Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by CK Knight

I stomp away from Devin to the student parking lot. I really don’t want to come back to this school, ever. I wonder if I can just homeschool this year. Deep in thought I reach my car and I see the twins and something red. Oh no, the twins are both holding each other crying plus Eddy is there, just staring at them. The twins must have had a bad day like me. Jenny spots me and runs to me with tears flying down her face. I stop and brace for her hug.

  “Rachel, the kids here is just awful,” she sobs in my neck when she hugs me. I stumble back because her weight throws my balance some. “Why are you wearing a new shirt?”

  I pet her hair and look at my brother. He is crying too, but not as bad as Jenny. “What happened?” I ask softly.

  “I have gum in my hair and the kids were calling us the ghost twins. Keep asking us why we kept so close to each other and how weird it is for a brother and sister. Then this one girl called us white trash …” Jenny sobs harder on my neck.

   Great, I have my own drama and now I have twin drama. Plus Eddy drama, why is he here? “Don’t listen to those kids. They are just jealous of you. Let’s go home and eat   something with chocolate in it.”

  “And peanut butter?” She asks as she pulls away from me and wipes her eyes.

  “Yes, my sweet baby sister, we will have chocolate and peanut butter,” I say softly and hold her weepy face.

  She turns and heads back to the car to get into the back seat.

  I look at Eddy, “What are you up to?”

  He looks at his feet, “I missed the buss so I need a ride and you live next door to me.”

  I sigh, “Ok, get in.”

  Eddy looks at me and smiles with a mouth full of braces. He gets in next to Jenny. To my surprise Jake was already in the passenger seat. Wow, they must have had a bad day, they always sit together. I’m about to get into the driver’s side when a mustang GT pulls up behind my car. Its all black with tinted windows, whoever is driving, revs the engine up. Who in their right mind would give a high school kid a GT. The driver’s window goes down, of course, its Ben driving and Devin riding shotgun. What do they want with me now?

  “Like my ride?” asks Ben while lifting up his eyebrows as he revs the engine. I love muscle cars.

  “This is sick!” I say with excitement as I walk up to him.

  I would really like to have a ride in this car. I lean into the driver’s window to check out the controls. I notice he has Nitro gages, so he must drag race. I look over at Devin, I catch him looking down my shirt. I look down fast, crap, I’m exposing my cleavage! I straighten up fast.

  “So, pizza tonight?” he says to me. He must have not gotten the memo from Devin.

  “Not tonight, I’m busy remember?” He looks perplexed and shoots a stare at Devin for a few seconds. Then he looks at me with his eyebrows frowned and searches my face. I feel like he is trying to invade my brain again.

  “Ok, see you tomorrow then,” he says fast and speeds away quick.

  I stand there shocked, those boys are weird. I sigh and get into my rusty car to head home. It’s a quiet ride home, except for Eddy who is breathing heavy. When we get into rental house, Jenny rushes in crying, Eddy yells bye and Jake walks with me. He doesn’t seem as fazed by today’s events like Jenny. Usually, they get equally upset, maybe he's finally starting to mature.

  “I think it’s time for Jenny and me to grow up,” he says to me as we walk up the front porch. “The kids are right, I think. We shouldn’t do everything together all the time. I think I’m going to try out some clubs on my own, can you help me pick some out?”

  I’m speechless; it must have been a bad day. “Sure, I’m doing theater, you want to join me?”

  “Ok, but I want to do some on my own. Maybe I’ll do the math club or the chess club.” He walks in the house before me and heads to his room upstairs.

  I walk in the front door after him. Smoke and booze hit my nose. When my eyes adjust to the darkness of the living room, I see Jenny sitting on the floor with her head in Mom’s tummy. Mom is on the couch, eyes are half open and she is barley petting Jenny’s head, she is totally drunk and ready to pass out. I slam the door, in anger at her.

  “Mom!” I yell. “Have even done anything today? You could have at least opened the curtains.”

  My mom opens her eyes and looks at me trying to do words. Instead, she passes out, her hands fall from Jenny’s head. Great, I’m going to have make dinner for the twins before I go to the coffeehouse. In a huff, I go to grab the garbage can and I place it with her in case she needs to puke, I hate cleaning up after her. I go to our small the kitchen so I can figure out dinner. I start to forage the kitchen, but I need to go grocery shopping because there is nothing to make. After searching, I do find some frozen hamburger, noodles and sauce. I guess it’s going to be hamburger spaghetti tonight. I get busy making dinner. Jenny gets busy eating some chocolate ice cream and peanut butter cookies at the table. While I’m busy cooking I nag at the twins to do their homework and to clean up their rooms. I feel like a 40 year old mother, ugh I’m only 17. While the noodles cook, I change my shirt into a band t-shirt and finally get a bra on.

