Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Chapter 7 -

Chapter 7 -

A Chapter by CK Knight
"

Rachel forgives Ben and they set their first date. Rachel Father calls her for the first time in weeks and her mother decides to get sober.

"

  “Ok, so I think Ben has fallen hard for you Rachel,” giggles Kelly as we change our clothes.

 “Whatever!” I laugh, “Why do you say that?”

  “Cause I never seen him act like that with a girl. All smiles and giggly, I think you have his head spinning!”

  I laugh and think of Ben. I do like him and I can’t wait till I see him in the hall. I can’t believe I’m not mad at him anymore. Kelly and I say our goodbyes and exchange cell phone numbers so we can meet-up after school. I see Ben, looking hot, waiting for me like he promised.

“Ready for English,” he says.

  “I guess. I don’t like Mr. Hightower. I feel like he is hitting on me and it grosses me out,” I say and I take his hand.

  He blue eyes go wide, he is surprised that I took his hand and I feel him give my hand a squeeze. “I have heard he has done things with the girls, but he never seems to get caught,” says Ben while we walk slowly to class.

  Great, maybe Mr. Hightower has plans for me. We reach the classroom; I want Mr. Hightower to see me I’m with Ben.

  “Hey, can you do me a favor?” I ask Ben before we walk in.

  “Sure, anything.” 

  “Can we walk in holding hands” I smile and blush. “I want Mr. Hightower to see us.”

  He nods yes. We walk into the classroom still holding hands and take our seats. Mr. Hightower doesn’t look at me at all, maybe my plan worked. If he thinks I’m with the king of the school, maybe he will leave me alone. He must be mad either at me or had a bad day because he gave us a pop spelling quiz and a ton of homework for the next day. The bell rings and school if finally out. Ben takes my hand and we walk out of the classroom together. In the hallway, he puts his arm around me and pulls me in close. We get to my locker, I feel his hand on my waist and he puts his face in mine.

  “Can I have just one kiss?” he whispers, with blue eyes full of desire.

  I pull away, “Well, maybe if you take me on a date.” I giggle.

  I feel red. Ben puts is forehead to mine and I see him smile. He is blushing too. I look to my left and I see Devin slowly walking our way. He looks mad with his head down staring at me thru his long hair.

  “I gotta get going, see you at practice,” Ben whispers while giving a soft kiss to my cheek.

 He pulls away from me when Devin stands by us. They stare at each other, like they are having a silent conservation. Then they walk away from me side by side. I fill my bag with books with excitement shooting in my body from head to toe. I can’t believe Ben likes me and I like him. I remind myself I have a ton of homework to do tonight. I think of Ben again, I can’t believe that I let him charm me. I look at my phone for the time, I need to meet up with Kelly and head to the football field. First, I should go to my car to make sure the twins are not looking for a ride.

  I head to the parking lot. When I get there, I see my car, but not the twins. Good, they took the bus. I turn to head to the football fields. I walk slowly and deep in thought over Ben. I’m almost to the fields when I feel my phone ring in my back pocket. I panic when I see the caller ID, my Dad is calling me. I have not talked to him in weeks.

  “Hi Dad, I have not heard from you in a long time,” I say coldly.

  “Rachel, what is going on? Your mother called me this morning all upset that you left. She is very upset with you. Then, I just got a call from school to tell me you didn’t show up for homeroom!” My dad is furious.

  Anger flashes in me. “Did Mom tell you I left because she hit me!” I start having tears form, how dare he try to act like a father now.

  Silence on the other end, he says “No, she failed to mention that. Are you ok?”

I can’t stop the flowing tears because I’m not ok, my family life sucks.

  “Rachel, why are you crying my sweet baby girl? I’m coming out this weekend, we need to spend time together, I miss you. I’m sorry your Mother and I are putting you through all this,” he says sounding very concerned for me and I’m shocked, my Dad is taking responsibility, he always runs when things get tough.

  I stop crying and sigh, “Fine but I have plans with friends on Saturday. We can hang out all day on Sunday if you want. Dad, if you don’t show up, I will never forgive you.”

  His voice softens, “I’ll be there, you can count on it. I’ll sill come over Saturday and do something with the twins. Then Sunday will just be you and I, ok kiddo? I love you so much.”

  I give in to him even though I want to tell him to go to hell, “Ok, see you later, love you bye.” I hang up fast and I feel my cheeks get hot.

  I continue to walk to the field’s bleachers. I see Kelly, she is giving me a big wave from the stands. I go and sit next to her in a huff.

  “What is wrong with you?” she asks me.

  “My Dad is going to try to be a father this weekend. We are spending this Sunday together,” I say like I don’t care. Inside I’m screaming in anger at him.

  “Look on the bright side, at least you have a parent that is trying. I just got told yesterday that my Dad will be stationed in Texas for the next few months. He told me I’m old enough now to be more responsible. He is going to leave me with my Step-monster, ugh.”

  “I’m sorry. Maybe we should just rent a place and live together away from our parents. They can just send us money,” I joked with her because we both need to feel better.

“I wish! Look, there is Darrel, he is number 57. His butt looks good, keep running for me,” she laughs and I see her blush.

  I laugh with her as I search for Devin and Ben. I spot them doing drills with Mr. Banks, the school’s Dean and assistant football coach. This must be the extra drills they had to do as punishment for hurting Rodger. Ben is all sweaty where Devin looks like he could go for more rounds. I think to myself as if I’m talking to them, ‘HI Guys, Ben you are hot, I want you’. Right when I finish my thought both Devin and Ben stop mid drill and stare at the stands. The coach starts barking at them, but they pay him no attention. They spot me and they both wave. Ben blows me a kiss! It was like they heard my thought, weird.

