XI - The Charioteer

XI - The Charioteer

A Chapter by BL

'It was not a time for reason, it was a time of chaos and the gods of chaos reigned in bringing death and fire, making the luxury of everyone's ordered world hang on such a slender thread.

I am cold again and will need wood to carry on with this tale. Wood for the fire of memories'


[][][][][]

Yulla waited and that was the hardest part, the sitting about and doing next to nothing, it was soul destroying and made her feel completely powerless. Like a lot of people she ended up living between unfounded gossip and news updates from abroad. The news was usually vague, hidden and disguised, brought from unknown spies and travellers. The spies and their messages, she had noticed were getting fewer and fewer of late as the approaching army marched north through Gaul towards Briton. Yulla was doing very little towards the war effort, but her friend Boudica was very active, spending most of her time practicing with her chariot. Instead of spending her time gossiping and chatting to Yulla, Boudica would race her chariot over the flat grasslands and down the long roads. She would drive her chariot to the limits of its capabilities, turning it tightly, making it circle and stop and start suddenly.

She had adapted it for war by attaching long knives to the centre of the wheels, they stuck out and spun in a blur of silver, cutting through anything that got in their path. The back of the chariot had been opened out so that it had no protection at the back, but instead had a low back plate to allow archers and armoured warriors to jump on and off, to engage and dis-engage in combat at will. Her horse, Albion was dressed in light metal armour around his broad flanks, and his head and feet. In the chariot she looked like a menacing thing of war that could provide an instant threat to any approaching army; her set up was ideal for hit and run. Boudica was part of a evolving section of the army to be of charioteers, as were all her family. Each chariot, that had been unofficially practicing, was dressed and decorated for war and had two archers on board as well as the charioteer. The archers stood at the back, one facing left, one facing right and when engaging in battle would strike with a volley of arrows, delivered on and off board. When their arrows were spent they would be taken away from danger without loss. The chariots did need the right terrain and could not be used anywhere.


Alfos and Yulla watched Boudica's chariot and the five other chariots of her family turn and weave in the big field behind the training ground. Dust rose up in the air and the thunderous noise of the wheels was deafening. One of Boudica's archers was a slender young man called Ao (pronounced 'Aye-Oh'), he was considered by many to be the best shot in the land as his arrows always hit the target. He was said to have the eye of an eagle, the wiry strength of any muscle man and an unerring shot that enabled him to hit virtually anything. As Boudica drove her chariot by the small crowd of onlookers at top speed, Ao launched a single arrow. It spun high in the air, its blue and red feathers rotating, as it arced high before splitting the heart of the far off target of a hanging wicker man.


'I don't know what to do with them,' Alfos said looking down and scratvhing dirt around with his feet.


'Let them play their part, they want to join in,' Yulla said.


'If only it was that simple. They need to fit in, a battle needs to be properly orchestrated,'

 
'Surely you can work something out, we can’t not use them, that would be madness,'


'My father is very worried about all of this, he doesn't even recognise them as part of the army and in a way he’s right, they could be more of a liability than an asset. The enemy could see them as a weak point and use them to win the battle,' he said waving his hand dismissively at the racing chariots, through the high clouds of dust and sand that were causing a storm in the air.

 

‘You’re worrying about things that haven’t happened yet. Anyway why aren’t they recognised? Talk to him, he'll understand. Times have changed, this is different,' she said, her voice strained. She felt angry about all the old traditions that defied logic.

 
'Oh, I will, but I don't know if I'll get anywhere. There are rivers of men coming out of the woodwork. The Druids want to join the fight, the outsiders from no-man’s land keep telling me they are ready, even the old folk want some action. I have more volunteers outside the army than inside it' Alfos said, laughing.


'Well that’s a nice problem to have. There are at least a hundred chariots you know,'


'Then there are the Hibernians, I will have to arrange them, when and if they come,'

'Arrange?' She said, raising her eyebrows and swirling some grass playfully heads though her hands.

 

'Yes, of course, these battles are going to have to planned, if we are to stand any chance,’ he said

 

'And what will your father think of that?' she said smiling mischievously.

He looked at her with a smile, knowing she was mocking him. 'He'll hate it, but realise it’s for the best. I'll have to talk to Wiznia and all the elders too. There's not much time, it’s funny how quickly time slips away,'

 

'It is and I am stuck in limbo land waiting for your brother. What can I do?' Yulla said smiling, her body swaying playfully. She remembered what Boudica had said about Bezon being a dead man,


'Don't you see, you've already helped me. You are my council,’ he looked at her and was envious of his brother, wondering if he was alive.


'Thank you, my brother,' she said, looking him in the eye, as if her words could keep him at bay.


[][][][]



© 2021 BL


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hi BL, we are moving through the story nicely, it is covering such diverse moments. Your historical epic does sing in the mind. Your descriptive moments are immense. I knew I would see Boudicha in a chariot sooner or later. Another wonderful chapter. Have a wonderful Friday....Mike.

Posted 2 Years Ago


As always, I love the scope of your stories. Very grand!

Posted 9 Years Ago


BL

8 Years Ago

Yes this story does cover a wide area. Thank you
Very good chapter, your descriptions of the chariots and their practice is wonderful. You certainly have talent and your English is impeccable. Should be happy if I could write like this. Very well written, B. :) Rudi

PS. Please return the favour by reading one of my chapters of my stories. Would really appreciate it, B.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Pretty Enjoyable reading this!

Posted 9 Years Ago


BL

5 Years Ago

Wa-ha thank you
this is coming together nicely,i enjoyed this chapter

Posted 9 Years Ago


BL

9 Years Ago

As always, thank you for taking the time to review
 wordman

9 Years Ago

you are welcome

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

517 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 22, 2015
Last Updated on December 2, 2021
Tags: romance, kingdom, war, memory, peace, army, luck, hope, power, fear, empire, battle, spy, dust, adventure, fantasy, fiction, mystery


Author

BL
BL

London, United Kingdom



Writing
Nightwalker Nightwalker

A Story by BL


Apple Orchard Apple Orchard

A Story by BL


The Wedding Shirt The Wedding Shirt

A Poem by BL



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..