Dangerous Curves Ahead

Dangerous Curves Ahead

A Poem by Cherrie Palmer

Gently I remove the map from my gear.

Those who blazed before me carefully marked the way.

Each of them leaving me detailed notes.

I had meant to check the map before this crossroad,

but had become so entrenched I forgot till now.

It was at this moment in time I realized.

That though the path seemed the same.

The note I was about to add,

 matched neither,

my mother’s or my grand’s.

So, to those that follow,

I write:

dangerous curve ahead.


© 2023 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Though we travel the same road as those who came before, the journey is always our own unique experience. Sometimes the warning signs are missed if our noses are buried too deeply in the map. We have to look up and see the open road before us with our own eyes. What springs to mind...."Life is a highway, and I wanna ride it all night long".

Posted 5 Months Ago


Hi there Cherrie,
This is such an endearing poem...it speaks of many things behind the wonderful metaphors.
Life has many turns and loads of ups and downs...
No one can give the recipe to life...we just need to go around every dangerous curve and make the right decisions...
Clever thoughts... we all have our own lives and our very own special path.
We all need to be careful not to get caught up in other peoples paths because if we do then we might always be trailing behind them...
I so enjoyed this.
Lisa

Posted 11 Months Ago


Cherrie Palmer

11 Months Ago

Thank you Lisa and it's true. No outcome is exactly the same. We just have to forge ahead.
Different shoes with a different path. Predictions futile. Legacy paces us. I really like the subject choice. Great work.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

Duff, great to see ya swing over for a visit, and thank you :) can't wait to see what you've been up.. read more
Hmm, the road to life has no true map. This is what I got from this poem on reading it again. I liked the way you put it. So meaningful and well-written. tyfs

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

Even if we follow the steps of another there is no guarantee that the outcome will be the same.
Cherrie, well-written poem that effectively communicates its message through vivid imagery and metaphor. It reminds me of the importance of being cautious and aware, not only when traveling but also in our everyday lives. It reminds me that even when we think we know the way, we should always be prepared for unexpected turns and obstacles. Wonderful work!


Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

Thank you Arthur.
I felt like you are writing about legacy in this poem. And each generation leads the next in notes on the map of life. With the change of our society that road shifts, and the best thing we can do for our children is stay on the road moving the signs to where we think they might need them. The path seems more and more treacherous all the time!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

Yes the stakes seem higher at every turn.
Very well done. I'm always interested I'm knowing more about my past relatives. Many of them were a little wacky, or very interesting in other ways. 😁😁

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

The old family tree can be most colorful. :) I'm always interested in those who paved the way.
Franky

1 Year Ago

Me too. I think it's terrible that I've met very few of my ancesters....aunts uncles or cousins. .. read more
We can warn of the dangerous curves ahead but will the ones that follow us take heed? We choose our own path and set our own compass. We learn by our mistakes. Good use of metaphor here Cherrie.

Chris

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

Thank you 😊 Chris.
The detailed notes that they leave can guide us yet never lead the way as the terrain, the topography and the weather change. Moving ahead, its never the same world and so being somewhat similar its yet so different. The curves that wait for us will always be unseen and no amount of wisdom from the past, precious though it is, can help us deal with them perfectly. You have given us such a powerful metaphor on life and the value of wisdom handed down by the generations. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

:) thank you Divya. It's true each generation must choose how they handle things and what will be th.. read more
DIVYA

1 Year Ago

Indeed, the choices change with time...
You're most welcome Cherrie!
This poem strikes me as an allegory for mankind’s generations as we stumble forward bit by bit passing along our accumulated knowledge and correcting past mistakes.

Winston

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

Yes in a small way I think it is.
Thank you Winston

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

264 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 21, 2023
Last Updated on April 22, 2023

Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..