  As practice continues, Kelly and I are not really watching because we talk about our lives more. I tell her about my old boyfriend, Talon, back in Baltimore. He was a 19 year old college student dating a 17 year old junior in high school. I was the scandal at my school, made me popular for about 2 seconds. The relationship didn’t go over very well with my father. Talon was cute, had a nice car, but too controlling over me. Plus he was pressuring me to have sex with him. I’m saving myself for my true love and he couldn’t understand that. He would tell me that he loved me so much, but I never felt the same. Looking back, I was too immature for him. I just like the idea of having an older boyfriend. At the time, I couldn’t understand why he always wanted me to be with him all the time. We had constant fights over me going out with my girlfriends. I broke up with him after 4-months of dating. He was so devastated and kept telling me I didn’t know what I was doing. He stalked me right before my move to Willowbrook. I guess this move was good because it stopping the stalking. It was starting to get scar because he would break into my car to place red roses on the seats. I would see him, in his car, following me everywhere.

 Kelly reveals to me why she feels like an outcast. I guess her first day of school was bad, just like mine. She had the water prank played on her, but lucky she was wearing black so she was just wet all day. Devin and Ben were at her locker too, but after that encounter they wanted nothing to do with her. She said they would be nice, but never go out of their way. She never clicked with anyone and then the rumors started. The worst rumor was that she slept around with the guys. She is not sure who started it, but she suspects Rodger did because he asked her out but she turned him down.

  We are deep in conversation about boys when SMACK! A football hits my knee and bounces off. Ouch, that hurt! I look down at the field and see Ben smiling at me.

  “Ouch!” I yell at him.

  “You are not paying attention!” he yells grinning. “Come here.” He winks at me while gesturing his head.

  I sigh and look at Kelly, who is just grinning at me.

  “He likes you, go,” she whispers.

  I get up slowly and make my way to the fence where Ben is standing.

  “It’s almost time for us to the hit showers. Have pizza with me after?” he says while grasping the railing looking exciting.

  I sigh and think of Kelly, “Ok, can it be a double date with Kelly and Darrell?”

  Ben’s face looks a little disappointed. Then he smiles, “Ok, I’ll ask him, should be no problem. I’m sure you know where the pizza place is, just down from the coffeehouse. How about we meet there about 7, sound good?”

  I try to play it cool, but I’m so excited inside, “Ok, I’ll see you later.” I turn and walk back to Kelly. I feel a huge smile appear on my face. “Let’s go, I have something to tell you!” I squeal and get my book bag.

  Kelly gets her stuff fast and we walk to my car so I can give her a ride home.

  “Don’t freak, we have a double date. Ben and me, and are you ready? Darrell and you!”

   Kelly screams and turns red, “Oh my god Rachel, does he know I like him?”

  “He will now,” I giggle and take her arm as we walk. We get into my car and laugh all the way to her house talking about the boys. I note the time, its 5:30.

 “I’ll pick you up at 6:45, OK?” I ask her.

  She nods yes, and I watch her skip to her door. It’s now time for me to go home and face my mother. I pull up to my house and park in the street like usual. I walk slowly to the house, I’m dreading going in. I open the door and I feel my eyes go wide in amazement because the house is clean and there is no smell of smoke or booze. I hear movement in the kitchen and I can’t believe my eyes when I go into the kitchen.  I see my Mom, cooking and she is out of her normal robe attire and is dressed. She is making dinner and it smells good. She spots me and is startled.

  “Rachel, you came home finally,” she rushes to me and takes my hands. I let her, still in shock of seeing her sober. It’s a miracle. “I’m so sorry for this morning. I’m changing my life and I went to an AA meeting today. I promise you I will never drink again.” She forces a hug on me.

  I’m not sure what do to but I feel anger grow in my belly. Why all of a sudden she wants to change now because she hit me. Why didn’t she decide to go sober three years ago when she left me stranded at school one day after a play? I had to walk home in the streets of Baltimore at night. The next day, she didn’t care that she stranded me. I pull back from her. She has made me so crazy these past few years, I really don’t trust her.

  “It’s going to take more than one meeting Mom to make changes. I have a date tonight, I have to get ready,” I say softly and walk to my room.

  “We have family counseling tomorrow, after school,” she calls to me.

  I pause on the staircase because I don’t want to go to counseling. “Whatever,” I say and go upstairs. I look into Jake’s room where he is doing homework. I look in Jenny’s room and I stop I my tracks. “Jenny! What did you do to your hair?” I ask in shock.

  “I wanted a difference look because everyone keeps calling me a ghost. So mom bought me some red hair dye when we went to the store,” she says and smiles to me. Her hair shines a bright dark red that does not complement her completion. She looks like a clown.

  I sigh, “Ok, if you think it looks nice.” I go to my bedroom. I have an hour, better cram some homework.



© 2014 CK Knight


Author's Note

CK Knight
still in edit mode.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

287 Views
Added on December 27, 2014
Last Updated on December 27, 2014
Tags: teen drama, teen, fantsy, witches, warkloks, magic


Author

CK Knight
CK Knight

dekalb, IL



About
I'm new to writing and I want to improve my craft. I work as a graphic designer and I own a silkscreen business. I like to write Romance and Horror fiction. I hope to learn to improve my writing ski.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 - Chapter 1 -

A Chapter by CK Knight