans that fit loosely and put on a studded Belt; he pulled on a black t-shirt with the logo of the band Breaking Benjamin on the front of it. He pulled on his Chuck Taylor high tops, grabbed his keys and bag. As he walked down the stairs he heard the soft tone of an old record player and the sound of Beethoven playing from the speaker. He laughed to himself as he walked into the kitchen to grab some breakfast. Opening the refrigerator he saw hundreds of bottles of red liquid and in the corner were a small amount of food such as yogurt apples and hotpokets. Debating on what he wanted reached in and grabbed one of the bottles. 6:45 the clock read as he walked out the kitchen and into the living room where he saw his father Matthew sitting in his favorite chair reading the news paper. Matthew looked young, no more than 35 or at the oldest 38, he had pale skin but it wasn't as if he looked like a ghost. Along with his skin he had blond hair cut in a professional way and dark brown eyes. Leaning against the door frame; Chris opened the bottle he chuckled, as he took a large drink from the bottle his father spoke. 


"Christopher must you play that music as loud as you do in the morning?" Matthew asks smiling as he sat his paper down and removed the needle off of the record. 


Laughing slightly and capping his bottle Chris thought for a moment, before answering "Well I do have to change with the times, and if I'm going to play a 17 year old high school guy I need to get in the mind set." Chris said trying not to laugh. "But must you go though the same routine every morning? You wake up, eat, get the paper, play Beethoven, and then go off to work. Don't you get bored with it all and want to change it up? I mean 200 years is a long time to do the same Thing father." Chris said to him. "Oh that reminds me, the next time we move can we stay in a big city like New York?"Chris asked Matthew. 


"My son you must understand that we keep to these small towns, it's in our best interest not to bring attention to ourselves. You’re still young for our kind and I know it's hard to keep you wants at bay." Matthew said as he watches Chris looking at the floor. "But how have the dreams been lately? You were screaming again and it has me worried. Is it the same one as always?" Matthew asks as he took a sip out red liquid from a wine glass. Chris looked at the floor and thought about it again. The dream so clear in his mind’s eye that he was almost brought right back to that night yet again. "Christopher?" Matthews’s voice broke through Chris's thoughts and he was brought back to reality. 


"Don’t worry yourself about it father. They are not as bad as before, but I need to get going before I'm late." Chris said to try and change the subject as came off the doorframe.


 "You have a good day my son; do not forget I will be in New Orleans tonight. So you are on your own." Matthew said as he picked up a briefcase. 


"I'll be fine trust me. I am just going to the school and coming home." Chris said as they both left the house and headed to their cars. Chris watched as his father climbed into his posh and drove off, then he turned to his favorite car. Chris walked to his car and smiled, he thought about all the kids that owed cars today and how his differed. Chris didn't have a car that coast thousands of dollars, had rims, or even an amazing paint job. What his car had was class, and good old America muscle. Chris ran his hand along the black hood of his 1967 Chevrolet Impala. The car was one Chris spent many sleepless nights working on and built it from the ground up. The car was black on black and look as if it just rolled right off the line. He slid into the driver seat and started the car, it roared to life and the horse power could be heard from three blocks away. Chris turns the radio on and the opening lines to Back in Black started to play. Revving the engine he turned the radio up and he peeled out down the road and leaves flying behind him as he speeds away. 



© 2012 Big_Mac


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

you create nice imagery in both chapters...very captivating story keep up the good work...just minor spelling and typos here and there but i think you'll fix that later

Posted 13 Years Ago


Bad's:

"Chris rolled out of bed and felt as if you didn't sleep at all." Who is this "you"? The reader?

"He walked over to the window and pulled the shades back as he stood in the morning sun and felt the heat radiating off the sun." Omit "felt the heat radiating off the sun." It does not help in anyway to enhance the image of standing in the morning sun. Or maybe you can revise it if you want to retain the image that Chris "felt the heat".

Requires spelling check.

-----

Good's:

"Another False Life" is thematic for the 2nd Chapter (although you can enhance it by not being way too "explicit") [Objection: "another" suggests that there is another false life besides the current life depicted, maybe you meant "a false life" instead, since the Chris and Matthew are practicing this false life "all along"?]

Your gut feeling on how to end a chapter is reliable. Stick to it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very nice and so spooky! Things are heating up speeding away at the end like that! Hurry up and write the next one!

Posted 13 Years Ago


That is a true father and son relationship. One that is built on trust even on a secret like this. Very well written

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

502 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 30, 2010
Last Updated on August 14, 2012


Author

Big_Mac
Big_Mac

St. Amant, LA



Writing
False Angel False Angel

A Poem by Big_Mac



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


My heart My heart

A Poem by Big_Mac