Hunting

Hunting

A Chapter by Big_Mac

As Valerie snuck away she couldn’t help wondering why he was in so much pain. After she was far enough away from Chris's house she started to run as the sun started to go down and she wanted to be home before dark. She finally came into the clearing of her backyard, and her father was standing on the back porch looking at her with his eyes full of fury as he pointed inside the door.  As she trudged inside she knew what would come next, she entered into the kitchen where her mother was cleaning dishes. Rebecca, Valerie's mother was 5'2, small in body and was blond with blue eyes. Her father, on the other hand, was a huge man 6'5, 256 lbs all muscle with black hair and a full black beard that was starting to gray at the roots and eyes that were almost gray. As he spoke his voice was deep and when he was angry the birds in the nearby trees all scattered quickly.  


"We have rules in this house Valerie and you will start to obey them!"  


Valerie just sat in her chair as she looks at the sun setting behind the woods and their cozy southern kitchen growing darker.  


"You are to come home and report to me about the day, you know that we are on the lookout for them!" he yelled as slammed a chair into the table. At this point Valerie had enough of her father’s stupid ways, especially about the night.  


"You are so stupid dad! I'm almost eighteen and I've never even heard of anyone seeing, let alone killing a vampire!" she yelled at him.  


Even though Chris was three houses away he could hear the yelling coming from Valerie's house and knew where the hunter and his daughter lived. As Chris listened he heard everything about how her father went out every night to hunt and that he owned the sporting goods store in town, about how Valerie was to report every day about new people. After he listened he heard her tell her father John all about him being new to school and his father working in New Orleans. At these words Chris left the balcony and grabbed his cell phone as he sent a text to his father. 

  

"Hunters three houses down, owner of sports store, name is John Roy!" he sent it. When he was paying attention again he had heard that the yelling had come to a stop and crying had replaced the sound. Chris leapt off the balcony and climbed to the roof with ease. He looked toward Valerie's house and could see her crying in her bedroom. As he watched something leaving the back door caught his eyes and saw John heading to the woods. He knew that it was madness to follow him, but he had to know where he was going.   

  

Without hesitation Chris jumped over the balcony and hit the ground, within the blink of an eye he was in the woods, trailing ever so slightly behind John. Chris could see perfectly in the night as he followed John into a clearing and start to take things out of a bag. Chris climbed into a tree with the stealth of a panther, crouching on a branch Only few feet above John, he watched the traps being set up. Chris saw just what he had in the bag and how much he knew how to hurt them. John set a trip wire around the clearing.  The contents of the bag were endless. Long ropes of silver, wooden stakes, a crossbow, and a small axe for the removal of their heads. If Chris was to trip the wire it would explode silver shards and wooden stakes. Then Chris felt the hunger hit him hard, like a punch in the gut. He closed his eyes for a moment to try to control him. When he re-opened his eyes he saw what was going on. John was pouring a bottle of blood out all around the traps, as Chris inhaled the air and found what kind of blood it was... human. When he was finished, John slipped on a pair of night vision goggles and started to look around the area. Chris started to move in the trees so not to be spotted. He moved to the left and stepped on a branch that snapped, causing him to fall to the ground, hitting the trip wire. Instantly the silver and wood stakes flew out everywhere. One of the silver bullets hit Chris in the shoulder as he hit the ground. John turned to the explosion and saw nothing there. John turned around to look all over but saw nothing. He cursed silently under his breath and started to run in the direction of where he thought something ran off. 


Chris's arm was bleeding from where the silver hit him, but the wound closed after only a few moments. After two miles of running east so that John couldn't find him, he stopped and looked at where he was hit. As he looked down and inspected the closed wound he heard growling. It was low and dangerous. As he turned he saw a wolf standing 5 feet tall and was black as the night. Chris smiled as he look at this wolf. 

  

"It's been a long time."  Chris says.



© 2012 Big_Mac


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Just like Brittni I can see a real dose of where your inspiration comes from! You've managed to pay good homage to the genre but I'd just urge a bit of caution if you follow a prescribed path too precisely. All of the limitations that you're writing within could turn the process into a bit of a chore - writing should never get like that. You're developing the characters quite nicely and you're use of language and imagery is nicely balanced. I'd certainly be interested to see where the story is leading (although I can guess at some sort of werewolf-vampire-human love triangle) but maybe you'll surprise me and go in some new and wildly unpredictable direction!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Well, I must say that this chapter looks familiar lol. But I so far love the direction of the story and where you are taking me so far. I also like the cat and mouse kind of game that you are creating with Chris and Vals father. I want to read more, please keep me informed!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

250 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 1, 2011
Last Updated on August 14, 2012


Author

Big_Mac
Big_Mac

St. Amant, LA



Writing
False Angel False Angel

A Poem by Big_Mac