Chapter 6 -

Chapter 6 -

A Chapter by CK Knight

  I awoke the next morning, still in my clothing from last night. I fill grit in my mouth because I need to brush my teeth. I feel old makeup on, so I need to wash my face and take a shower. I lie on my back and look at good old teddy. He is just a brown bear, but he is my bear, a companion since I can remember. His left ear is chewed up, from me when I was little. His stitching is coming out in parts, from me squeezing him too hard when my parents were yelling at each other. I set him down gently on my pillow and I get up slowly. If I take a quick shower, I may be able to clean up downstairs before the twins need their breakfast.

  I feel better now that I showered, like the stress washed away. This is a new day I tell myself, so I head downstairs with a little skip in my step. The couch is empty and I hear dishes clinking together in the kitchen. Wow, my Mom must be up and doing some work for once.

  “Morning Mom,” I say as I get a glass to pour me some OJ. I’m happy to see her up. I open the fridge, grab the juice and pour.

  I watch my Mom at the sink as I take a swig of juice and I see her body tense, her movements tell me she is pissed off. She turns to me, she looks furious.

  “I can’t believe this mess you left for me! Dried up sauce and pasta on plates, you know better! You know I’m not well and then I wake up to this pig sty, what is wrong with you Rachel? I need your help now!”

  I feel tears in my eyes as I clinch my glass OJ. I slam my glass hard on the counter, how dare she say that to me. I have done nothing but help her drunken a*s for months now.

  I look her dead in the eye, “If you weren’t so drunk all the time, maybe you would realize that I do a lot around here! I told the twins to clean up last night, they can help out too you know!”

  My Moms face twists in anger. Like in slow motion, she rushes me, I see her hand rise and pain stings my check, she just slapped me hard. I hold my face, shocked, and I start to tear up more. I hear the twins cry out by the kitchen doorway, they must have seen and heard everything. I look at them and I look at my Mom. She looks remorseful, like she feels bad for what she just did.

  She reaches for me, “I’m sorry my sweet girl, I know you do a lot for me.”

  I pull back because I don’t want her to touch me. “You need help Mom, professional help for your drinking.” Then I look at the twins, “You two need to take the bus today.”

   I run past the twins and I grab my book bag as I stomp out. I hear my Mom call my name frantically, but I ignore her. I get into my crappy car, which is parked in the street, and leave. My cell phone starts to blow up, but I ignore it because I know it’s her calling me.

  Tears start to flow as I head east toward my school. I’m so upset with how my life is right now. I should just go back to Baltimore. I have not spoken to my father in weeks, I have no idea how he would react if he saw me. Maybe I can live with a friend or couch jump. I know a few that I know will take me in. At least I can be with my friends, my true friends.  

   I pass the turn to school, I just drive east. Soon, I’m out of Willowbrook, headed toward Oakbrook. I see a sign that says, 400 miles to Baltimore. I should just go and leave this place in my dust. I look at the time, if I turn around now I can just make it to homeroom. I don’t turn around, I keep going east, I’m going home. I look in my rear view mirror, oh no, I see the GT. The windows are tinted so I can see who is driving it. How long have they been following me? I see a gas station on my right side and I need to confront whoever is driving. I slow, turn the wheel and stop my car in a spot. The GT follows and parks right behind me, I’m trapped. I don’t get out of the car but I see the driver of the GT get out, its Devin. What the hell is he doing following me? I get out of my car in a huff.

  I stand there with my arms crossed, “Why are you following me?”

  He looks at his feet, moves to the trunk of my car, “You looked upset. Ben and I wanted to make sure you were ok. We didn’t mean to trick or hurt you last night. Ben is back at the school, doing some football thing or he would be with me. Please don’t leave, we didn’t mean any harm.”

  That is the most I ever heard Devin speak. I do need to go back to Willowbrook because I can’t leave the twins with my drunken Mother.

  I sigh. “Ok but just so we are clear, I’m not going back for Ben or you. My brother and sister need me.”

  I get back in my car and follow Devin back to school. I’m deep in thought; before I know it, I’m parking next to the GT. Devin gets out and gestures, his head to follow him. I know I missed homeroom but we can still make it to science class on time. We walk silently together to science class. I get to my table, Devin sits but I still stand. I cannot be his partner all semester, he is creep.

  I walk fast to the teacher. “Mr. Wilson, I need to switch tables. I will not be able to work with Devin,” I say.

  The teacher looks at the seating chart, but I see the pain form on his face. He looks at me with squinty eyes, I see him try to say something, but he can’t mustard the words. He finally blurts out, “Devin, Rachel, Mouse and Tank all must stay partners. Sit back at your table.” Sweat starts to trickle on his white face.

  He looks sick, I ask him “Are you OK Mr. Wilson?”

  “I’m fine Rachel. You must go back to your table. I have to start class.”

   I don’t want to go back to that table. I know the whole class heard our conversation. I turn and face the students and just as I feared, everyone is staring at me, except Devin. I slowly walk back to the table while avoiding eye contact. Class is boring because we just talked about cells, soon the bell rings. I don’t even look at Devin, Mouse or Tank.