  Its 5:30, dinner is on the table and I yell for the twins to eat. I’m not going to have time, so I’ll just get a muffin at the coffee shop. The twins sit and start to eat the dinner I made. They both seem to be in a better mood.

  “Ok, I’m meeting a friend at the coffeehouse. I want you guys to clean up and do the dishes. Be sure to leave some for Mom, she will be hungry when she wakes up. Ok, bye guys.” I grab a sweater that’s hanging by the front door and I take some money from Mom’s wallet. She will not even notice I took $20, beside its payment for doing her job tonight.

 The night air is nice for a walk. It doesn’t take me long to get to the coffeehouse, I see Kelly in the window sitting by herself. She sees me and smiles, I bet she is relived I didn’t ditch her. I walk in and stop dead in my tracks. Ben and Devin are here too, busy getting their drinks at the counter, so they have seen me yet. I walk fast over to Kelly so they don’t notice me because I need a break from those two weirdos.

  “Hi,” I say to Kelly as I sit.

  “I’m glad you showed up,” she says and smiles. “I think you have two admires.” She nods her head behind me. I look over my shoulder and I see Ben & Devin walk our way.

  “Can we join you ladies?” asks Ben and smiles at us, Devin just stands slightly behind him staring right at me.

  “Sure!” says Kelly like she is excited to get some attention and I’m just annoyed.

  Ben grabs two chairs and he sits right by me. Devin sits and slouches, I don’t think he wants to be here.

   “So, what are you drinking Jess, Devin will get anything you want,” says Ben as he looks at Devin. Devin looks him a dirt look but nods to me.

  “Ok, a mocha cappuccino, small with skim milk, and a blueberry muffin,” I say and force a smile.

  I really just wanted to hang with Kelly. At least Devin is going to pay for my order so I can keep the $20 in my pocket. Devin leaves to get my request and I sit in silence with Ben and Kelly.

  “Ben, how long have you lived here?” I finally ask.

  “Oh, since I was 4 years old I think. Do you like the town so far?”

  “Yea, it’s seems ok, but I do miss Baltimore and my old high school.” I feel awkward, so I start to tap my fingers on the table.

  “You are from Baltimore, cool. What brings to Virginia?” ask Kelly.

 “My Mom left my Dad after 16 years of marriage. He is a total scum bag and I hate him. My Mom is not that great either, little problem with the bottle,” I can’t believe I just spilled my drama to these two. Oh well, life at high school already sucks, what more rumors about me.

   I see Ben looked confused. “So, you are 16 years old and a senior?”

  I laugh because I get that question all the time. “No, I was the opps that caused my parents to get married in the first place. I’m 17, ready to turn eighteen on Christmas. Yes, having a birthday on Christmas totally sucks. What sucks more is that my Dad always forgets,” I smile.

  To my relief they both smile back at me. Devin comes back with my order. I take a sip of my coffee drink, yum, the mocha is just so good.

  “What’s your mother’s maiden name?” asks Ben.

  “My Mom was adopted, all I know that her adopted parent’s last name is Smith and they are from Willowbrook.”

  “Do you know anything about where she was born?” asks Ben.

  Why is he so interested in my Mother, I sigh, “I don’t know much. My Mom has never told me her past and I don’t want to know.”

  Ben looks and Devin, they pause in a stare, like they are talking with no words. I just sit give Kelly a look while I’m eating my muffin. She looks excited to have Ben and Devin at her side.

  “Wanna go for a ride in the GT?” ask Ben quickly when he turns his head from Devin.

  I’m about to say no because I have to get home, but Kelly screams out a “Yes!”

  I guess we are going for a ride. I finish my muffin quick so we can go for our car ride.

  “Shotgun!” calls Kelly as she runs to the GT.

  “Oh no, that has been reserved for Rachel,” coos Ben as he takes my hand. I want to pull away, but his touch feels electric, sending butterflies in my stomach, I do think I like him. I just smile and let him lead me. He opens the passenger door, moves the seat up so Kelly and Devin get in. Devin looks uncomfortable, because his legs are too long for the back seat.

  “Are you sure you don’t want the front seat?” I ask him because I feel sorry for him. He just shakes his head no as he moves my seat up so I can sit. I get in and Ben shuts the door for me.

