Chapter 9 - The Rage Inside

Chapter 9 - The Rage Inside

A Chapter by CK Knight
"

Ben and Devin show off their unnatural strength in gym class. Mr. Hightower is going to fail Rachel in English Class. Ben and Devin discover that Rachel is from the Hibbins line of witches.

"

  The lunch room is buzzing like always. Kelly and I are in the school café getting our lunch. I get my yogurt and Kelly gets her cheese fries. It’s not fair that she can eat junk and she stays so thin. We sit at our outcast table.

  “Kelly, you are not going to believe this, but my Mother made breakfast this morning. Then, today we have family counseling after school. I should just blow it off,” I say while eating my yogurt.

  She looks at me mid cheese fry in her mouth. “Sounds like she is trying, you should give her a chance.”

  I roll my eyes, this is not the first time my Mother promised me sobriety. “Your right, this is just the 40th time of her trying.”

  Kelly gives me her sympathy face. We finish lunch and talk about boys. The bell rings, time for gym class which Kelly and I head to the locker room where we go to the outcast lockers. Kelly and I are dressed and ready for gym class where I finally see Ben which I notice that Devin is on the opposite side of him, I guess they are fighting over what happened last night at the pizza place. After roll, we have to do our warm-ups and Ben finally comes over to me with a smile and winks.

  Today’s challenge from the teacher will be pull-ups on a bar. We have challenge partner and need to do as many as we can. No brainier that Kelly and me partner up. I do 5 and she does 4. The rest of the gym class goes. The teacher makes Devin and Ben partners, but I can tell they don’t want to. Devin looks at Ben with malice and Ben gives him the same stare back. They both take off their shirts, hotness! Then they start their pull-ups.

  It’s amazing as they are in perfect unison and neither boy show any signs of slowing. They reach the 100 mark and then the 150 mark of pushups. I see Ben starting to waver, his strength is losing him. Ben stops at 175, his face is red.

  “You’re a beast cuz, a better man than me” Ben says while trying to catch his breath.

  I see Devin tear up a little bit, but he does not waver. He keeps going to 200 and then 250 while still keeping the same pace he started with.

  “Ok Devin, I don’t want to be here all day, 275 is your number of push-ups,” barks the teacher as she marks her clipboard. Devin gets off the bar and stands before me staring at me with those deep blue eyes. He flexes at me and I can’t help but think that he is hot shirtless.

  Then Devin rushes me, hold me tight and whispers in my ear, “You think I’m hot don’t you because I think you are.” He pushes me away and walks to the field while putting his shirt on.

   My stomach gets butterflies, Devin likes me.

 “What did he say to you? Your all red,” asks Ben while staring into my eyes.

  I come to my senses, “Nothing, he is just being his weirdo self.”

  Ben doesn’t believe me, I can tell by his face. Our team plays our little football game, but we lose. Devin and Ben can’t seem to play nice with each other.

  Ben and I walk hand in hand to English after gym class. On our desks is our graded pop spelling quiz. I flip over my paper to see my grade. I think I got a B because I know I missed one. I see my grade and my cheeks go red because I got a C-. I look to see what I missed, just one word number 23. I knew I got that wrong.

  “Ben, what did you get?” I whisper to him. Ben shows me, he got an A but he missed a word, number 19. I’m mad now, how can I miss just one word and get a C-.

  “I got a C- for missing one.” Ben takes the paper from me and looks angry too.

  Devin walks into the classroom while looking at the floor. I feel him sit down at the desk behind me and I have to ask him what he got.

  I spin around in my seat, “What did you get?” I whisper.

  Devin looks annoyed, but lifts his paper for me to see. He missed three words and got a B, what the hell! I show him mine and his face looks shocked. He knows my grade is unfair. I’m mad so I get up in a huff and walk to Mr. Hightower’s desk to show him my quiz, he must have made a mistake.

 “Mr. Hightower, I only missed one word and you have game me a C-. I think something is wrong,” I say, trying to be as respectful as I can.

 Mr. Hightower takes the paper from me. “Oh yes, number 23 was worth the most points on the quiz. Missing that one did hurt you. I can help you with your spelling with private tutoring,” he says with an evil grin. “OH, I hope the homework you turn in today is perfect. I hate to fail you. Trust me Rachel, private tutoring will help you grade in this class. Oh, there is extra credit available, but only to the students I tutor.”

  I snatch the test from him in a fit of anger. Who does he think his is? Is he really going to hold my grade hostage, “I’ll think about tutoring.” I say to him, Mr. Hightower smiles because he looks like he just won something. I feel sick to my stomach.

 “Rachel, I have some news about basketball. Next Wednesday, a select group of girls and I are going to do a pre-try out session. I want to get a feel on how some of the girls play. Please join us after school in gym number four,” says Mr. Hightower. I feel him looking at my body.

  “Ok, I’ll be there,” I say and walk away with tears starting to fill my eyes.

  I need to bust this guy and get him fired. He needs to be arrested and thrown in jail for being a pervert. Ben looks at me with concern, he heard the whole conversation. I look over my shoulder at Devin and he is giving Mr. Hightower an evil stare. I sit in a huff. Ben is so kind he reaches and pats my leg to show me some comfort.