  “See you at gym,” whispers Devin and leaves.

  I walk slowly to math class and take my seat. Eddy walks in after me,

   “Hi Rachel!” he yells and takes the seat in front of me.

  I just smile, but I really don’t need this right now.

  “Your sister said you left and she didn’t think you were coming to school. So, I’m glad to see you. Do you know anything about cicadas? They are due to come out of the ground this year and I’m so excited because this only happens every seven years. Your sister and I are planning on looking for some …”

  I cut him off, “Eddy, I have a headache, please turn around and stop talking.” I see the wide smile leave his freakily face.

  I hear him clear his throat, “I followed you last night, where did the cousins take Kelly and you? Did you smell the Moon Flower? That maybe why you have a headache.”

   How does he know about the moon flower? “I have a headache because of your voice. Yes, I smelled the moon flower, no effect on me. Please, I need some peace. Oh, I’m not giving you or the twins a ride home today.” I see his eyes go wide, like I said something weird.

  “Could you be? I do feel something, like an aura around you. What is your Mother’s maiden name?” he asks me with wide blue eyes, I think his hair just turned redder.

  I had enough of him. I get up out of my seat and more to the back of the class. Eddy just looks dumfounded but I think he took the hint because he finally turned around. Emma walks in and avoids me like she did in science class. I can’t wait till lunch so Kelly and I can talk. However, I have study hall first and the three girls will be waiting for me. Math class just sucked, we got a packet of homework which is due Friday. The bell rings, time to for study hall.

  I make way to the study hall, classroom, pick a table and start doing my math packet. I’m so focused I’m starting by female voices. “Hi Rachel,” they all say in unison.

  I just look up from my math homework and smile. They all sit.

 “So, I heard you smiled the Moon flower. What did Devin make you do? He would now tell me,” says Samantha.

  I look up, annoyed. Does the whole school know what happened last night? “Nothing, I just got pissed off at them.”

  All three stare at me like I’m abnormal. They are speechless.

  “What does that mean?” Leslie asks Victoria.

  I’m eager to know what that means too, why it seem so important.

  “I’m not sure,” whispers Victoria.

  All three girls just stare at me, like they are trying to feel something or read my mind. I sigh and continue to do my math homework. I have no idea why everyone is acting weird. Soon, I hear the girls start to gossip about other students.

  “Rachel, want to go cloths shopping with us Saturday?” ask Victoria.

  I look up from my homework. I don’t want to hang or be in this group. Plus, I really don’t have the money to shop, I say, “I don’t have the money to buy anything.”

  Victoria smiles, “That’s ok! I’ll ask Ben to let us his credit card, he will do it for you.”

  I don’t want owe Ben anything, “No, thanks.”

  The three girls look disappointed, then Lesley speaks up, “Well, we still want to hang out with you. We can just window shop.”

  I like Leslie because she makes me feel good for some reason. “Ok, just window shop,” I say. I have no idea why I agreed, I guess it’s something to do.

  The three girls look happy. The bell rings, time to go to lunch and I can talk to Kelly. I make my way to the lunch room and I find Kelly sitting by herself. She smiles at me when she spots me.

   “Where were you in homeroom?” she asks.

  I feel like telling her everything but I pick what I want to say, “This morning my Mom smacked me in the face so I took off. I almost went back to Baltimore.”

  Kelly face drops in concern, “I’m sorry! What happened?”

  “I told you my Mom is a drunk. She just went off on me for some reason and I talked back. I told her she needed professional help for her drinking problem.”

  “Damn, I thought my parents were messed up. My Mom split when I was five so I live with my Dad. He is in the military so we move all the time. He just married so I have an evil Step-monster, she is always ragging on me.” says Kelly.

  I now feel like we have something in common, we hate our parents. We talk more about our messed up family lives and we get our lunch. I spot Eddy, Devin and Ben are talking quietly in the far corner and looking at me. I feel my stomach jump when I see Ben. He is so cute, like Justin Timberline cute, he should join a boy band. Gym class is going to be weird because I will have to talk to him since we are on the same team. I watch Ben, oh no, he is starting to walk toward me, I stiffen up and Kelly notices.

  “What is wrong?” she asks.

  “Ben is heading this way,” I whisper, her eyes widen.

  Ben takes a seat next to Kelly, “Hi Kelly, hope it’s ok if I sit here.”

  “Sure,” Kelly says, trying to be causal.

  Ben just looks at Kelly, “Kelly, ask Rachel if she is mad at me.”

  Kelly smiles, I’m annoyed. Just ask me coward, what is this 7th grade again?

  “Yes I’m mad and I don’t trust you,” I say.

  Ben’s mouth twists like he is in deep thought. “Football practice is after school, you should come watch us Kelly, bring your friend Rachel.” Ben looks at Kelly.

  Now I know what he is doing, he is going to use Kelly to get to me.

  “Yes, love to!” squeals Kelly. She thinks she just hit the social jackpot.