  He looks excited as he hops over to the driver’s side. He gets in, starts the GT, the car just purrs.

  “Wow, this car is amazing. You must race, I see you have Nitro installed.” I say to Ben and smile. His car makes him even more desirable, I’m a sucker for American muscle.

  He smiles big and starts to back out of the parking spot. “Yep, a bunch of us kids' race at Trevor’s curve on Saturday nights. I win some and I lose some too. How do you know about Nitro?”

  “I used to go to a local race track. My ex is a street drag racer and he taught me about cars. The only good thing about our relationship was the fast cars. ”

  I see Ben press his lips. “What was his name?”

  “Talon, but he is ancient history.”

  We drive the downtown stretch, this car is so smooth. I can tell it wants to open up and go fast. I look back at Kelly, who has a little smile and is looking out the window. I’m glad she is enjoying the ride too.

   “Where are we going?” I finally ask as we leave downtown Willowbrook.

  “To the graveyard,” he laughs like an evil monster trying to be funny. “We are going to play the famous graveyard game of tag.”

  I hear Kelly laugh with joy, so this must be some local teen game. We get the graveyard. Once Devin gets out, he rushes away somewhere. What is he up to? Ben takes my hand and leads Kelly and me to very old looking mausoleums.

  “This is where the game will start, after you two smell the Moon Flower,” says Ben as he looks at me with evil eyes and a grin. I think he is trying to scare me, but it’s not working.

  Devin comes out from the shadows and he walks toward us holding a beautiful flower. It’s white and looks like a lily. He hands the flower to Kelly. “Take three deep breaths and make a wish,” Devin whispers to Kelly.

  She does as commanded. After she is done, she looks drunk and relaxed. Then Devin hands the flower to me.

  “I know take three deep breaths and make a wish.” I laugh at him and take the flower.

  I’m not going to act silly like Kelly. I get a closer look at the flower. It is just beautiful. I can see the veins in the petals, looks like fine gold, weird.

  I take my first breath of it’s fragrance. This flower smells good, so intoxicating! I take my second and third breaths with my eyes closed. I love its smell, I want more of it. Then I feel Ben take it away. I open my eyes and see Devin in my face. I would be startled, but I feel my head spinning from the flower. I feel him lift my shirt and he put both his hands on my bare skin of my stomach. His touch is like fire that is spreading to thought out my body. He pulls me in close, I feel myself pressed to his body, heat is just radiating from him, and I feel his cheek on my cheek.

  Devin whispers in my ear. “Listen to my words Rachel and obey me. When I let you go, I want you to kiss Ben and go dance with Kelly. I will tell you when to stop. By night’s end you will forget everything.”   

  Devin lets go of me. I feel his fire and desire for Ben fill my body. What did he just say, I’m not sure. My head is spinning and my body feels so weird. I look at Ben, I want to kiss him. I want to kiss those lips of his but Ben is not my boyfriend. Why would I kiss someone that is not my boyfriend? I feel a new fire starting to burn in my belly. My fire, the same fire I felt at school, a fire of defiance. I feel myself shake my head, I’m trying to get my senses straight. I still feel Devin’s fire touch all over my body. I’m conflicted, I want to give Ben a kiss, but I’m so angry to do something ageist my will. The fire of defiance in my belly is getting stronger and it’s spreading to overcome Devin’s touch.

  My mind is clear, I snap back into the reality. I know what Devin did, what he side, I felt him press his body up to mine, and angry tears roll down my cheeks. “Take me home right now!” I demand with tears. “Where is Kelly?” I look around in a panic.

  Those two could have done anything to her with that Moon Flower. Then I spot her, singing and dancing in a circle around a headstone. Ben and Devin look at me in shock, maybe they realize that their little trick did not work on me. I bet there was drugs in that Moon flower to make me feel so crazy. I’m so stupid, I knew better than to go with boys I really don’t know.

  Devin reaches for me, but I back away from him. “Sorry, Rachel, I meant no harm. It was all Ben’s idea.”

  Ben shoots him an evil look. “No, Rachel, it was all Devin. He was trying to use his new drug on you. I have no idea what he said to you or what was in that flower. What did he say?”

  I just look at both of them. They know what they did and now they are trying to play me. I’m not going to be played. “Don’t bullshit me. The both of you have been in working together this whole time. Take Kelly and me home or I’m calling someone. I want to go, right now!” I demand and cross my arms and stand strong, I’m furious.