   I feel Devin move toward me in his seat and whispers in my ear, “I have a plan to get that a*****e if you are willing.”

  I turn to him and shake my head yes. The final bell rings and class starts. Mr. Hightower seems happy this time and he doesn’t give us too much homework. The final bell rings, it’s the end of school. Ben and I walk out of Mr. Hightower’s classroom holding hands. We walk in the hall together, I still feel sick from Mr. Hightower’s actions.

  Devin suddenly appears next to Ben’s side. “We need to plan to take down for Mr. Hightower for once. I have a plan, but Eddy will need to grow a moon flower. Rachel will need to be involved. Do you think we can get along now?” asks Devin.

  I thought Devin was the one being a jerk, but it must be Ben who started the fight.

  Ben stops and pulls me in to him, “You might as well hear this Rachel. Devin, you have to get Samantha under control and Rachel is not interested in you. She is going to be my girlfriend. I sensed what you said to her in the gym.”

  I’m so confused about what Ben just said about Moon Flowers and getting Samantha under control. Plus, I’m embarrassed at what he said to Devin about me.

  “Ok, more weird talk. What is a Moon flower?” I ask and look between Ben and Devin.

  They are having an intense stare down. Then Devin looks down, defeated.

  Ben turns to me and smiles. “I will tell you everything on Saturday. After you go shopping with the girls, all of you will come back to my house. However, Kelly is not welcome at my house. I want you to meet my father and I will tell you my secret, I promise,” he says and kisses me on the head.

  I’m not sure how to feel. Ben is acting weird, like he is in control of everything, including me. I let go of his hand.

  “Ok, I have to get my locker and drive the twins home. My Mom, is having us go to counseling,” I laugh nervously. I feel caution fill my belly when looking the cousins now. I back away smiling then turn on my heel to leave.

  “See you tomorrow,” calls Ben, I cringe.

  I get home with the twins and my Mom standing next the mini-van. I guess we are going to counseling after all. I’m surprised she still looks sober.

  “Ready to go my babies,” she says with a smile and opens the door for my siblings. When they get in she gets in the passenger seat, I guess I’m driving.

  I get in the driver’s side, “Where to Mom?”

  “The Sally Center on Maplewood Drive, its just 10 minues away.”

  I pull out and start heading to the center. I look in my rear view mirror and see Ben’s GT. What is he doing, stalking me? I pull in Sally Center’s parking lot and I see the GT speed away. I guess Ben was following me or it could have been Devin, the GT has tinted window so I really couldn’t see. Why would either one follow me? Did they not believe my after school story? I just sigh and get out of the car and decided that I’m not going to have another controlling boyfriend. I’ll confront Ben later.

  We get inside the center and each of us has to fill out a form about our feelings.

Do you feel depressed? No

Do you feel Happy? Home life no, personal life yes

Do you feel alone? Only at home

Do you feel paranoid? No

Do you feel like killing yourself? No, never.

  Damn, this form is so stupid. I fill out the rest trying to keep upbeat. We get in the counseling room and a little funny lady walks in. She is short, fat and middle aged. She looks over our questioners. She tells us to call her Jane and she will help heal our wounds.

  “Rachel, can you tell me why your family is here?” she asks me.

  Time to be honest, I’m not going to hold back, “Because my Mom is a drunk and my Dad is a drunk plus a womanizer.”

  Hmmmm goes the funny lady, “How does that make you feel?”

   I roll my eyes, “Angry. I wish that I was born to parents who wanted me. I have heard more that once from both my parents that I was a mistake.”

  I hear my Mom start to cry. I don’t care because she needs to feel a little bit of pain. I sit there with my arms closed and I look at the floor.

  “How are you doing at school?” she asks me.

  “I do great. I’m a straight A student and I’m involved. I’m determined to get into a good college with scholarships so I can make a good life for myself.” I say proudly.

  “Great but your anger toward your parents will be your downfall my dear. We will work on your issues so you can start healing” she says calmly while looking at me with soft eyes.

   I wonder if she feels sorry for me. Jane continues to ask questions for each twin and then my Mom. When we are done, she gives us homework, “I want each of you to say, I love you, before you leave to start your days. It will help to start the healing process.”

 I get up in a huff and walk out first. I feel like I wasted an hour. We get in the van to go home, of course I’m driving.

  “Let’s have pizza for dinner, sound good Rachel?” asks my mother.

  The twins yell in excitement. I roll my eyes, “Fine, the pizza place here we go.”

  I turn the corner to head downtown to the same place I ate at last night. I look in the rear view mirror, there is the GT again. What the hell is going on with the cousins, I don’t like to be followed. I park in the street and the twins get out with mom and ask her for quarters. They want to play the video games. I get our slowly and watch the GT pull up next to me. The passenger window rolls down and its Devin, Ben is driving.

  I lean in the window, “Stalking me?” I look right at Ben with my best angry face.

  “We were just checking on you. You left so abruptly, we wanted to make sure we didn’t scare you.” says Ben while smiling at me.