  “Rachel, you will sit with me, right?” I sigh, Kelly looks so excited.

   I give in, “Yes, I’ll go.” I roll my eyes.

  Ben smiles a big toothy grin, “Great! See you girls in the gym!”

 Ben walks back to Devin. Where he points to him and they leave together out of the cafeteria, leaving Eddy alone. I watch him eat a smashed homemade sandwich.

  Kelly looks at me and smiles, “Ben likes you Rachel! OMG the king of the school is crushing hard on you. Maybe we can double date with his friend Darrel. I really like him. He is the kicker on the team. I can’t wait to see him in uniform later, his butt looks so good.”

   I can’t help but smile at Kelly. She is so excited and I see her blush. The bell rings and we walk arm to arm to the gym. We laugh and talk more about boys. We get to the locker room and head toward the outcast gym lockers to get ready for gym. I notice deep scars on Kelly’s back when she takes off her shirt, they look like whip scars.

  “How did you get those?” I ask her looking concerned.

  I see her stiffen up and her face goes white, “From a long time ago, I don’t like talking about it.” I just nod at her, I will not pressure her to tell me.

  We get out to the gym just in time for roll. The gym teacher barks orders at us, “Ok people, we will do some warms up before going out to the field. I want 20 jumping jacks, lunges, and sit-ups. Then I want you to do as many push-ups as you can. I will record your number so we can track your improvements.”

  Ugh, I hate gym. I start doing the jumping jacks with little effort. I noticed Ben and Devin make their way toward Kelly and me while doing their jumping jacks.

  “Hi girls,” says Ben breathlessly and gives me a wink.

   I just smile, he is charming with those blue eyes and cute blond hair. While we do our workouts Ben keeps making faces at me. I can’t help but giggle at him, he is so silly. Then we do our pushup. For some reason Devin and Ben take their gym shirts off. Damn, both of these boys are hot and ripped with muscles. Devin is leaner than Ben, I can see his ribs. They both give each other a high five and get in pushup position. I try not to stare at their bodies while I make an effort doing my own pushups. I end up doing only 30. Kelly ended up doing 50. I noticed that Eddy only did 10. When we are done, Kelly and I stand next to each other and watch the cousins.

  Then I realize, Devin and Ben are in competing with each other. With each pushup they yell out how many they have done. They both hit 100 with no problem at the same time. The whole class is done and everyone starts to watch them now, so is the teacher. I see Ben start to struggle when they reach 150.

 “Started to slip,” I giggle to Ben.

  That must have sparked something inside him because he picks-up his pace with Devin. Devin is a push-up beast because he shows no signs of slowing down as he calls out 190. Whoa, almost 200 pushups and he doesn’t even break a sweat. Ben is only at 181, is shiny with sweat and is starting to slow even more.

  “I’m done, 191,” says Ben and sits back trying to catch his breath. I stare at his chest, it’s just ripped and is wet from sweat.

  Devin is still going strong with the pushups, he show no signs of slowing. Soon he is up to 225, I can’t believe it! I can see his arms and back muscles are ripped more and working harder. For someone so slim, he has great muscle tone.

  “Ok Devin, stop!” yells the teacher, I’ll mark you for 250, I think that is a record.” In his quiet way, Devin sits back on his heels and smiles at Ben.

   Ben just shakes his head and gives him a high five. Devin looks up at me and flexes his chest muscles for me. Wow, that was hot! I feel myself blush and get tingles. Like a flash, Ben jumps up and his arm takes me by the waist.

  “Are you checking my cousin out,” he giggles in my ear, “You should be checking me out baby.”

  I look into his blue eyes and I can feel myself get red. I look at his naked chest and grin. I do like Ben and he is hot. I start to feel my anger toward him fade, I think I like him. Ben and I stand there, his arm feels strong around my waist and we look into each other eyes. Time is standing still. I love how blue his eyes are and his lips look so kissable, I think I want to kiss him.

  “Break it up you two!” yells the teacher. Our staring trance, breaks, he lets me go. “Time to play some ball, head outside class. Ben and Devin get your shirts back on and no roughhousing this round, this is no touch game.”

  Our little team of five walks to the field together. Ben and I keep exchanging glances and smile at each other, flirting. I’m having fun flirting with him, he is giving me butterflies. Devin just ignores me and leads our team to the field. We play the game and of course we win because Ben and Devin just dominate. As we walk back, Ben walks next to me. His hand touches mine sometimes, like he wants to hold my hand while he walk. I smile to myself.

  “I’ll walk to you to English,” he says as we go our separate ways to get change. I nod a yes as I turn to the girl’s locker room.



© 2014 CK Knight


Author's Note

CK Knight
still in edit mode.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
Added on December 23, 2014
Last Updated on December 23, 2014


Author

CK Knight
CK Knight

dekalb, IL



About
I'm new to writing and I want to improve my craft. I work as a graphic designer and I own a silkscreen business. I like to write Romance and Horror fiction. I hope to learn to improve my writing ski.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 - Chapter 1 -

A Chapter by CK Knight