   Once again, they both have shocked looks on their faces and are speechless. I can’t believe Ben doesn’t have anything to say.

  “Jess, I’m sorry …,“ starts Ben but I cut him off with my hand.

  I walk away from him because I do not want to hear any bullshit. I must get Kelly and leave.

  I walk to Kelly and I take her arm, she is laughing, “Let’s go Kelly.” I tug and she falls into me laughing. She is either drunk or high from that damn Moon Flower.

  “I’ll give you a ride!” yells Ben.

  I stop walking with Kelly. I really have nobody to call, I was bluffing. I have to get a ride from him. I turn back and give him the direst look I can manage.

 “Kelly goes home first and then you drop me off, deal?” I call to him.

   “Deal, lets go.”

  I walk back to the GT and I try to get Kelly to follow me. She just wants to dance and sing. We finally manage to get the car and I see Devin holding a red flower. It looks like a lily too, but it’s a deep red.

   “This is a Mars Flower, it will counter the Moon Flower’s effect,” he whispers to me and hands it to Kelly.

  I snatch before Kelly can get to it, I don’t trust him. “Why should I trust you?”

  “If she doesn’t smell it, the effects of the Moon Flower will last for hours. Just three breaths and she will get back into her senses, but will have a headache. I swear Rachel.” Devin says.

  I trust his eyes, they look honest for once. So I nod and hand Kelly the flower who smells it three times. I watch Kelly start to come out of her drunk crazy state. Then I see pain in her face.

  “Oh, my head hurts, what happened?”

  “Nothing much, you just fell and hit your head,” I lie, I’ll tell her the truth later.

  Kelly and I get into to the back of the GT. It’s a silent ride to the Kelly’s house. I watch Ben closely as he escorts her to the door while holding her arm. When she is on her porch, Ben comes back to the GT.

   “You moved to that rental house on first street right?” he asks, small town I guess he knows everything.

  “Yes,” I say coldly and wrap me sweater around me.

 We park in front of my house and Ben shuts the engine off. What is he up too now? “Are you going to let me out?” I ask with anger in my voice.

 Suddenly, Ben turns in his seat and grabs my head. He looks intensely into my eyes. I feel pain in my head, like his eyes is invading my mind. I grip his hands to try to get him off, but he is too strong and pulls me closer to him. Whatever is he doing, is making my head feel like it wants to explode. When he comes closer to me, he places his forehead on mine. His skin feels electric and the shocks are surrounding my brain. We are eyeball to eyeball, his blue eyes look like blue lighting burning me. Then I see both of these eyes shoot bloodshot. I think my head is going to be electrocuted and I start to cry from the pain.

  “Stop it!” I manage to yell and I feel him finally let go.

  He sits in his car seat trying to catch his breath. “I can’t read her mind and I tried my hardest,” he says breathlessly.

  I see Devin shift to  him, “I can’t persuade her, not even with the Moon flower.”

  Then they both turn to me. “Who is your mother? Who are your ancestors from on your Mother’s side?” they both ask in unison with serious looks.

  I’m still holding my head because I have a massive headache, curtsey of Ben. I start to get angry, “I want out of this car right now and I want the two of you to stay away from me! I had a bad day at school and this past hour has been hell!”

  They both just sit there and look at each other.

  “I guess we better let the lady out. We will her discover her linage,” says Ben to Devin.

  Devin shakes his head in agreement. Devin gets out and moves the seat for me. I’m so angry I storm out of the car and into my house. I slam the front door when I get in making my Mom jump.

  “What’s going on?” she asks from her drunk slumber, but then she goes back to sleep.

  I start to feel tears grow in my eyes. I wish I could tell my Mom everything that happened to me today, but she is not that kind of loving Mother. I go into the kitchen and I’m pissed. The twins didn’t clean up. Dishes are piled up in the sink and the leftovers are on the table uncovered. I put my hands to my head, I just want to run away from this mess my life is. I start to feel myself wanting to cry, I can’t take all this pressure. I turn my heel and run upstairs to my room, slamming the door behind me. I jump on my bed, grab my teddy, and cry myself to sleep.



© 2014 CK Knight


Author's Note

CK Knight
still editing

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
Added on December 23, 2014
Last Updated on December 23, 2014


Author

CK Knight
CK Knight

dekalb, IL



About
I'm new to writing and I want to improve my craft. I work as a graphic designer and I own a silkscreen business. I like to write Romance and Horror fiction. I hope to learn to improve my writing ski.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 - Chapter 1 -

A Chapter by CK Knight