  I’m annoyed, “I told you I was busy, I do have a life beyond high school.”

  “Ok, just making sure my girlfriend is ok. Can we join you? I would like to meet your Mom,” says Ben and looks to me with hope. I look at Devin and spy him looking down my shirt again.

 I sigh, “Fine, let’s go.” I go walk into the pizza place followed by Ben and Devin.

 I motion my Mom over, who was sitting at a booth, but now we will have to pick out a bigger table in the center of the room.

 “Mom, this is Ben … um… he is a guy I had a date with.” I manage to squeak out while feeling flush, she has no idea what has been going on in my life. I’m not ready to call him a boyfriend. “This is Devin, his cousin. They are going to join us for pizza if that is ok with you.”

 “Oh, I didn’t know you were dating. How come you never told me?” she says sounded wounded, but deep down she knows why.

 “Good to meet you Ben and Devin.” We take our seats, Mom and I sit together. Ben sits across from me and Devin sits across from my Mom. The twins will have to sit at the end when they are done with video games.

  The waitress comes over. “Separate checks?” she asks.

  “Nope, this is my treat. Please put it on my tab ok Betty?” says Ben and gives me a wink.

  “Your the boss Ben, what can I get everyone to drink?”

  We all order cokes and my Mom, thanks Ben for paying for dinner. I start to hear the twins argue over quarters.

  “Rachel, go get changed and give to the twins,” says Ben and hands me a five dollar bill from his wallet.

  “Ok, I’ll be back,” I give him a smile of thanks and leave to find the change machine.

  The machine is way in the corner by the video games. I wave the twins over to me and give them a massive amount of quarters. I look over to Mom and see her in a tense conversation with the boys. I should rescue her or them, but I feel like playing a game.

  “Who wants to challenge me at air hockey?” I ask the twins with a smile.

  “I do!” yells Jake and runs the machine.

  Jenny goes and pays packman. We play for a long time. I get a score and then Jake gets a score. Soon he wins and his happy he beat his older sister. I look at the table and still see the intense conversation is going on. I better go over there but first I have to get the twin’s pizza order.

  I get back to the table, “Miss much?”

  “No, your Mom was telling us about her parents. Her real parents,” says Ben with a smile.

  “Oh, you never told me Mom,” I say annoyed.

  “I know dear but I should have,” she says pets me on the back. The waitress comes over and takes our pizza order.

  “So, where are you from Mom?” I ask when the waitress leaves.

  “I was born in Boston, my parents were unwed. I’m not positive, my Father’s name was Rick Wilson and my Mom’s name was Claire Hibbins. They both died in a car accident when I was four, so I really don’t remember much. The boys keep asking me about Claire but I really don’t know much about her, sorry,” she says looking down at her hands like she is keeping something from me.

  “It would be amazing if you are related to the Hibbins line. My father is really into the Salem witch trials and has been doing genealogy all his life. I heard him say that the Hibbins line died out. Did you know that there was this women name Ann Hibbins. Ann was hung as a witch in Boston in 1656. That pre-dates the Salem Witch trials,” say Ben with a smile. He seems really into history.

  “Wow, that so interesting,” I say sarcastically and take a drink from my straw.

  History is so boring to me. Ben talks more about the Hibbins line and I’m so bored. Devin is bored too and starts to mimic Ben. I can’t help but giggle at him. I thank my stars when I see the pizza come, I heard enough about the Hibbins line. I call the twins over and we all start to eat.

  “Who are these guys?” whisper Jenny to me after she scarves down a piece of cheese pizza.

  I look at her, “The blond is Ben, a boy I’m seeing, and the other guy is Devin.“

  Her face turns red which matches her hair, she always flushes when I say the word ‘boy’, I smile at her.

  Ben must have heard me, “So, you two are twins?”

  “Yes,” says Jake, he seems annoyed.

  “Ben looks at me. Twins are powerful in the Hibbins line, I can’t wait to find out if you guys are related,” he seems so excited about this.

  Whatever is what I think of Hibbins. We finish up dinner and the boys escort my family and me the van. Devin is a gentleman but he looks like hoodlum all dressed in black, but he opens the door for the twins and my mom.

  Ben is all focused on me, on the driver’s side. He pulls me in close, “I know your Mom is watching us, but can I have a kiss?”

   I sigh and give him a quick peck on the lips. We pull back and he starts to put my hair behind my ears while analyzing my face.

  “I can’t believe you may be a Hibbins. That would explain so much. I will find out Saturday when my father meets you,” he whispers and kisses my forehead.

   I have no idea what he is talking about. On my way home, I think about Ben and his now Hibbins obsession.



© 2014 CK Knight


Author's Note

CK Knight
still in edit mode. Please give tips.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

270 Views
Added on December 28, 2014
Last Updated on December 28, 2014


Author

CK Knight
CK Knight

dekalb, IL



About
I'm new to writing and I want to improve my craft. I work as a graphic designer and I own a silkscreen business. I like to write Romance and Horror fiction. I hope to learn to improve my writing ski.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 - Chapter 1 -

A Chapter by CK Knight