Chapter 1: The big news

Chapter 1: The big news

A Chapter by White Rose
"

This chapter starts out with Nara at school doing some school work in one of the meanest teacher's classroom, you'll see how mean she is. And this is also the chapter that sadness starts rolling in on Nara's heart.

"

 

 

 

       A sound of a whip crackling alarmes everyone. Nara shoots up from her school work. 

       "How do you spell social studies, Graig?" The short orential teacher asks while tapping her hand with her ruler.

       A young boy with short blonde hair stands up beside his desk, fear running throughout him, which can be seen. 

       "Um, social studies, s-o-s-h-o-l s-t-u-d-e-s," he manages to say through chattering teeth.

       "Wrong, sit down. Stacy, spell social studies," the teacher commands. 

       Graig quickly sits down as Stacy stands up.

       "Social studies, s-o-s-h-a-l s-t-u-d-e-s, social studies," she says quite confidentally.

       "Wrong, sit down," the teacher commands.

       She scans the room for the next victim. A sinister smile creaps across her face, she found it.

      "Nara, how do you spell social studies?"

      Nara stands up from her desk, unafraid.      

      "Before I answer I have just one question," she says to the teacher.

      "What," the teacher growls.

      "How do you spell densetsu," she asks.

      "Densetsu, d-e-s-i -t-u, densetsu."

      "Wrong, d-e-n-s-e-t-s-u. Seems I have found a word you can't spell, Ms. Woodson." Nara says.

      Ms. Woodson chuckles, "Stupid child you are wrong.

      "No you are, check the dictionary, a japanese dictionary."

      "Fine, but first, spell social studies."

     "Social studies, s-o-c-i-a-l s-t-u-d-i-e-s, social studies."

     "Correct, thank you."

     Nara sits back down in her seat and rolls her eyes.  Suddenly the intercom comes on.

     "Teachers, all buses are here and it's time for the students to go home. Have a great weekend," it says.

     "Pack up," Ms. Woodson orders the class. Every student grabs their belongings and heads for the front doors. Once out the school, she pushes her way to the bus. Once on the bus she sits in the third seat to the front. Moments pass and the bus is crowded and noisy. Then a redhead with straight hair gets on the bus and stops in front of Nara.

     "Hey monster freak, scoot in," she says to Nara.

     "Hey cinderella-wanna-be, go kill the prince and get killed by his kingdom and do us all a favor," Nara spits.

     "Ruby's not going to approve of that," some people mutter.

     "Then get up so I can scootch in," she says with a smile.

     Nara smiles and gets up. Ruby scootches in and Nara sits back down.

     "So how was your day in Ms. Woodson's today?" Ruby asks Nara.

     "Has my answer ever changed this year?"

     "No," Ruby chuckles.

     "It stunk again," Nara says, "What about your day?"

     "P.E. stunk, but other than that it was okay," Ruby answers.

     "Well, I guess we can't really complain," Nara says looking at the isle.

     "You can," Ruby says looking at Nara.

     "Naw."

     "Yeah, you don't have any friends besides me."

     "True but," Nara looks back at Ruby, "you are all that I need to be my friend."

     Ruby looks at Nara dumbfounded.

     "You sure?"

     "Yeah," Nara says with a wide smile.

     Ruby smiles weakly. Ruby looks out the window and Nara does the same.

     "Wow, we left the school," Ruby says.

     "I hadn't even noticed," Nara says astound.

     They both laugh together.

      "Our stop is next," Nara says.

     "You should come over today. Mom is making her special cookies," Ruby says.

    "You mean the ones with the melted chocolate chips that seems to just disolve in your mouth along with the cookie?" Nara asks.

    "Yeah," Ruby says excited.

    "All right I'll come over," Nara exclaims.

    The bus stops at a corner and they get out.

    "So, I'll see you in a couple minutes?"

    "Yeah"

    "Okay"

      Ruby walks across the street and into her house, which is right across from Nara's house. Nara walks into her house to see her parents sitting in the living room, quietly.

     "Nara, we need to talk," Mrs. Suki says.

     "About what? Am I in trouble?" Nara asks with worry in her voice.

     "No," Mr. Suki says.

     Nara sits on the couch, opposite from them. 

     "Nara, darling," Mrs. Suki starts," You're father and I had you and your sisters in mind when we did this."

     "Betha," Mr. Suki bellows at his wife.

     "I'm trying, Iani," she says.

     She sighs. 

     "Your father has a new job that pays more," Betha says.

     "That's cool," Nara says.

     "Yes, but, Nara," Betha chokes.

     "We're moving to Shanghai, China. Which is very far away from here." Mr. Suki snaps.

     Nara's heart skips a beat and shatters.

