Chapter 3: Varsity

Chapter 3: Varsity

A Chapter by Kane

They were back on the field. The field they had left almost three years ago. Crow stood in front of the point guard and said: "Let's have a nice match." It was their ball. Oz threw it in and Crow, who was standing on his half of the court, caught it and immediately threw it. The ball soared over the opposing teams head, and with a swish fell through the net. "Three," Crow smirked The pace of the game had completely changed. Crow and the others dominated the game. Crow passed he ball to anyone he wanted and points were made. Nothing could stop them. Before Crow and the others had joined the game, the score was 10:58. At the end of the game, I was 140:60. Crow changed his clothes and then walked out of the gym. At the school gate, someone was waiting and Crow smiled: "Hey June, you saw the game?" "Yeah, why don't you start playing again?" June asked. Crow laughed and said: "I might, but I don't know yet. Would you be the manager of our team again?" "I won't, I quit with your last game," June replied. "I know, but would you start again with me?" Crow asked. Without giving him an answer June started walking away. Crow smiled and then said: "Let's go to Wendy's. I'm hungry, I'll treat you to something."

June agreed and they walked towards a Wendy's close by. Crow ate a Baconnator and a medium coke and June just ate some salad with a medium sprite. Crow ate his burger greedily and yet he watched June out of the corner of his eye. June was picking in her food and after Crow had chewed through half of his burger, he said: "Alright, what is it?"

"Why? Why did you guys suddenly play again?"

"Well, why you ask, but I guess we just wanted to again," Crow simply replied.

June finally started to eat her salad without picking around in it and Crow ate the rest of his burger. The rest of the day was rather uneventful.


The next day Crow walked into his school, tired. In the school, Oz ran towards him.

"Yo Crow, you need to hear this, seems like we're getting a girl as a transfer student, and a smart one at that!"

Crow sighed and said: "You're noisy, shut up."

Oz looked at Crow a bit hurt but then he sat down on his seat with nothing to do but stare at the ceiling. The classroom door opened at the teacher walked in. The door was left open and the teacher started: "Alright, as all of you might have heard, we have a new student here in this class. She walked in with her long blonde hair trailing behind her. She stood in front of the class and introduced herself: "Hello, my name is June Winfield, nice to meet you all." Crow stood up in shock and looked at June: "Why are you here? You were going to St. Michaels just yesterday!" "Yeah, why did you come to a public school?" Oz asked as well. June smiled and replied: "Let's just say, I convinced my parents," completely ignoring Oz. Everyone looked at Crow though, seeing him agitated for the first time.

"Ah geez, I give up, do whatever you want," Crow said and sat back down. Oz suddenly got up from his seat next to Crow and walked to June's actual seat saying: "Sorry Teach, I seem to have gotten the wrong seat. June, you'll have to sit next to Crow." June shrugged and sat next to Crow. Crow sighed and gave Oz an evil glare. Oz grinned as reply and classes started. At lunch break Crow showed June around with Paul. After they had showed her a lot, they walked to the cafeteria. They ate with Oz, Sam and Max and then walked to he gym. June walked to the coach to apply as a manager and the others walked to the changing rooms. After they got changed they stepped on the court. Oz whistled and said: "Lots of people, even some cute girls." Paul hit him on he back of his head and said: "Concentrate man, we're not playing only for the girls." "Not ONLY," Oz replied. June walked towards them and handed them five jerseys. "You'll get your personal jerseys soon. These you will use until then." "Wait, we're Varsity already?" Sam asked, surprised. "Of course, the coach said you turned a game around in two quarters," June explained. "Oh yeah! We did do that," Oz remembered.

"Wait, you don't even remember?" June asked. "Well, we somehow didn't really play seriously so we don't remember," Crow explained. "Alright guys," he started, turning to the other four, "we're putting on the varsity jerseys, let's go." They took a jersey each and walked back to the changing rooms. June walked to the coach and talked with him a bit.

Oz walked out of the changing room after three minutes and looked at his jersey. He had the number 10. Afterwards came Sam with the number 3, complaining about his jersey being to small. Then came Max with the jersey number 5, looking at his shoes. Paul had silently joined them with the jersey number 12. Crow cam out last with the jersey number 15, and he smiled. They walked to June and Oz asked: "Hey June, what are we supposed to do?"

"Have a practice match against the current starting five of the varsity team."

Oz had an evil grin on his face and asked: "Are you sure? We would destroy them."

"Who said that they played yesterday? They said it was unnecessary."

Crow grinned and said: "Sure, but we need a ref who can see us."

"I'll be the ref, no problems with that right?" June asked. Crow smiled and shook his head.

After a few seconds they stepped on the field and saw the true starting five. Paul grinned and asked: "Hey Crow, we can play seriously right?" "Let's start slowly," Crow replied.

The true starting five was incredibly tall but also incredibly nimble. But something surprising happened at tipoff.

The ball was thrown into the air, and Sam who was a few inches shorter than his counterpart, tipped the ball to Crow. He caught it and threw it. June motioned three points but no one noticed her, all eyes were on the ball which soared through the air, and flew through the net with a soothing sound. The entire hall was silent and Crow smiled. "Three," he said. That one word broke the silence and everyone overreacted. the whole hall erupted in cheers, but June stopped them with one blow of the whistle. Three points were quickly scribbled down and Oz frowned: "There he goes, showing off again." Crow looked at the opposing team and said: "This is going to be fun."



© 2013 Kane


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

92 Views
Added on September 30, 2013
Last Updated on October 6, 2013


Author

Kane
Kane

Somewhere over there, Germany



About
I am a person who enjoys reading the work of other people but also like to try writing fantasy novels. Currently running series: None On Hiatus: Alcatraz, Yggdrasil, Fly like the bird you are,.. more..

Writing
Forests Forests

A Story by Kane


Something weird Something weird

A Chapter by Kane