     "No," Nara says under her breath. 

     Emotions tumble all over her heart and tears begin to shed. Before anyone could say anything Nara is out the door and and at Ruby's front door. She calms herself down and wipes the tears away. She slowly knocks on the door. Thoughts of how she is going to tell her one and only friend she's leaving runs through her mind.  She is greeted by a red-eyed Ruby.

     "You know, too," Nara asks.

     Ruby nods and tears fall down her face. She wipes them away. Nara grabs her shoulders and pulls her towards her and holds her in her arms. Ruby begins to sob in her shoulders. Ruby's grasp on Nara's white school uniform blouse tightens and so does Nara's.  Many moments pass and Ruby's grasp and sobs come to a minimum. Nara lets her go and Ruby does so, too.  Nara looks at her. Ruby looks down at the ground, her hair hiding her face. Ruby turns toward the door.

      "My parents are waiting for us in the house," she says with her head still at the ground.

      Nara follows Ruby into the house. Once in the house Nara closes the door.  She is greeted by two unhappy parents.

       "Nara, the red headed freckled woman starts, "We're so sorry."

       "It's okay," Nara says, "it's not like you wanted this."

       "No, but we know you are hurt and so is Ruby," she says. 

       "Mrs. Powell," Nara says.

       "Nancy," the blonde man says to the redhead.

       "One minute, Paul," Nancy says.

       "Please take care of Ruby like you always have," Nara says. 

       Nara looks toward Ruby sitting on the couch, in another room, in fetal position. 

       "She's going to need you more than ever," she says turning toward Nancy. 

       "Of all her friends, you're the one to have to leave," Nancy says.

       Nara shrugs.

       "I'm going to try to comfort her," Nara says. 

       "Okay there's, um, cookies up on the counter if you want any," Nancy chokes. 

       Nara nods, turns around, and walks toward the room that Ruby is in. Once she reaches the entrance she hears sobs and whines. She walks up to Ruby, sits behind her, and wraps her arms around Ruby's shoulders and cries on her back shoulders.  Ruby grabs Nara's left hand and holds it tight. 

       "I hate this," Nara says.

       "China should die," Ruby says. 

       Nara chuckles with tears still rolling down her face.

      "Nara," Ruby asks.

      "Hm?"

      "Of all my friends you are the best. You aren't just my friend, or my best friend, you're my sister."

      "And you are mine, too."

      Ruby grabs a shiny necklace out of her pocket and puts it in Nara's hand.  Nara's eyes widen. 

           "Ruby, I can't take that," she says, "that was your brother's."

           "He said that this necklace will help me find him. I'm now giving it to you so you can find me. My search for him can wait. Promise me you'll search  for me."

            Nara's grip grows tighter.

            "I promise," she says with tears falling.

             The night draws nearer and so does the next morning. The phone rings and Nancy answers it.

              "Hello," she asks.

               "Nancy," someone asks.

               "Betha, how are you?"

               "Not so good, I'm afraid. I need Nara and I'll send Saphire over."

               "Okay." 

              "Okay?"

              "Yeah, I'll send her right over."

               "Thank you."

               "Uh-huh, good night and safe travels."

               "Thank you and same to you."

               Nancy hangs the phone up. She walks over to the room Nara and Ruby are in. They're on the couch, Ruby and Nara are lying on their stomachs.

               "Nara," Nancy calls from the entranceway. 

               Nara and Ruby shoot their heads up.

             "Your mother wants you home."

         Ruby's heart shatters once more and she begins to bawl.  Nara wipes the tears from her eyes and nods. She and Ruby hug eachother for the last time. 

        "Bye," Ruby whispers in sobs.

        "Bye," Nara whispers back.

        Nara puts on the necklace that Ruby had recieved from her brother, gets up from the couch, and walks toward the doorway. Nancy gives her a hug and walks her out. 

        "Try to have fun," Nancy says.

         Nara gives a weak smile and nods.  She walks across the yard, across the road, and catches Saphire. They both hug and wish good luck upon eachother and head on to their homes with tears in their eyes. Nara reaches the front door, takes one last glance at her friends' house and walks in.    



© 2008 White Rose


Author's Note

White Rose
Comment if you want. HOPE YOU"VE ENJOYED IT!!!!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I LOVE THIS STORY SO FAR!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 15, 2008


Author

White Rose
White Rose

Constanta, Dobrogea, Romania



About
When the door to darkness opens up, it'll reveal all that is sad and evil, the hearts of the world will shrivel and die, the heroes will fall and be forgotten, then it'll be up to the people, the.. more..

Writing
I wish I wish

A Poem by White Rose


Voice Voice

A Poem by White Rose


Colors Colors

A Poem by White Rose